Why not give McCarron an honest chance?

Just now, Manther said:

TT had almost the same team last year and the roster will be slightly better when the season starts even if we trade most of our picks (which I don't think we do or need to do to move up).  

McCarron is better than TT.  IMO the deck is not stacked against McCarron.

Based on what? He'll have to prove that he is. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

LOL.  It was the height that scared most teams off.  We passed on a QB that year because we though Ryan Fitzpatrick would excel with the right team around him which is kind of my point.

Except he didn’t have a great team around him. There was no excuse for passing on Wilson.

37 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

He was in Saban’s pro-style offense.  He played well in big games, won two national championships.  Is used to taking snaps under center.  Has a 66.9% accuracy percentage which is better than every other QB prospect in this year’s draft besides Mayfield.  He has now had a couple of years to sit behind Andy Dalton, a solid NFL QB, and acclimate to the NFL, and has looked good in spot duty when Dalton was out.

I think going up to pick 2 is going to take all of our draft capital.  I’d rather give McCarron an honest chance to be our QB.  Surround him with talent from this year’s draft and let’s see what the kid can do.

Accuracy percentages 2017

Mayfield. 70.1%

Rosen      62.6%

Darnold   63.1%

Allen        56.3%

Jackson  59.1%

McCarron career 66.9%

We might but only  if we are unable to land one of the big four.

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Except he didn’t have a great team around him. There was no excuse for passing on Wilson.

A lot of other teams passed on him as well.  Plus, we had Buddy Nix as GM so there's that.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

There is a lot to like about McCarron and he has 4 yrs of learning under his belt.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/aj-mccarron?id=2543497

Something tells me you’re slightly biased  ? , I’m willing to give McCarron a chance, but the reality is that his skill set translates to a backup in the pros. Hopefully I’m wrong. It would just be a mistake to go all in on McCarron as the franchise guy. He couldn’t even beat out Dalton in Cincy.1 It’d be the same mistake we made with Edwards and Fitz by giving a backup level talent too long to prove himself as a starter.  

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Agreed McCarron will have to prove it.  And, him being better than TT is based on my opinion.  And, that McCarron is more of a QB than an athlete.  TT has been beaten to death, so, I won't add on.  IMO McCarron is better than TT.  I hope I am right.  But, my opinion is based mostly on process of elimination and TT's low ceiling.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

A lot of other teams passed on him as well.  Plus, we had Buddy Nix as GM so there's that.

I lived in WI at the time and was quite familiar with Wilson.

Just now, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Something tells me you’re slightly biased  ? , I’m willing to give McCarron a chance, but the reality is that his skill set translates to a backup in the pros. Hopefully I’m wrong. It would just be a mistake to go all in on McCarron as the franchise guy. He couldn’t even beat out Dalton in Cincy.1 It’d be the same mistake we made with Edwards and Fitz by giving a backup level talent too long to prove himself as a starter.  

Not saying go all in on McCarron. Draft a QB, but don’t give up the draft board.

1 minute ago, Manther said:

Agreed McCarron will have to prove it.  And, him being better than TT is based on my opinion.  And, that McCarron is more of a QB than an athlete.  TT has been beaten to death, so, I won't add on.  IMO McCarron is better than TT.  I hope I am right.  But, my opinion is based mostly on process of elimination and TT's low ceiling.

McCarron is a pocket passer who played under center in a pro style offense. He has nothing to do with TT.

30 minutes ago, par73 said:

McCarron has had four years to challenge Andy Dalton in Cincinnati, and there has never been talk of a real competition. A fifth round draft pick-- with obvious limitations who will never be mistaken for a franchise guy (or even a true starter).

If McCarron starts, it will either be because the rookie needs time, or the Bills were unable to get the guy they want.

McCarron will be the starter this season.  I guarantee it unless he gets hurt.  They signed him to start this year and be the QB2 next year.  

1 minute ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

The story of Dak’s career has yet to be written. People are still stuck on his rookie season. He needs to prove himself this year. 

But you want to give up the draft board for Darnold or Rosen?

Just now, Sky Diver said:

McCarron is a pocket passer who played under center in a pro style offense. He has nothing to do with TT.

McCarron was just an okay QB with CIn in 2015 when he surrounded by excellent talent with AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert.  He's a game manager at the NFL level and that's exactly why he was left standing when all of the QB chairs were filled except for the Bills.   I think he'll be decent, but we should all want more than that. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Batman1876 said:

So many people seem to prefer taking low probability long shots and hoping to beat the odds. If we don’t move up to get a Big Ben and instead decide that Losman and a few extra picks will be the better  choice I’ll cry. 

Is not taking low probability long shots and hoping to beat the odds another way to describe giving up a large part of your draft to move up to get a QB prospect all of whom have warts of various types?  

2 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

So many people seem to prefer taking low probability long shots and hoping to beat the odds. If we don’t move up to get a Big Ben and instead decide that Losman and a few extra picks will be the better  choice I’ll cry. 

Where is the proof that we are going to get a Big Ben by giving up our draft board? We could give up a ton of picks and still get Losman.

There is an element of luck here.

With all of our picks we are certain to get some very good players.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McCarron was just an okay QB with CIn in 2015 when he surrounded by excellent talent with AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert.  He's a game manager at the NFL level and that's exactly why he was left standing when all of the QB chairs were filled except for the Bills.   I think he'll be decent, but we should all want more than that. 

He showed potential when thrown into difficult situations. That’s about all you can say at this point.

Cleveland was going to give up 2nd and 3rd round picks for him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Which takes us back to if he can have 250 yard games which is fairly pedestrian then would he not more than suffice if we complement McCoy with RB's (which we have already started to do) to maybe have a top 7 running game.  If we give McDermott his MLB so he can produce at least a top 10 defense in terms of yards allowed.  It's wonderful to want everything all at once but the above objectives if met would give us a team that would for sure contend into the divisional round then tweak it to go the rest of the way.