Inside the Pylon: AJ McCarron - The Trait-Based Evolution

AJ McCarron: The Trait-Based Evolution

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/teams-nfl/afc-north/cincinnati-bengals/2018/02/21/aj-mccarron-the-trait-based-evolution/

Recently, AJ McCarron became a unrestricted free agent in the wake of his arbitration case with the Cincinnati Bengals. Many on the interwebs have questioned his market, namely whether McCarron should demand any real attention? His time in Cincinnati was limited to four starts in three years, all of which were in 2015, as he was stuck behind incumbent starter Andy Dalton. Drafted in the fifth round, his knocks from his time at Alabama (where he was a three year starter) ranged from issues with the deep ball to a lack of mobility and athleticism. This deep dive is an attempt to get a sense of where he is now as a player and understand his strengths and weaknesses. This is an honest attempt to take the bad in with the good, and as usual, the evidence will show that there is much more than meets the eye initially.

• Thank you (+1) 2

That's a good take. Admittedly, I'm not superfan enough to have reviewed his All 22's, but based on his highlights, looks like his deep stuff has improved. That said, if it's still not that great, as long as HE knows that and doesn't try to force throws beyond his range the way Fitz used to, he's going to be a good/great game manager-bridge guy.

• Like (+1) 1

Actually that article tells me more about why Hue traded for Tyrod.  Seems like his offense (now) is more about throwing to a pre-defined spot regardless of whether the receiver is open or what the defense is doing, with a focus on fades/deep outs.  Tyrod won't have to process as much during the play.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Actually that article tells me more about why Hue traded for Tyrod.  Seems like his offense (now) is more about throwing to a pre-defined spot regardless of whether the receiver is open or what the defense is doing, with a focus on fades/deep outs.  Tyrod won't have to process as much during the play.

Tyrod is deficienct in processing AND timing throws.

If he's in an offense that's 1, 2 ball out, he's doomed. Expect 2017 level production in CLE.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think they want Haley to run the offense now but Hue won’t like that. Haley isn’t used to what you describe. He is used to trusting the QB and Wr to make the play. Should be interesting. 

21 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Tyrod has never been able to do that. The thing he does have going for him, however, is the "regardless what the defense is doing" since he doesnt make pre-snap reads well anyways.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Tyrod is deficienct in processing AND timing throws.

If he's in an offense that's 1, 2 ball out, he's doomed. Expect 2017 level production in CLE.

Accuracy not that great either. Can't believe the hype he is getting on the NFL network currently.

33 minutes ago, Direhard Fan said:

Cheaper than TT.  That's all I see.  Another backup QB just like TT was and he didn't pan out.  I still would rather have TT .  

than AJM?  so, you're a fan of bad QB play?

43 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

that's the year he played 5-7 games. Do you want 2017 film when he played 2?

39 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

okay, so

thanks for sharing OP

If you read the article, the author makes the point that this evaluation is based on how he played 3 years ago.  That's all I'm saying.

In 2015, he played in 7 games.  In the first 3 he had 0, 1, and 3 pass attempts.  He had 3 starts plus played ost of another game.  Completed 76 passes over 4 games.

The point was made in the article that there is little to dive deep on with AJM and nothing recently. 

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

than AJM?  so, you're a fan of bad QB play?

The beauty of AJM's NFL career is that he hasn't had to play hardly at all.  And when he did, he wasn't Nate Peterman.

So the legend just grows while he rides the pines...until he gets his next contract.

He should consider retiring now as the greatest Bama QB to play in the NFL since Jeff Rutledge.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The beauty of AJM's NFL career is that he hasn't had to play hardly at all.  And when he did, he wasn't Nate Peterman.

So the legend just grows while he rides the pines...until he gets his next contract.

He should consider retiring now as the greatest Bama QB to play in the NFL since Jeff Rutledge.

Or, alternatively, the Bills FO saw something in him that maybe some smoothbrained forums poster doesn't?

22 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Or, alternatively, the Bills FO saw something in him that maybe some smoothbrained forums poster doesn't?

Obviously.  And good on them--they got a solid backup (maybe more) for Chase Daniels money.

But regarding forum posters.....much was made about Foles and Keenum and whether they "are REALLY any good", despite both (particularly Foles) having a lot of product to base an opinion on.  Yet AJC has nothing to look at (a mini-handful of games 3 years ago, not withstanding) and the same smoothbrained forum posters are trying to convince us of all the great things he does at QB.  It's a double standard worth pointing out, no?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you read the article, the author makes the point that this evaluation is based on how he played 3 years ago.  That's all I'm saying.

In 2015, he played in 7 games.  In the first 3 he had 0, 1, and 3 pass attempts.  He had 3 starts plus played ost of another game.  Completed 76 passes over 4 games.

The point was made in the article that there is little to dive deep on with AJM and nothing recently. 

obviously most know he's had little starting experience. it must be nice to be able to judge based off so little.

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

obviously most know he's had little starting experience. it must be nice to be able to judge based off so little.

They do it anyway.

No one knows how good he can be.   Or how bad he might be.

As long as the kids smart he will pick it up.

Can you name a more unathletic looking QB than the Goat TB?

But he sure can spread the ball around.

Here is hoping AJ can be 1/2 as good and earn all of that incentive money.

i listened to gr and 950all day. i cannot believe the ignorance displayed by so many so called fans.

1.)" if a.j. was so good...why didn't he unseat dalton?"  well how about dalton was drafted and paid as a franchise qb and marvin lewis would not allow any qb controversy to occur. not to mention dalton took cincy to the playoffs almost every year since he was drafted...3 rounds higher.

2.) we could have just landed one helluva qb that could have us fighting for the division title this year. he is heads and above any qb we've had since kelly and that includes bledsoe. ....but people always have to make ignorant snark.

3.) i'm all for drafting mayfield....but just because we draft a qb in the 1st doesn't mean we have to throw a qb whose goin to be winning games under the bus just because he was drafted high. if he sits a year and then there's a competition, fine....not to mention that we didn't have to give a lot up to get us in the position we are in. tt for the 1st in the 3rd and cordy to move up 9 spots?....merry christmas to us.

4.) having a.j. doesn't mean we have to move up. josh allen will most likely be there at 12 if we want to take a project. my prediction all along has been that we will deal with the browns for no.4. the tt trade laid the groundwork, and the signs are obvious that's where we're heading.

lastly...aj. could be that franchise type of qb that the front office feels fine staying at 12 and seeing what falls to us. maybe they take r. smith or vita vea( we need one more young stud dt) and take rudolph at 22. maybe if things fall a certain way , they trade back for more picks and possibly someone's next years 1st. either way, right now we have 12/22 vs 21/22 thanks to simply moving an oft injured lt.

these guys got the bases covered. they are ready for any possible scenario. a.j. is going to turn out to be the steal of the year and put us on the map. we won't need a miracle for at least a wc spot. yet some posters( mainly the 3 year e.j.supporters and 3 yr.tt supporters) will criticize any move they make at qb.

this staff has it together like i have never seen since polian/levy. i have never had so much faith and hope in this fo since the sb era. i am out of my mind excited to see what happens each and every day. thank you so much terry and kim!!!!