Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I really feel like that’s the Sweet spot for him. I do not think he will go in the top 10 but you could grab him there at 12 before the teens where i think he could potentially fall. I would not take him in the top 5. 

If Beane has a QB in mind that he loves and has the cojones to wait until number 12 to take him, and it actually works, that would be GM of the year material. We will build a shrine in his honor in Buffalo! Please let that happen.

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree they all need a QB. But they likely won’t reach for one.  I just don’t think he will go that high. Maybe I’m wrong, but he’s not an elite prospect. Yet I see him as a top 20 player in this draft. I would love for him to be the guy the Bills draft. Just think he will be there at 12. 

Yeah I think they want to throw the rookie in ASAP and get on with it. We will see!

I agree with you on Baker sliding.  I think A LOT of teams have him as 4th on their board and he's probably a lot closer to Jackson than the guy who is 3rd on a lot of teams boards.

Teams like measurables, it potentially cost Brees and Wilson entire rounds on their draft standing. Things have changed a bit since then, but the measurables of the QBs taken a the top of the draft haven't. I think teams, especially with high picks, are going to default to a 6'4" guy if the evaluation is anywhere close.

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

If Beane has a QB in mind that he loves and has the cojones to wait until number 12 to take him, and it actually works, that would be GM of the year material. We will build a shrine in his honor in Buffalo! Please let that happen.

LOL, I've thought the same thing.  You got "cojones" to bring it up!

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I agree with you on Baker sliding.  I think A LOT of teams have him as 4th on their board and he's probably a lot closer to Jackson than the guy who is 3rd on a lot of teams boards.

Teams like measurables, it potentially cost Brees and Wilson entire rounds on their draft standing. Things have changed a bit since then, but the measurables of the QBs taken a the top of the draft haven't. I think teams, especially with high picks, are going to default to a 6'4" guy if the evaluation is anywhere close.

Haven't we had enough experience with QB's that have good measureables but suck?

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

He has two things not on his side when it comes to the elite section at the top of the draft: 1. his height dictates he needs a specific type of scheme. This can’t be changed. And not every team is prepared for that scheme. It doesn’t mean he can’t or won’t be the next Drew Brees. It does mean he’s not a universal slam dunk. 2. The red flags on his character are real. They are out there. He is being followed by a PI in Norman, set up by an nfl team. SOP? No. Not for every QB prospect. Could he go top 10? Sure. I just don’t think he will at the end of the day. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

22 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Why do I have a feeling a lot of the posters who like Baker more than Rosen have a shared political affiliation.

Oh boy. While I might privately agree with your suggestion, I try to avoid that kind of discourse on a sports discussion forum.

Generally leads to less-than-brilliant discussions...

9 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Haven't we had enough experience with QB's that have good measureables but suck?

Allen is the more justifiable prospect.  "I took a chance on the 6'4" guy with a rocket arm" sells a lot better in NFL circles than "I took a chance on the 6'0" guy from the Big 12". 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He has two things not on his side when it comes to the elite section at the top of the draft: 1. his height dictates he needs a specific type of scheme. This can’t be changed. And not every team is prepared for that scheme. It doesn’t mean he can’t or won’t be the next Drew Brees. It does mean he’s not a universal slam dunk. 2. The red flags on his character are real. They are out there. He is being followed by a PI in Norman, set up by an nfl team. SOP? No. Not for every QB prospect. Could he go top 10? Sure. I just don’t think he will at the end of the day. 

Could not agree more.  There's always drama with Baker, which will scare teams away. And I completely agree about putting him in the right scheme.  For fans who watched Baker win the Heisman at the center of the college landscape, I get having difficulty putting him above the guy who played in Wyoming and never appeared on TV, but NFL personnel and scouts are drooling over Allen (not to mention Darnold & Rosen) and are terrified of Baker.

Allen is the more justifiable prospect.  "I took a chance on the 6'4" guy with a rocket arm" sells a lot better in NFL circles than "I took a chance on the 6'0" guy from the Big 12". 

And you end up with Rob Johnson, JP Losman, and EJ Manual.

17 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Oh boy. While I might privately agree with your suggestion, I try to avoid that kind of discourse on a sports discussion forum.

Generally leads to less-than-brilliant discussions...

I agree.  Not the place.  Just seeing some similarities.  

13 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

And you end up with Rob Johnson, JP Losman, and EJ Manual.

I don't know what to tell you.  Smarter football minds than you like Allen more than Baker.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I agree.  Not the place.  Just seeing some similarities.  

I don't know what to tell you.  Smarter football minds than you like Allen more than Baker.

Nothing wrong with having measurables provided tha tyou can play.

Wait a minute, wait a minute - wait a minute!  (Anyone remember the tiny tot of the KW guy?  The press box hostesses hated him at then pilot field when I worked the suites one summer).

Does this mean that yesterday's nonsense thread about a twitter prediction of huge news (deleted around 4:30 yesterday, perhaps due to me) was actually right??

Edited by sleeby

11 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Nothing wrong with having measurables provided tha tyou can play.

If Allen played at Oklahoma with their talent and Lincoln Riley I think he is likely the #1 pick in this draft, while Baker at Wyoming with their talent is likely a borderline 1st round pick, if that.

52 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

If Whaley wasn't needed for draft he c would have been dismissed way before then and Beane would of been brought in . Maybe we would have our QB by now. Since Mcd didn't trust Whaley to take Mahomes .

Dude....seriously, it's time to build a bridge and get over it. Why in God's name would a HC, knowing the GM and his staff are out the door, spend a high Draft pick on a QB the next GM didn't pick?? Then we'd spend the next three years figuring out if he was the right pick, who to blame and what needs to be done to fix it...if it didn't work...sound familiar? Like, I don't know, EJ Manuel and Buddy Nix on his way out the door. McD did the right thing in acquiring more Draft capital for what is believed to be one of the best QB Drafts in nearly 14 years....this was the smart move...please stop complaining and move on....

• Like (+1) 1

If Allen played at Oklahoma with their talent and Lincoln Riley I think he is likely the #1 pick in this draft, while Baker at Wyoming with their talent is likely a borderline 1st round pick, if that.

I don't have anything against Allen.

9 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Baker at Wyoming, nobody would even know who he is honestly. 

• Like (+1) 1