Josh Allen one of the most overrated QB prospects this decade

Yeezus

There’s no questioning his physical potential, but the reality is that Allen was just never a stellar quarterback at Wyoming in the first place. He needs a stellar supporting cast and a line that gives him all day otherwise his throws get real bad. He is not a day one starter he is a QB to stash behind a franchise worthy QB for a few seasons and hope he cleans his game up IMO. I wouldn't touch him till late 1st round early 2nd.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Big Ben had a 69.1 completion percentage his Jr. year (before the draft); Allen has 56%.  

1 minute ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

He played on a terrible team. Put him with talent and he will shine. Also give him some protection. 

Why was he on a terrible team?  Not highly scouted?  A franchise QB makes the team around him better.  If he needs a "great team," then he needs to be drafted by a team that has better WR's than us.  In fact, the Steelers should trade up and make him Ben's backup.  

1 minute ago, xRUSHx said:

There’s no questioning his physical potential, but the reality is that Allen was just never a stellar quarterback at Wyoming in the first place. He needs a stellar supporting cast and a line that gives him all day otherwise his throws get real bad. He is not a day one starter he is a QB to stash behind a franchise worthy QB for a few seasons and hope he cleans his game up IMO.

exactly.   He could be a star, someday, but he cannot start day 1.  We need a guy who can.  Only two really fit that bill: Rosen and Mayfield.  

Wouldn't surprise me if Indy perhaps grabbed him.  

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

Can't think of many others that are projected this high in the draft with the skillset he has. 

he is literally being hyped solely based on his physical attributes. Height, weight, big hands. All factors that are virtually irrelevant when it comes to QB's translating into the NFL. 

Yet GM's are putting this guy infront of actual talents like Mayfield, Rosen, and Jackson, guys who have shown they have far more talent than Allen, but lack the physical size. It's a joke. 

Josh Allen has the skill set of a 5th round QB, the fact that he is being compared to Wentz is hysterical. He is one of the most inaccurate QB's in the ENTIRE DRAFT.  I can't even imagine wasting all of our hard work to take a guy who is a glorified JP Loseman. Lets throw away real skills like reading defenses, accuracy, footwork, QB vision. Allen is not good at any of these things, but he has 10 inch hands so let's put the franchise on his back. 

Every year there is always 1 team who gets suckered into these type of QB's, drafts them far too high, and wonders why they are looking for another QB in 2-3 years bc the guy they drafted has thrown more picks than TD's and still can't read an NFL defense. Please don't let the Bills become this team. 

As someone who has watched or attended every one of Allen's games as a college QB, I'm super impressed that you have a better idea as to how Josh Allen will be as a pro QB than myself, NFL scouts, analysts, coaches, etc.  You have a real talent.  And I'm only being half sarcastic; I'm not saying he's the be-all-end-all or that he's even the first QB on my board but the degree of certainty in your post is astonishing.

• Like (+1) 1

The guy is a legit talent but he needs to sit and learn behind a QB that knows what they are doing. He would have been great in NY behind Eli for 2 yrs. If he goes to the Bills who is he going to learn from? McCaron? He will beat him out and then get thrown in too early and flame out. Who do we even have as a QB coach? We are putting all of these resources into selecting a young QB but then what are we going to do to make sure they are successful?

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Big Ben had a 69.1 completion percentage his Jr. year (before the draft); Allen has 56%.  

Why was he on a terrible team?  Not highly scouted?  A franchise QB makes the team around him better.  If he needs a "great team," then he needs to be drafted by a team that has better WR's than us.  In fact, the Steelers should trade up and make him Ben's backup.  

exactly.   He could be a star, someday, but he cannot start day 1.  We need a guy who can.  Only two really fit that bill: Rosen and Mayfield.  

Uggghh this is exhausting.  You realize he was really good his sophomore year, which was his first year as a college QB and was named first team MWC QB and was the MWC preseason player of the year going into this year, right?  For Christ's sake, people act like he sucked in college.  He was the best player on the football field almost every game he played in.  And yes, he lost everyone going into this past season and was playing with unheralded freshmen at every last skill position.  I could go on but it doesn't seem to matter.  I can't wait for this to be over.  

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you're scouting Allen off his highlight reel (which it seems like many people do this time of year), he looks amazing. 

But when you watch him play entire games, not so much... 

He may have the highest ceiling of any QB in this draft, but I think it'll take a perfect scenario, and maybe a bit of luck, for him to reach it.

If yoire trading up for a QB it's already a huge risk. No reason to make that risk even higher by going with such a total boom or bust QB prospect. 

Plus, Accuracy issues can be pretty hard to fix.

The only one I can think of that has ever succeeded in the NFL with a 56% completion percentage is Matt Stafford. But when you look at his career lege career, Stafford had a 55% comp. his first 2 years in college, but then he improved that to 61% in his final college season. So he wasn't entering the draft after throwing for 56% comp. He had already shown the ability to be more accurate over a full college season. He had steadily improved over his 3 years in college, too. 

Ill get excited about and support whatever QB the Bills take. But I'd prefer someone other than Allen. But I'm not expert, so I'll defer to their judgement. It would be quite a swing for the fences drafting Allen though. If he hit his ceiling, we'd be set for a decade +. 

Edited by BillsFan4

I will only be good with 3 QBs in this draft at this point, Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold because they are home run, slam dunk Franchise QBs and we have everything we need to go get one.

Allen and Lamar Jackson are in a different category of tremendous, generational talent upside players but their floors are out of the league in 5 years(or a WR for another team). And of the two i would prefer Lamar Jackson

In beane I trust

I have not been high on Allen, but he was solid in front of the entire NFL and fan base at the combine. I am not sure how smart he is, but he has a chance to do quite well. I still rank the QBs Darnold, Rosen, Allen, then little Mayfield. I think the NFL is producing QBs at a faster rate with the pass friendly league. If Allen has the right coaching staff he can be successful. If he had Mayfield's will to win I would take him #1. If Mayfield could shop in the adult section I would choose him #1.

I agree.  I've watched every throw from 4-5 of his college games and I don't like Allen as a prospect at all.

Does he have a strong arm?  Yes.

Does he have the accuracy or pocket presence neccesary to play at a high level in the NFL?  Not even close.

I will be incredibly disappointed if this is the guy the Bills bet their future on.  After loving Mahomes as a prospect...to pass on him for someone as weak as Allen would be a total let down.  

Darnold.  Let's hope he's the target.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Yeezus said:

Can't think of many others that are projected this high in the draft with the skillset he has. 

he is literally being hyped solely based on his physical attributes. Height, weight, big hands. All factors that are virtually irrelevant when it comes to QB's translating into the NFL. 

Yet GM's are putting this guy infront of actual talents like Mayfield, Rosen, and Jackson, guys who have shown they have far more talent than Allen, but lack the physical size. It's a joke. 

Josh Allen has the skill set of a 5th round QB, the fact that he is being compared to Wentz is hysterical. He is one of the most inaccurate QB's in the ENTIRE DRAFT.  I can't even imagine wasting all of our hard work to take a guy who is a glorified JP Loseman. Lets throw away real skills like reading defenses, accuracy, footwork, QB vision. Allen is not good at any of these things, but he has 10 inch hands so let's put the franchise on his back. 

Every year there is always 1 team who gets suckered into these type of QB's, drafts them far too high, and wonders why they are looking for another QB in 2-3 years bc the guy they drafted has thrown more picks than TD's and still can't read an NFL defense. Please don't let the Bills become this team. 

There are a lot of questions about him. I personally don't want him. 

But having said that, when you say, "he is literally being hyped solely based on his physical attributes," you're wildly exaggerating. Yeah, that's the first thing people talk about. But he has more than that going. If he didn't he wouldn't be being considered the way he is.

1 hour ago, Yeezus said:

It's easy to blast Josh Allen for not putting up huge totals but as i stated before in a few other Josh Allen threads, some might look at his totals as a miracle that he was even able to produce those numbers with the talentless team he had around him, someone will need to check for sure but I read in an article about Allen that he will not have 1 offensive teammate drafted, not 1, no OL/TE or WR. again someone will have to check for sure but if that's the case he was pretty darn good. You could see flashes of greatness at the Senior Bowl with throwing to guys who actually know how to catch the football, he made several very accurate "NFL" types of throws.

• Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Nobody should start Rosen or Mayfield either. All of this group would do well to sit and learn for probably a year.

What a QB does in his first year should have little to do with the decision of whether to draft him. You draft a guy based on the kind of career you think he might have.

I'm not an Allen fan, but I figure Beane knows more than me. And I hope that if they pick Rosen or Mayfield, both of whom I like, that they start them on the bench till their heads stop spinning.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, xRUSHx said:

If they move up just to draft him the scouts should be fired before the season even starts. Got to be blind to think Allen will do anything in this league in the 1st 2 years if ever.

Which of the Wyoming games really caught your attention that he was going to be a bust ?????

1 hour ago, xRUSHx said:

Looks great in shorts just like Trent Edwards

Weak, very weak sorry

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

You are spot on.  He has terrible accuracy at WYOMING.  He has played terribly against Power 5 teams.  And anytime someone says, "His big arm would be great in Buffalo" I want to throw something.  You know who else has strong arms: Mayfield (gets windy in Oklahoma), Rosen, L. Jackson, and Darnold.  Take one of them.  I'd take L. Falk or Mike White over J. Allen

I like Mike White as well but the comments is ridiculous. Falk is a scrub who was getting benched off and on because he couldn't get to the second read. AND WSU usually had only two, sometimes three reads. Better think that one over. Allen needs three things. 1. Time to develop 2. A skilled QB coach who can correct his FOOTWORK  (ergo the inaccuracy at times) and 3. Getting rid of the ball sooner and not trusting his bazooka to make the play. Those won't work in the pros.  Just my opinion but I agree with almost everything I said !!!!

54 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

There are a lot of questions about him. I personally don't want him. 

But having said that, when you say, "he is literally being hyped solely based on his physical attributes," you're wildly exaggerating. Yeah, that's the first thing people talk about. But he has more than that going. If he didn't he wouldn't be being considered the way he is.

Exaggeration is the weapon of those unable to complete a deep argument. Personal attacks also can also be a sword in the arsenal for many. I don't know if will be make it. But the arguments against him by many.... not all, are people who are just reading the reports of others. Read enough negative and pretty soon it's assumed that it's fact. He looks more like a young Roethlisberger in the highlight reel. We'll see how it translates. I really don't LOVE any of these QB's but they are all going in the Top 40 picks in my estimation. 

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY
  • Like (+1) 1