Josh Allen one of the most overrated QB prospects this decade

Yeezus

42 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Find one quarterback drafted in the last fifteen years with a less than 57% completion percentage in college that was a hit.   I cant seem to find one.  I think he is a gigantic risk.  As far as being a similar athlete to Cam Newton, pretty sure Cam is about 30 pounds heavier and runs a 4.5 compared to Allen's 4.7

he is in no shape or form a similar athlete to Cam. 

Just b/c he has a simlair size, are you !@#$ing kidding me? 

the LB's and Dlinemen in the NFL will eat Allen for breakfast, Cam actually has agility and shiftyness, Allen has none of that

1 minute ago, Mopreme said:

You cannot teach size. Josh Allen should be the guy. Remember Big Ben?  Wentz clone.  Allen had limited talent at Wyoming. Look what he did with Talent at the senior bowl. He was the best qb at the combine.  Bills need to stay clear form the Cali boys. My second choice would be Mayfield. Former walk on who prospered as a potential franchise guy.  Great attitude and a winner.  

NO ONE CARES ABOUT SIZE

ITS IRRELEVANT. Stop comparing him to Big ben. Josh Allen is one of the most inaccurate QB's to come out of the draft in the last 10 years. 

He is literally EJ Manuel clone with a slightly stronger arm.

Edited by Yeezus
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Yeezus said:

Can't think of many others that are projected this high in the draft with the skillset he has. 

he is literally being hyped solely based on his physical attributes. Height, weight, big hands. All factors that are virtually irrelevant when it comes to QB's translating into the NFL. 

Yet GM's are putting this guy infront of actual talents like Mayfield, Rosen, and Jackson, guys who have shown they have far more talent than Allen, but lack the physical size. It's a joke. 

Josh Allen has the skill set of a 5th round QB, the fact that he is being compared to Wentz is hysterical. He is one of the most inaccurate QB's in the ENTIRE DRAFT.  I can't even imagine wasting all of our hard work to take a guy who is a glorified JP Loseman. Lets throw away real skills like reading defenses, accuracy, footwork, QB vision. Allen is not good at any of these things, but he has 10 inch hands so let's put the franchise on his back. 

Every year there is always 1 team who gets suckered into these type of QB's, drafts them far too high, and wonders why they are looking for another QB in 2-3 years bc the guy they drafted has thrown more picks than TD's and still can't read an NFL defense. Please don't let the Bills become this team. 

Just not measurables that he has. He can throw 90 yards in the air. He can throw long, medium and short passes, basically hit any pass needed. He is mobile, very athletic. Yes, he has accuracy issues, footwork needs work, he is known to be cocky (knows he is gifted) and a leader which Rosen is not. He will not start 1st year so you need a veteran to play this year, maybe next but if he makes it he will be a star! 

your wrong, watch this. I see a lot of running and juking in this video, he is even driving for TD'S. you could not be more wrong 

6 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

the LB's and Dlinemen in the NFL will eat Allen for breakfast, Cam actually has agility and shiftyness, Allen has none of that

your wrong, watch this. I see a lot of running and juking in this video, he is even driving for TD'S. you could not be more wrong 

CAM NEWTON wishes he could make these throws on the run in this video 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074

1 minute ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Just not measurables that he has. He can throw 90 yards in the air. He can throw long, medium and short passes, basically hit any pass needed. He is mobile, very athletic. Yes, he has accuracy issues, footwork needs work, he is known to be cocky (knows he is gifted) and a leader which Rosen is not. He will not start 1st year so you need a veteran to play this year, maybe next but if he makes it he will be a star! 

In what way does throwing 90 yards in the air translate to being able to hit every throw? He doesn't just have accuracy issues, he is insanely inaccurate. Like the fact that a QB with his stats is even being considered a 1st rounder ahead of guys like Mayfield and Jackson is embarrassing for the NFL. 

no one gives a rats ass if he can throw long, go look at his deep ball accuracy, he was playing against some of the worst competition out of any top QB coming out and he still can't put up good numbers.

what do you think will happen when he comes to the NFL? 

3 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

NO ONE CARES ABOUT SIZE

ITS IRRELEVANT. Stop comparing him to Big ben. Josh Allen is one of the most inaccurate QB's to come out of the draft in the last 10 years. 

He is literally EJ Manuel clone with a slightly stronger arm.

Nonsense.  So let’s get a QB who throws screens to inflate his percentage. 

5 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Yes, it is called nepotism.  There are probably several people on this board who would be better scouts, GM's and coaches than a lot of people in the NFL, if they had the time to devote their life to it as a career.  Lots and lots of people who are in the NFL fraternity are there because of who they know.  

If the NFL was filled with the most qualified/knowledgeable people, every team would have been running their team like the Eagles are now 10-15 years ago.  The fact that the Eagles in 2017 were the first team to put the  numbers into practice on the field, should tell you all you need to know about what an old boys network the NFL is.  The data has been sitting out there for over a decade for everyone to see and yet only one team has taken advantage of the numbers.

I honestly think there are many Madden players who would be much, much better game managers than almost all NFL coaches.  People joke about Madden but is by far the best simulation of a real NFL game and Madden players who have simulated situations thousands of times have a much better understanding of when and when not to go for it.

It's similar to what happened with poker.  You used to have all the old timers, who all knew each other and they ran the show for awhile.  Then in 2003 Chris Moneymaker won the WSOP and poker exploded.  Most importantly online poker took off.  With that, players could now go through hundreds of poker hands in the time it would take to play one live game.  These online players began to understand the numbers and situations better and better.  Now all those old time poker players, save a few are long gone and it's all young kids who came up playing online dominating the game.  They have seen the simulations and know how to manage the situations much better than those who came before them.

I don't think this should be the favorite for WORST post of the year but is a slam dunk winner in the category of "MOST DUMB AND IGNORANT POST OF THE YEAR:. This is blatantly ridiculous. I coached for seventeen until a car wreck made me this whiny old  cripple !, and my son for ten in JC and FCS and we would love to coach any "Mom's basement" characters out there. Not trying to boast whatsoever you just don't know what you don't know !

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

thank you so much for showing this

everyone should watch this video. Bc 95% of those throws are him going out the pocket when things break and just hooving it downfield. 

You can't do that in the NFL. NFL QB's need to be able to sit in the pocket, dissect the defense, make multiple reads and find the open target. Josh Allen IS NOT good at this. Just like Tyrod wasn't. 

Can't believe after all the QB's we have had here people still want a guy like Allen, let some other team draft him and set their franchise back years. not ours

1 minute ago, Yeezus said:

thank you so much for showing this

everyone should watch this video. Bc 95% of those throws are him going out the pocket when things break and just hooving it downfield. 

You can't do that in the NFL. NFL QB's need to be able to sit in the pocket, dissect the defense, make multiple reads and find the open target. Josh Allen IS NOT good at this. Just like Tyrod wasn't. 

Can't believe after all the QB's we have had here people still want a guy like Allen, let some other team draft him and set their franchise back years. not ours

Are you kidding me he is showing he can throw on the run outside of the pocket like Rogers does, Like Stafford does, like Russell Wilson this guy is a pure pocket passer who can also leave the pocket and make incredible throws. this is the next great one. he has Favre or Elway type talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

He was a 2 star recruit coming out of high school who only got a chance to play Division 1 because Wyoming's target went to Syracuse instead. You don't go from literally no college wanting you to being a potential #1 overall pick without improving.

My top 2 are Lamar Jackson and Sam Darnold.

Carson Wentz ?????/ oh never mind #2 pick. My bad. he had some interest from, I believe it was Central Michigan, but no offer. I am not as big of an Allen fan as some of posts may appear, just am of the opinion that a player should be just solely on his talent---> including a multitude of factors.  OR, just hire an accomplished MADDEN player, yeah that's the ticket. 

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY
left a word out

Can't think of many others that are projected this high in the draft with the skillset he has. 

he is literally being hyped solely based on his physical attributes. Height, weight, big hands. All factors that are virtually irrelevant when it comes to QB's translating into the NFL. 

Yet GM's are putting this guy infront of actual talents like Mayfield, Rosen, and Jackson, guys who have shown they have far more talent than Allen, but lack the physical size. It's a joke. 

Josh Allen has the skill set of a 5th round QB, the fact that he is being compared to Wentz is hysterical. He is one of the most inaccurate QB's in the ENTIRE DRAFT.  I can't even imagine wasting all of our hard work to take a guy who is a glorified JP Loseman. Lets throw away real skills like reading defenses, accuracy, footwork, QB vision. Allen is not good at any of these things, but he has 10 inch hands so let's put the franchise on his back. 

Every year there is always 1 team who gets suckered into these type of QB's, drafts them far too high, and wonders why they are looking for another QB in 2-3 years bc the guy they drafted has thrown more picks than TD's and still can't read an NFL defense. Please don't let the Bills become this team. 

Allen finished his junior season with an unimpressive 16 touchdowns and six interceptions in 11 games, as well as five rushing touchdowns. Look this is not a great total but he also missed the last 2 games. Scoring 5 TD's running shows his athletic ability. He never has had great players around him. The more I read about this kid and see what he is made of makes me want Buffalo to find a way and draft this kid. I think he is the exception here. He also stayed at the school because he thought he owed it. If he came out after his sophomore year he would have been picked way ahead of Mahomes. Could have challenged to be a Top 5 pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Are you kidding me he is showing he can throw on the run outside of the pocket like Rogers does, Like Stafford does, like Russell Wilson this guy is a pure pocket passer who can also leave the pocket and make incredible throws. this is the next great one. he has Favre or Elway type talent. 

Which scares me Denver might take him at 5. They can sit him having signed Keenum. Question is do they need to pick a OL to protect Keenum. I would be Ok if Buffalo can get Cleveland's 4th pick and take him on draft day. I would not move till draft day, see what happens around you be flexible. Need to see who Cleveland picks with 1st pick. My bet it is Rosen or Baker. Giants will take RB, Indy who knows, OT or DE. Then Buffalo pounces!

Edited by USABuffaloFan

32 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

You forgetting Jim Kelly had a 55.6 carrer completion percentage in college and had a injured shoulder to boot. matt Stafford had 57.1 completion percentage in College and went 1st over all. kelly is in the Hall Of fame and stafford could end up there to. the Has John Elway type arm and he is mobile when he want to be. But also a pure pocket passer. Your getting Big Ben on steroids. he is build like a tree trunk and can sling it 80 yards. This guy needs some coaching and to play with better players in front of him. Will look back and say how did we pass on this guy, he is that good 

jim kelly college stats middle of the first round pick 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jim-kelly-2.html

matt staffords stats  number 1 over all pick 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/matthew-stafford-1.html

Stafford had 61% his senior year so he is over the “reached 60% threshold”.  And comparing a QB from 35 years ago is not useful. The game has changed a lot and as a result you expect higher completions. If you think Allen can be the first under 60% not to bust since the 1980’s good for you, I’m uncomfortable with the risk. 

Edited by Batman1876
  • Like (+1) 1

This happens every year. 

EJ Manuel, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Jamarcus Russell, JP Losman, Kyle Boller, etc. 

The NFL loves big, athletic, mobile QBs with rocket arms even if they can't play football very well. 

Like those other guys, Josh Allen is destined to be a bust. You can't teach accuracy. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Allen is more in the Carson Wentz mold of athlete, but he'll still be one of the more athletic QBs in the league. And I'm assuming you purposefully used 57% as the cutoff so that people couldn't point to Matt Stafford's 57.1%?

Stafford is good, but what exactly has he won?  

20 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

with JP or Manuel type accuracy.  

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

Stafford is good, but what exactly has he won?  

Good point. 

Stafford is extremely flawed. Huge arm, big production, but doesn't win much because he turns the ball over too much. 

Elite NFL QBs all have one trait in common; ACCURACY. 

Guys like Josh Allen never work out in the NFL. 

9 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Stafford had 61% his senior year so he is over the reached 60% threshold. And comparing a QB from 35 years ago is not useful. The game has changed a lot and as a result you expect higher completions. If you think Allen can be the first under 60% not to bust since the 1980’s good for you, I’m uncomfortable with the risk. 

whats wrong with you, Stafford has a career 57.1 completion percentage in college. so stop embarrassing your self. This is a recent example of a QB and he was drafted number 1 over all. Josh Allen for his college career 56.1, Jim Kelly 55.6 these are there completion percentage for there college career. God I hate when people try and justify something that is not true. John Elway was only 62 percent for his college career can you please just keep with the facts. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-allen-7.html 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074

If Allen was the target I dont see how you trade Tyrod and not have an upgrade at Qb for 2018.  I would not expect too much too soon from Allen.  Rosen, or Mayfiled sure, Darnold maybe, Allen or Jackson no.

3 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

whats wrong with you, Stafford has a career 57.1 completion percentage in college. so stop embarrassing your self. This is a recent example of a QB and he was drafted number 1 over all. Josh Allen for his college career 56.1, Jim Kelly 55.6 these are there completion percentage for there college career. God I hate when people try and justify something that is not true. John Elway was only 62 percent for his college career can you please just keep with the facts. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-allen-7.html 

Accuracy and completion percentage aren't the same thing. 

26 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

plz stop man. you sound like you have no idea what a real NFL QB looks like

Allen is going to get eaten alive by NFL defenses if he runs around like that. and you still have no argument against my original point, that he can't sit in the pocket scan the field and make throws. 

also, since you want to bring up throwing outside of the pocket on the run, HE ISN'T EVEN THE BEST AT IT IN THE DRAFT

look up the numbers, Mayfield and Jackson are both far superior than Allen throwing on the run. So the one thing skillset he has, he can't even top his own QB class at.

please don't quote me next time with such lack of knowledge of the own QB you are defending. 

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

If Allen was the target I dont see how you trade Tyrod and not have an upgrade at Qb for 2018.  I would not expect too much too soon from Allen.  Rosen, or Mayfiled sure, Darnold maybe, Allen or Jackson no.

this makes sense

lets draft the 1 QB who isn't ready to start year 1

and pass up on the multiple guys who prob can carry the load of being starter year 1. typical Bills logic. 

Bills fans once again have been bamboozled into believing everything OBD is feeding them. 

Edited by Yeezus