Reading b/w the lines...

Just now, Boyst62 said:

Strikes me as odd when people keep mentioning these big-name quarterbacks and no one mentioned Brees.  

I think his name belongs in the mix guys

His name isn't in the mix because Brees said he wants to play in NO.  The NO front office says they have every intention of re-signing him.  Even if he doesn't sign a deal by Wednesday, I would be shocked if he were even willing to talk to another team.  

8 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I think they will, he is almost a generational talent

Who is? Rosen? I don't see him as a sure thing at all. He needs to hit the weight room. Two concussions last year is a concern. I live in Eugene and have seen him play a lot, once in person. He looks the part, but I have never been too impressed with him as a football player. I think he lacks heart and the will to be the best. He might just get paid and cruise through an average career. Then again it is all conjecture at this point, which makes trading up all the more risky. If they do choose to spend a ton of capital moving up, I sure hope they get it right. Getting it wrong could set the team back a few years. After waiting so long for the playoffs, I do not look forward to losing a bunch while waiting and hoping they finally have a qb. I realize the qb is the most important but this team needs other major parts as well. A lot of people seem obsessed with having to draft and develop a qb. SF got one ready made, drafted and developed by another team. My point is the goal is to get a good qb, doesn't matter how you do it. Ideally for me, the Bills get a qb who can play and win now while drafting qbs til you find the next good one. 

1 minute ago, Luxy312 said:

This in a nutshell.  To boot, he's done the exact opposite.  I think he keeps his 5 picks in the first 65 and tries to hit a home run by drafting 4-5 guys that could be week 1 starters.  I wouldn't be upset if he packaged picks to move up, but would really want to understand why.  When there's no consensus top QB's in the draft (and make no mistake that there are not), you don't sell the farm to take one.  Not prudent.

I think he MIGHT package picks to move up into the 10-15 range to get a QB (or even a position player) that he really wants and is afraid won't fall to 21.   He could do that without mortgaging the entire draft.   But I think it's more likely he'll do what you say - just sit tight and use those picks.  

I'd love to come out of the draft with two starting offensive linemen and three starting front seven defenders.   They may not all start on day one, but my mid-season they could be.   That's a huge upgrade.   Add to that an effective thrower like Keenum and the team has the talent to make some noise.   Shady and Ivory, Benjamin, Jones and Thompson, a good offensive line.   A better pass rush.   That's a team.   

Sure seems like the way to go. 

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

Who is? Rosen? I don't see him as a sure thing at all. He needs to hit the weight room. Two concussions last year is a concern. I live in Eugene and have seen him play a lot, once in person. He looks the part, but I have never been too impressed with him as a football player. I think he lacks heart and the will to be the best. He might just get paid and cruise through an average career. Then again it is all conjecture at this point, which makes trading up all the more risky. If they do choose to spend a ton of capital moving up, I sure hope they get it right. Getting it wrong could set the team back a few years. After waiting so long for the playoffs, I do not look forward to losing a bunch while waiting and hoping they finally have a qb. I realize the qb is the most important but this team needs other major parts as well. A lot of people seem obsessed with having to draft and develop a qb. SF got one ready made, drafted and developed by another team. My point is the goal is to get a good qb, doesn't matter how you do it. Ideally for me, the Bills get a qb who can play and win now while drafting qbs til you find the next good one. 

Barkley. Saquon Barkley, that is who I was referring to...

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I think he MIGHT package picks to move up into the 10-15 range to get a QB (or even a position player) that he really wants and is afraid won't fall to 21.   He could do that without mortgaging the entire draft.   But I think it's more likely he'll do what you say - just sit tight and use those picks.  

I'd love to come out of the draft with two starting offensive linemen and three starting front seven defenders.   They may not all start on day one, but my mid-season they could be.   That's a huge upgrade.   Add to that an effective thrower like Keenum and the team has the talent to make some noise.   Shady and Ivory, Benjamin, Jones and Thompson, a good offensive line.   A better pass rush.   That's a team.   

I agree with you 100%.  Part of me wonders as well whether the coaching staff isn't gun shy about Peterman and would just say that he and whomever they get in the draft (early or late) will play to be the starter.  This team is super thin at so many different positions that it just seems to feel more right to build it through youth and the draft.  They're otherwise picking off the scrap heap in free agency.  It worked a little the last few years with Lorax, Gaines, Poyer.  None the less, you can't build a contender that way.

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's true.   He could.   And I expect he will if there's a QB he's absolutely in love with.   But I don't think that QB is out there.   

I think he gets much more bang for his buck signing Keenum for $20 million a year for three years, or something like that, and then drafting a QB as soon as he sees one he like, probably at 21 or 22 or in the second round, and use all the other picks to take position players.   If Keenum shows that 2017 wasn't a fluke, then the Bills have a quality starter for several years and his successor on board.  If Keenum isn't so good, he still has a decent team around him, so the Bills do okay, and the successor starts in 2019 after a year of seasoning.  

If he trades a bunch of picks and gets the wrong guy, he's screwed.   He doesn't have a QB, and he doesn't have the talent on the team to support a weak QB.   I think it's a much riskier move to trade up, and that's why I think he'll only do it if he's in love with someone.  

The presumptive starter will be under contract by this Friday.  

IMO If they want this team to be great they need to go and get a franchise worthy QB to make that dynasty possible. This team has a nasty track record of second hand QBs with staffs fired every few seasons always trying to build the team while using a bottom feeder QB.

IMO the choice will not only be his our owner will want a top QB drafted and IMO when he hired this staff told them flat out you go and draft a top 3 rookie within the 1st 2 drafts because IMO if they were looking to just use a second hand QB they should have just stayed with second hand Tyrod. 

Not good enough is just not good enough

45 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I haven't seen any lines to read through. Just smoke so far. 

McD is the king of coachspeak. He never shows his hand. 

Me too.  All I have seen is pretty much endless speculation coupled with unnamed sources.  Gathering more picks could mean attempting to draft more players as well as a lead in to moving up.  Those same picks could be used in a trade for a player or players.

3 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

IMO If they want this team to be great they need to go and get a franchise worthy QB to make that dynasty possible. This team has a nasty track record of second hand QBs with staffs fired every few seasons always trying to build the team while using a bottom feeder QB.

IMO the choice will not only be his our owner will want a top QB drafted and IMO when he hired this staff told them flat out you go and draft a top 3 rookie within the 1st 2 drafts because IMO if they were looking to just use a second hand QB they should have just stayed with second hand Tyrod. 

If they believe one of these guys is a franchise type, do it.  If not, don't.

Not one of these guys is without significant flaws.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Just heard on WGR we are interested in Keenum and Bradford.

I'm OK with Bradford, because I think if he can stay healthy that he looks more like the real deal at the position.  I suspect that Keenum was a benefactor of the Vikings system and will regress to his historical mean.  To boot, he's going to get a BIG contract.

I agree with you 100%.  Part of me wonders as well whether the coaching staff isn't gun shy about Peterman and would just say that he and whomever they get in the draft (early or late) will play to be the starter.  This team is super thin at so many different positions that it just seems to feel more right to build it through youth and the draft.  They're otherwise picking off the scrap heap in free agency.  It worked a little the last few years with Lorax, Gaines, Poyer.  None the less, you can't build a contender that way.

Not fair to call it the scrap heap, but you're exactly right.   Take the free agents with talent whose careers have gone a little sideways.   That really works.  

AND, if one of the good QB prospects falls to 21, take him.   I've stopped paying attention, but I think there are five - Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson and Allen, maybe Rudolph.    Chances are pretty good one or two of them is still on the board.  

26 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Barkley. Saquon Barkley, that is who I was referring to...

Okay, misunderstood you. Barkley is probably one of the surest things in the draft, just reread your post and saw you were talking about Cleveland. Sorry bout that.

Edited by Turk71

3 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

July 2017

"It's a quarterback league. I mean, who are we kidding?" Beane said. "If you look at the playoffs teams, the consistent guys that at least qualify for the playoffs or are close every year, most of them have QBs, most of them have a legit quarterback. If you want to use the word franchise, whatever word you want to use, so I understand that. Cam in Carolina was, is, a franchise quarterback. If you're a GM, you have to find a franchise quarterback. It obviously helps keep you on a consistent playing field if you have one, so I get that." 

Jan 2018

"It's a quarterback league, and until you know you have the guy that you're definitely going to build this team around and the offense around, you're constantly searching," Beane said with Howard Simon and Jeremy White on WGR Wednesday morning. "The teams that makes the runs in the playoffs consistently have a franchise guy that they lean on year in and year out. We're still in the process of getting that accomplished."

So if I am reading this correctly, the GM has to find a franchise QB and you build the team and offense around them.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree, the ones we have play hard, but we are an injury/retirement away from being bad.

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Not fair to call it the scrap heap, but you're exactly right.   Take the free agents with talent whose careers have gone a little sideways.   That really works.  

AND, if one of the good QB prospects falls to 21, take him.   I've stopped paying attention, but I think there are five - Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson and Allen, maybe Rudolph.    Chances are pretty good one or two of them is still on the board.  

In the last 20 years, there have never been 6 QB's to go in the top 20.  I think the chances are really good that one or two will be there when they pick.

I'm OK with Bradford, because I think if he can stay healthy that he looks more like the real deal at the position.  I suspect that Keenum was a benefactor of the Vikings system and will regress to his historical mean.  To boot, he's going to get a BIG contract.

I Dont see why Dabol can't run the same plays for Keenum.