Reading b/w the lines...

QB Position:

• Clearly,  they're going BIG game hunting. They want a terrific young  Franchise  QB (as evidence with all the draft capital), that can not just win games, but win championships!! 
  • They also want a valued backup (Phily being the copycat in a copycat league). Sure you'll  here names like Bradford, Keenum, but someone like McCown or Matt Moore are probably the guys that will backup. Bradford probably wants to start, same with Keenum, but the main  thing here is which QB takes the least amount of money,  which means probably Moore or McCown.

How do they  get into the top 5??:

• 1 of 2 ways. If Cleveland takes Barkely @1, (which I predict they will) then the Giants, IMHO, will give serious consideration  to Buff trade. Deal is NY Giants get: 21, 22, 53, 2019 3rd, & Cordy Glenn  OR.... Indy gets:  21, 22, 53, 65, 2019 2nd

Draft??

• The way we look at it, we give up ALOT, but it's still a normal draft. We have picks in the 1st,  2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th round. We may loose a future 2, 3, or maybe even a 1, but with the trade of Glenn we will have alot of cap room in 2019 to fill in  those holes/picks. Not to mention we'll obtain at least 2, possibly more comp picks for guys like Gaines, P.Brown, if they walk. 

Free Agency:

• No big names, but they'll try WR, but IMO, the market is way too high, which is why I think they'll target DJ Moore, or Anthony Miller in the 2nd round. Probably fill Preston Brown role with a guy like Avery Williamson. I think  they'll also  try to find a FA off lineman. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Nice post! Thanks for the great INsight and for sharing your thoughts!

it does seem VERY organized and easy to read.

All of which has been discussed, but it still amazes me how many are against this now that Tyord has departed.

To me, it seems simple. People arguing that they cant give it all away bc of all the holes.... just flip it.

Say you stand pat and 'fill holes'

Next year when/if you have 90+ mill (when and how holes should be filled IMO) you cant go 'buy' a FQB with all that $$ and are still where we have been for the last umpteen years of trying to build a decent roster w/o/the FQB.

I think it even offers a bit of a saftey net if they trade it all away and he busts.

To each their own... but for those who argue dont trade up bc of holes..... i wonder if they are familiar w/the cap projections going forward

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, elltrain22 said:

QB Position:

• Clearly,  they're going BIG game hunting. They want a terrific young  Franchise  QB (as evidence with all the draft capital), that can not just win games, but win championships!! 
  • They also want a valued backup (Phily being the copycat in a copycat league). Sure you'll  here names like Bradford, Keenum, but someone like McCown or Matt Moore are probably the guys that will backup. Bradford probably wants to start, same with Keenum, but the main  thing here is which QB takes the least amount of money,  which means probably Moore or McCown.

• 1 of 2 ways. If Cleveland takes Barkely @1, (which I predict they will) then the Giants, IMHO, will give serious consideration  to Buff trade. Deal is NY Giants get: 21, 22, 53, 2019 3rd, & Cordy Glenn  OR.... Indy gets:  21, 22, 53, 65, 2019 2nd

Draft??

• The way we look at it, we give up ALOT, but it's still a normal draft. We have picks in the 1st,  2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th round. We may loose a future 2, 3, or maybe even a 1, but with the trade of Glenn we will have alot of cap room in 2019 to fill in  those holes/picks. Not to mention we'll obtain at least 2, possibly more comp picks for guys like Gaines, P.Brown, if they walk. 

Free Agency:

• No big names, but they'll try WR, but IMO, the market is way too high, which is why I think they'll target DJ Moore, or Anthony Miller in the 2nd round. Probably fill Preston Brown role with a guy like Avery Williamson. I think  they'll also  try to find a FA off lineman. 

I agree with the entire post except the highlighted portion. I think they will hire a vet to play for a year or maybe 2, until whomever we draft is ready to start. I think they don't want to shell shock a rookie like they almost did with Peterman. 

13 minutes ago, elltrain22 said:

QB Position:

Draft??

Free Agency:

If we move into the 2 or 3 spot, I think your right, that's probably what we are going to have to offer to take the Rosen, Allen or Mayfield.  It gets interesting if the Browns take Barkley at 1 instead of Darnold.  

1 minute ago, BB2004 said:

If we move into the 2 or 3 spot, I think your right, that's probably what we are going to have to offer to take the Rosen, Allen or Mayfield.  It gets interesting if the Browns take Barkley at 1 instead of Darnold.  

I think they will, he is almost a generational talent

20 minutes ago, elltrain22 said:

QB Position:

Draft??

Free Agency:

Maybe that's how you'd do it, but I doubt that's what the Bills will do.   

Beane has been very clear - you get more talent with picks than you do in free agency.   So I don't see him following a course where he trades lots of picks so he can end up with lots of cap room to get free agents.   That's exactly backward from what he's said all along.  I think he signs a QB who will be a starter in September, he keeps his picks and drafts a lot of talent, including a QB.   

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Beane has been very clear - you get more talent with picks than you do in free agency.   So I don't see him following a course where he trades lots of picks so he can end up with lots of cap room to get free agents.   That's exactly backward from what he's said all along.  I think he signs a QB who will be a starter in September, he keeps his picks and drafts a lot of talent, including a QB.   

He could easily flip the script this year and go all in on getting one of the top QBs and then next season's draft go back to it, besides even with trading those picks he would still have a somewhat normal draft. IMO it's a no brainer to get to the top of the draft if MCD wants to build this team the right way, around a top QB first.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BB2004 said:

Most def!! 2 things, first, saquon Barkley too good to pass up and won't slide. They like 2 qbs, darnold and Allen, they take Barkley bc they are guaranteed to have either QB at 4. 2nd, the taste of Tyrod signals they'll take Allen or Darnold bc they need time, and Tyrod is a very good bridge QB/backup

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree. The draft is the way!! That's the reason we can get Rosen!! Why don't people see this?? Yes, it's expensive, but it's the most important position, in all of sports!!! 

31 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I haven't seen any lines to read through. Just smoke so far. 

McD is the king of coachspeak. He never shows his hand. 

Me too! Smoke and reading bw the lines is the same thing. Apply logic and realism, then draw conclusions. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

it does seem VERY organized and easy to read.

All of which has been discussed, but it still amazes me how many are against this now that Tyord has departed.

To me, it seems simple. People arguing that they cant give it all away bc of all the holes.... just flip it.

Say you stand pat and 'fill holes'

Next year when/if you have 90+ mill (when and how holes should be filled IMO) you cant go 'buy' a FQB with all that $$ and are still where we have been for the last umpteen years of trying to build a decent roster w/o/the FQB.

I think it even offers a bit of a saftey net if they trade it all away and he busts.

To each their own... but for those who argue dont trade up bc of holes..... i wonder if they are familiar w/the cap projections going forward

You’re missing the point in of those not willing to give up that much. 

The point is NONE of these QB look all that great. USC and UCLA produce more duds than studs at QB and Mayfield has character issues and his height is a huge question and the other two will need time to develop and even then may not be that great. 

Taking that into consideration, it’s not worth mortgaging the future on a maybe. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

He could easily flip the script this year and go all in on getting one of the top QBs and then next season's draft go back to it, besides even with trading those picks he would still have a somewhat normal draft. IMO it's a no brainer to get to the top of the draft if MCD wants to build this team the right way, around a top QB first.

That's true.   He could.   And I expect he will if there's a QB he's absolutely in love with.   But I don't think that QB is out there.   

I think he gets much more bang for his buck signing Keenum for $20 million a year for three years, or something like that, and then drafting a QB as soon as he sees one he like, probably at 21 or 22 or in the second round, and use all the other picks to take position players.   If Keenum shows that 2017 wasn't a fluke, then the Bills have a quality starter for several years and his successor on board.  If Keenum isn't so good, he still has a decent team around him, so the Bills do okay, and the successor starts in 2019 after a year of seasoning.  

If he trades a bunch of picks and gets the wrong guy, he's screwed.   He doesn't have a QB, and he doesn't have the talent on the team to support a weak QB.   I think it's a much riskier move to trade up, and that's why I think he'll only do it if he's in love with someone.  

The presumptive starter will be under contract by this Friday.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This in a nutshell.  To boot, he's done the exact opposite.  I think he keeps his 5 picks in the first 65 and tries to hit a home run by drafting 4-5 guys that could be week 1 starters.  I wouldn't be upset if he packaged picks to move up, but would really want to understand why.  When there's no consensus top QB's in the draft (and make no mistake that there are not), you don't sell the farm to take one.  Not prudent.