Buffalo to jump on cap casualty players?

We've seen Buffalo pounce on a few players that have been released already.  It seems like they could be trying to avoid spending a lot in free agency to keep the compensatory picks that they could get by letting some of their players walk.  I'm sure there will be grumbling about this idea but there could be plenty of good players that won't go against the cap this offseason.  Big names seem to be on the move.  Wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo is just waiting for teams to drop certain players.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

We've seen Buffalo pounce on a few players that have been released already.  It seems like they could be trying to avoid spending a lot in free agency to keep the compensatory picks that they could get by letting some of their players walk.  I'm sure there will be grumbling about this idea but there could be plenty of good players that won't go against the cap this offseason.  Big names seem to be on the move.  Wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo is just waiting for teams to drop certain players.  

I think if there are guys that get cut and are a good fit personality and scheme wise they will be all over it.

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Any other cap casualties on the way? Specifically def tackles?

Corey Luiget and Brandon Mebane from San Diego have been reported to be potential cuts.  Non-DT potential cuts could be packer wide outs.  They just paid Adams, Cobb and Nelson have huge contracts that the packers may be looking to get out of.

DT Corey Liuget for San Diego is a name I'd be looking at.  He has a monster contract now and hasn't performed to it in recent years.  However, he is only 27 and has had a handful of years of really solid play. In a new scheme, he could return to form. Former first round pick who has needed a scheme switch from being a DE in a 3-4 scheme.  He played better as a DT inside. He'd need to come at a smaller price tag though.  He is one on my watch list.  

10 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

What’s people obsession with compensatory picks?  Almost every thread it comes up somewhere.  

Id rather sign a good free agent and not worry if signing said player will cost them a 6th round comp pick.  

Was Andre Holmes / Vlad Duccasse / Patrick Dimarco worth a 3rd round pick?

Bottom line, it's how well run football teams operate.  Drafted players represent 4 years of cheap club control, usually covering a few of a players prime years.  Not getting comp picks for players like Gilmore / Woods cost us 3rd / 4th round picks, not just throw away 6th rounders.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Was Andre Holmes / Vlad Duccasse / Patrick Dimarco worth a 3rd round pick?

Bottom line, it's how well run football teams operate.  Drafted players represent 4 years of cheap club control, usually covering a few of a players prime years.  Not getting comp picks for players like Gilmore / Woods cost us 3rd / 4th round picks, not just throw away 6th rounders.

And cutting starters and role players during a playoff run is a well run organization ?

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Every single move we've made makes sense. The level of competence being displayed is unreal.

Yep this is something new for us in a long time 

6 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

And cutting starters and role players during a playoff run is a well run organization ?

Did they make the playoffs even doing that???

6 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Absolutely- if you have a player on the roster that could slide right that spot already

SEE: New England trading LB Jamie Collins and then still winning a SB. He's a hell of a lot better player than the scrubs we kept.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Every single move we've made makes sense. The level of competence being displayed is unreal.

This x100

But I'd be happy just knowing I won't need to ever see Mike Tolbert split out wide on a 3rd and 4 again...EVER