Anyone Else Here Cut the Cable/Dish?

T&C

I got rid of DirecTV a little over two years ago.  Went with an antenna that I could connect to my existing satellite dish that was already on my roof.  I get the basic local channels and a few stragglers.  I have Kodi, Netflix, Amazon Prime, MLB TV, and my mother-in-law's DirecTV log-in for HBO, Showtime, Watch ESPN, etc.  This works for us.

19 hours ago, ricojes said:

So what about recording options?  I rarely watch anything live other than sporting events.

There are options out there. I bought this thing when the Bills game in London was stream only..

https://www.playon.tv/?utm_expid=.VzV0nunOTpebiKVJ4SlMQg.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

16 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Not quite.  Dish owns sling

AT&T owns DirecTV

Directv has a streaming-only option as well, think it is called DirectvNow . 

15 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

While I pay $118.32 for Verizon cellular, which is a lot, I am grandfathered on the data plan with a hotspot on my phone.  As such, I figure it is still cheaper to go this route when it is as fast as a Spectrum connection, essentially.

I would look at options on Verizon Boyst. Every plan is unlimited now on Verizon..I have 4 phones, all with hotspots, and pay less than $200..all unlimited data. I would think same service you have would cost much less than $118. Worth a call at least

Edited by plenzmd1

Probably 6 plus years ago. Use Roku and an antenna for local news weather and traffic. Crazy how few channels we get. We are very high on a ridge but I guess it’s because we face east and LA is 50 miles north so that may be the reason. 

14 hours ago, dhg said:

If it wasnt for sports i would have ditched cable long ago. How can i watch Sabres games in HD without cable? That's my dilemma 

I usually watch them online but to be honest we've sucked so bad this year that its hard to watch, sometimes I just opt for a movie instead. Or both, Sabres game on the laptop and movie on the tv.

I have Sling Blue, 40 or so channels... $28 a month with taxes and fees... and there are usually a couple of hockey games on in the evening. Depending on what Sling package one has, a sports package upgrade is 5-10 dollars more a months so I suppose you might want to look into this. Here is what I have as of now: https://www.sling.com/#dyn-grid-package-tab-2-30m 

Sometimes the Sabres are on, sometimes not... and when I say not they are in the grid but it says something like "content may be unavailable in your area" which I don't get, if the Sabres are playing say Nashville why in the world would it say that when I live in Florida?

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that with Sling, and probably others too, if you are getting 40 channels you are getting 40 channels of watchable tv. No filler crap like HSN, infomercial channels, jewelry channels, etc. It seems like with directv I had 300 channels with maybe 60 of them watchable. Gawd am I glad I ditched them.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Probably 6 plus years ago. Use Roku and an antenna for local news weather and traffic. Crazy how few channels we get. We are very high on a ridge but I guess it’s because we face east and LA is 50 miles north so that may be the reason. 

I have several geographical challenges as well but only half the distance as you. I tried many different indoor antennas before finding Antennaweb.org which helped me identify an appropriate antenna. If you are using an indoor or set-top antenna, maybe an attic mount or an outdoor aerial would yield more channels?

Just now, KD in CA said:

What do cord cutters do for internet?

I assume if I ditched cable, Comcast would just double the bill for internet, and I assume the small providers don’t have nearly as fast connection.

Everyone's situation is different. Here, she Has to have internet and a landline phone (which we've never used, its just the connection that is needed) for her job. She works out of the house for a large worldwide company. Think that bill is $100 a month or so through Verizon or whatever they are called now, Frontier I think... that bill has to be paid regardless. So, by cutting directv and using Sling we are saving $75 a month for more tv than both of us combined would ever watch.

Something I failed to mention earlier is that there are a ton of apps that you can download to your smart tv for free. I watched a pretty cool youtube video on that a month ago or so, I'll post it so it might help some people see the seemingless endless boundaries the new wave has.

If you have an android box you can use the Mobdro app for live streaming of most TV channels, including HBO and Showtime and many sports stations. The Terrarium TV app will get you most any movie or TV series. Use an antenna for local news.

Also, download a good VPN app, like Opera.

2 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

If you have an android box you can use the Mobdro app for live streaming of most TV channels, including HBO and Showtime and many sports stations. The Terrarium TV app will get you most any movie or TV series. Use an antenna for local news.

Also, download a good VPN app, like Opera.

Mobdro can be side loaded onto FireTV as well

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

There are options out there. I bought this thing when the Bills game in London was stream only..

https://www.playon.tv/?utm_expid=.VzV0nunOTpebiKVJ4SlMQg.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Directv has a streaming-only option as well, think it is called DirectvNow . 

I would look at options on Verizon Boyst. Every plan is unlimited now on Verizon..I have 4 phones, all with hotspots, and pay less than $200..all unlimited data. I would think same service you have would cost much less than $118. Worth a call at least

No, the new unlimited plans cap you at 20 gig for hotspot. And after 22gig you are throttled.

I have speeds over 50 gig all the time. My sis has the new plan and we have tested our phones beside each other.  Considerably slower. 

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

No, the new unlimited plans cap you at 20 gig for hotspot. And after 22gig you are throttled.

I have speeds over 50 gig all the time. My sis has the new plan and we have tested our phones beside each other.  Considerably slower. 

Yeah, I would not let go of that plan no matter what Boyst.  It is not just Verizon either, they all throttle after 20gb or so now.

4 minutes ago, simool said:

That is a sweet deal you have. 

It's a deal from 2008.  Before any of this stuff was imagined. Before hotspots, 4g, streaming, music, etc.   I got it on my blackberry at the time. It was great!  And I kept the service and all. They call.me every few months trying to talk me in to a new phone for free when I get a new contract.  I refuse. I pay out of pocket full price for an unlocked phone for that reason.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Boyst62 said:

It's a deal from 2008.  Before any of this stuff was imagined. Before hotspots, 4g, streaming, music, etc.   I got it on my blackberry at the time. It was great!  And I kept the service and all. They call.me every few months trying to talk me in to a new phone for free when I get a new contract.  I refuse. I pay out of pocket full price for an unlocked phone for that reason.

A buddy of mine has that plan, and like you they aren't giving it up for anything... grandfathered in. Think they are running  6 different phones on it... mom, dad, 3 kids, and a fiance'. Dumb question but I really don't know, you can run a smart tv off of your hotspot, correct?

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I assume if I ditched cable, Comcast would just double the bill for internet, and I assume the small providers don’t have nearly as fast connection.

When I was considering dropping tv, I asked Spectrum to give me a price for internet alone. So far what they have quoted to me has been accurate. They also gave me a faster internet connection, because they refuse to go below 100Mbps these days. I think I was at 20 before. I was paying $135 for tv and internet bundle, and my internet by it self is $65 now.

37 minutes ago, T&C said:

A buddy of mine has that plan, and like you they aren't giving it up for anything... grandfathered in. Think they are running  6 different phones on it... mom, dad, 3 kids, and a fiance'. Dumb question but I really don't know, you can run a smart tv off of your hotspot, correct?

Yep. Anything. I run it 24/7. Just to.  And my hotspot name is fbi surveylance van #272728293 something

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

I made that mistake. Didn’t want to pay full price for a new phone in 2014, even though I could afford it. Regretted it ever since. 

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I have a Verizon plan like that (2007 or 2008). The first time someone tried to "help" me with an "upgraded phone" after they started throttling and capping everyone on new contracts I nearly took the guy at Verizon's head off.  Full priced phones only for me so I can get continue to be unlimited and unthrottled - it is lovely.  (And I seldom upgrade my phone... this Galaxy S8 is driving me nuts. I want my old S4 to work again!  :cry: )

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I have a Verizon plan like that (2007 or 2008). The first time someone tried to "help" me with an "upgraded phone" after they started throttling and capping everyone on new contracts I nearly took the guy at Verizon's head off.  Full priced phones only for me so I can get continue to be unlimited and unthrottled - it is lovely.  (And I seldom upgrade my phone... this Galaxy S8 is driving me nuts. I want my old S4 to work again!  :cry: )

I live near Comp Park (como/borden)..we were told Verizon would be available here...about 7 hrs later..still no service offered.

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Samsung's Touchwiz is the culprit. The S8 actually is a great piece of hardware. It puzzles me why Samsung feels the need to customize every corner of Android and include so much bloatware to boot.  I would not use a Samsung for a coaster let alone a phone.

I have a Nexus 5x right now which replaced a Nexus 5.  Both are LG phones with plain jane Android on them and they are rock solid. I get Android security updates every month in contrast to the S8 which might get the updates I just received in about 6 months. Why? Because Samsung has to make the same changes to their code base and test prior to release. Assinine.

I am not sure what I will do when I need a new phone.  I am not impressed with the Pixels other than they are unadulterated Android.  Probably look at what Moto is selling then. Many of their phones are straight Android too.

The new Nokia stuff is interesting.  Used to love Nokia phones.  Have to keep an eye on them.

Edited by simool
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

FoxFi App - cost $7 I think

One time purchase.

Lifetime hotspot without paying Verizon's $20 per month Hot Spot fee

I had that but my galaxy has a hotspot app on it.  My brother got charged after averaging 230-280 gig a month to run his whole house - 2 kids and him. Netflix etc.  They took away his free hotspot.  Won't even let him do FoxFi

18 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I use Comcast internet and added hulu. Saved $80/mo.

On 3/7/2018 at 3:31 PM, Misterbluesky said:

I live near Comp Park (como/borden)..we were told Verizon would be available here...about 7 hrs later..still no service offered.

No Verizon service at all? Or no FIOS? Two different things.