Rumor: L.Jackson 2nd QB on Bills Board

As much as I want this speculation to be true, I would guess it’s a team that has no interest in drafting a QB, hence their willingness to tell Schefter.

I believe Schefter originally tweeted that it was “Houston’s Lamar Jackson”; wouldn’t surprise me if it was the Texans that told him.

Just something to consider......the last 6 QB's drafted in the first round were all selected by teams who traded up to get them.  Given the number of teams needing a franchise QB, and given that next years class looks awful.....draft day is going to be a frenzy of trades.  Cousins signing with the Vikings will hurt the Bills.  

Cleveland...(it is Cleveland) should take a QB at 1.  Cleveland can deal the Bills another blow if that QB is NOT Allen because Denver will then call the Giants about moving up from 5 to 2 to take him.  If the QB Cleveland opted for was Rosen or Darnold, then the Jets will look to move up to 3 for Mayfield.  Cleveland will then be delighted at 4 to take Barkly, Fitzpatrick, Chubb...whoever they want...the Giants at 5 could have tons of options..take Chubb, take Fitzpatrick...they could go Ellis...or trade out again...or if the QB still left is the one they covet...Darnold in this case..they might do that.  Colts at 6 will still have something nice to take, then you are literally looking at Mason Rudolph and Lamar Jackson.  With Arizona needing someone, and possibly Miami, New Orleans, Baltimore, Cincy....lurking ....none of them are that likely, but I'm thinking the top 4 are gone by pick 7.  and all via trade up except Cleveland.  .....The Bills are going to have to be very aggressive...there are more teams that want one of these guys than there are guys to take.  

1 minute ago, Zerovotlz said:

Just something to consider......the last 6 QB's drafted in the first round were all selected by teams who traded up to get them.  Given the number of teams needing a franchise QB, and given that next years class looks awful.....draft day is going to be a frenzy of trades. 

The trade up point is a very well made one.  All the "sit put at 21" folks might want to look at how the draft is working now.  The fact that there has been an obvious shift away from the old Jimmy Johnson chart and that the CBA has created the rookie pay structure have both been significant factors in that change in my opinion.  The Bills will absolutely have to be aggressive and they have plenty of ammunition to do so.  Two first round picks IN THIS DRAFT are very, very attractive to a guy like Chris Ballard who is trying to execute a major rebuild in Indianapolis but do it quickly enough as to not have no year of Andrew Luck's prime left to win in (shoulder injury allowing).  I think the Bills have a stronger hand to play than a lot here give them credit for.  I believe they will find a way to get into the top 5, but as you say Cousins going to a team outside of the scrum at the top of the draft does have a knock on effect.  

The flip side which helps the Bills in my mind is Allen's Senior Bowl and Combine.  I believe he is now a top 5 lock and I absolutely do not want him to be the pick here anyway.  So that means there is still a route to get one of the other 3.  

• Like (+1) 1

Beane's experiance drafting Newton I would not be suprised Jackson would be highly thought of in Buffalo.  He needs to work on his footwork coming from under center.  He has the arm talent and strength to make every throw.  He is more accurate than Allen with just as much upside.  

Taylor a bridge to Jackson makes alot of sense to me.  I would prefer Rosen but Jackson could end up being better.

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Something posted based on preconceived notions but not borne out under closer scrutiny or any evidence. 

If you’re referring to my post about Jackson being a “sandlot” QB, where he thrives on plays breaking down more often than running a rhythm passing attack, then that is not the type of QB I want running the Bills offense.

Imo he not a natural passer and I do not care for his area code accuracy...if that style of play is your thing, all the power to ya.

Edited by JaCrispy

8 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

Just something to consider......the last 6 QB's drafted in the first round were all selected by teams who traded up to get them.  Given the number of teams needing a franchise QB, and given that next years class looks awful.....draft day is going to be a frenzy of trades.  Cousins signing with the Vikings will hurt the Bills.  

Cleveland...(it is Cleveland) should take a QB at 1.  Cleveland can deal the Bills another blow if that QB is NOT Allen because Denver will then call the Giants about moving up from 5 to 2 to take him.  If the QB Cleveland opted for was Rosen or Darnold, then the Jets will look to move up to 3 for Mayfield.  Cleveland will then be delighted at 4 to take Barkly, Fitzpatrick, Chubb...whoever they want...the Giants at 5 could have tons of options..take Chubb, take Fitzpatrick...they could go Ellis...or trade out again...or if the QB still left is the one they covet...Darnold in this case..they might do that.  Colts at 6 will still have something nice to take, then you are literally looking at Mason Rudolph and Lamar Jackson.  With Arizona needing someone, and possibly Miami, New Orleans, Baltimore, Cincy....lurking ....none of them are that likely, but I'm thinking the top 4 are gone by pick 7.  and all via trade up except Cleveland.  .....The Bills are going to have to be very aggressive...there are more teams that want one of these guys than there are guys to take.  

It is definitely going to be a crazy draft. I think free agency affects this as well. Who are the non-bridge quarterbacks? Guys that are not going to want to go to a place that is going to draft a young guy? Cousins obviously, McCarron? Bridgewater? Bradford? Foles? 

24 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

If you’re referring to my post about Jackson being a “sandlot” QB, where he thrives on plays breaking down more often than running a rhythm passing attack, then that is not the type of QB I want running the Bills offense.

Imo he not a natural passer and I do not care for his area code accuracy...if that style of play is your thing, all the power to ya.

Incorrect again.  Most of his running plays at Louisville were by design and Petrino's passing system is rather sophisticated.   How accurate he is is an entirely different conversation and it's a valid concern. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MikeSpeed said:

Skipped right over my earlier post huh?

must have? 

ive been in and out of this thread, and was simply replying to the asinine comment on the current page replies...

something similar to what you said? would you like an "attaboy"? 

35 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Incorrect again.  Most of his running plays at Louisville were by design and Petrino's passing system is rather sophisticated.   How accurate he is is an entirely different conversation and it's a valid concern. 

We will just have to agree to disagree

5 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

We will just have to agree to disagree

just to interject, I don't know what your basis for disagreeing with 26 on this is...

it is WIDELY known throughout college and the pro's that Petrinos passing offense is pretty complex and similar to what NFL coordinators are doing. Jackson got a LOT of rushing yards and TDs in his time at Louisville but that was most certainly not a result of plays breaking down and Jackson scrambling and trying to make things happen (ALA Tyrod Taylor as the Bills QB).

Most of Jackson's rushes were designed rushing plays. Jackson very much led an NFL style offense that relied on him making reads and progressions, and this season hung tough in the pocket to prove that he could/would..

All of this while playing in an extremely untalented offense from a personnel stand point. NOT ONE Louisville offensive player has been drafted in 2 years....DRAFTED, like in all 7 rounds...not one!!!! That is freaking incredible. What Jackson performed (like winning a freaking heisman!!!!) with a bunch of scrubs supporting him is damn impressive and should be factored into all comments regarding his skill set. 

So I ask again, on what basis do you disagree? Just, like, your opinion man?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

must have? 

ive been in and out of this thread, and was simply replying to the asinine comment on the current page replies...

something similar to what you said? would you like an "attaboy"? 

My point was those that say Jackson is similar to Tyrod have a point and their stats support it. Personally I'm all about changing the O from what it is to something completely different, because right now it's bad!

Hey why not we can change our chant from "run Tyrod run" to "run Jackson run". Why would fans want a QB to throw in this QB driven league. Everyone knows running is the way to a wild card..SMH

Skrony legs Jackson, I can see all the wild cards now, Go Bills

4 hours ago, MikeSpeed said:

My point was those that say Jackson is similar to Tyrod have a point and their stats support it. Personally I'm all about changing the O from what it is to something completely different, because right now it's bad!

IF ONE IS ONLY LOOKING AT STATS TO COMPARE THE TWO, the only similar stat they had, as far as college career goes, was their YPA....

In every other stat category TT cant even hold Jacksons nuts

Jackson accounted for about 120 collegiate TDs, TT accounted for half that number...that is all you need to really know

BUT, if you wanna look at yards / yards per game in just passing....be my guest, and again, see that TT cant hold Jacksons nuts

Jackson actually played college ball in an NFL offense, and therefore should be far more advanced as far as QB play than TT is even to this day (and Jackson still can do a lot of work to improve.

So again, no...other than being black and athletic, TT and Jackson are nothing alike. Lazy mans comp. To think a Bills offense led by Jackson would resemble anything like the one led by TT last season is also a poor and lazy comparison. 

• Like (+1) 1