Shaquem Griffin Posts 20-rep Bench Press Using Prosthetic and Now a 4.38 Forty

Love this kid's attitude!

Griffin posts 20-rep bench press using prosthetic

No left hand, no problem for Shaquem Griffin.

In the story of the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine, the Central Florida linebacker stepped up to the bench press Saturday afternoon and pushed out 20 225-pound reps using a special prosthetic strapped to his left arm.

"Just starting that off, I just felt the energy from everybody," said Griffin, who lost his left hand due to a prenatal condition called Amniotic Band Syndrome. "I mean, my adrenaline was going through the roof and I didn't feel like I needed to stop. So as soon as I heard I was at 16, I was like, 'Oh, yeah, I'm going for 20.' I was like, 'I'm going to change my fitness regimen, I've got to grind this out right here.' It felt amazing to reach that goal."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I want This kid in the 5th , 6th or 7th...

at worst he is a special teams stud and an inspiration for the world

The Bills currently have no picks after the 5th round.   Might be kind of tough to get him. 

Watched a few of their games this season, including their bowl game.  This guy was flying all over the field making plays all game, every game.  At first I knew nothing about him, but I remember I kept saying to myself "there is the guy with one hand again" and again and again and again.  Amazing.  Seemed like every time the D made a good play, he was a part of it. 

This is a kid I would be proud to have represent our franchise.  Unfortunately, I think his stock is rising.  It's gone from whether he will be drafted at all to now I wouldn't be surprised if someone snagged him in the 3rd.

Edited by Mark80

16 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Why is 20 reps on the BP dominant?  About any 20somethibg yr old in a workout program could put that out easily

Add to that, if you have a prosthetic hand/forearm, it's an advantage over another player that has skin and callouses on their hands. If he's lifting he won't feel the burn and puss that is attendant to an exploding callous. He can get more reps with the prosthetic limb because it is made of material that is springier and more durable than the human forearm (ulna). Maybe they'll put an asterisk after his reps in the record book because of this advantage. Not sure his reps should count.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Shaquem Griffin Posts 20-rep Bench Press Using Prosthetic and Now a 4.38 Forty