Bills need all 8 picks in the draft to get better.

Casmo

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I repeat. Building the Bills into a perennial contender is not a single offseason proposition.  If there's a QB the Bills believe is their guy a potential franchise QB, they should pay the required cost to acquire him and subsequently build around him.

And to your point:

You're not building the team in one off-season, but fill the other spots first, then go for the QB next year.

Hate to see them trade all the picks away for a guy (Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield) who likely has less than a 50/50 chance at success.  If history tells us anything at least one of those 4 if not 2 will flame out.

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And to your point:

You're not building the team in one off-season, but fill the other spots first, then go for the QB next year.

Hate to see them trade all the picks away for a guy (Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield) who likely has less than a 50/50 chance at success.  If history tells us anything at least one of those 4 if not 2 will flame out.

How long have we been waiting to do this?  They have the ammo and should use it if they have conviction for a particular guy.

Look... IF a GM trades up high to get us a QB I have no problem with it and I will tell you why...

#1 GM will not put his career on the line to go for a QB unless he is 100% sure that is our man.

#2 We just went 17 years without a franchise QB and now you want to wait another year? NO.

#3 Yep its a crap shoot.. but you cant win unless you don't play now and then right?

#4 Our draft capital is not huge but its enough to get us to top 10.

#5 People who love Buffalo football are tired of "game managers" and they have to sell seats.

Ideally I do not want to draft a QB.. I would rather shoot for the stars on Cousins or one of the guys in Minnesota. Then you have 5 picks in first 3 rounds to build around.

Edited by PrimeTime101

33 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

If they trade up they won't have any picks to build the team.

You don't have to trade all your draft picks away to move up, that's the beautiful thing about having extra picks.

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't understand why you and some others act as if building the Bills into a perennial contender has to be accomplished in one offseason.  Beane is on the record as saying that acquiring a franchise QB is his primary responsibility as the GM and that will be the key to building a team that contends for championships on a sustained basis. 

Kid yourself all you want but underneath all the pleasant "lets build a team" talk a lot of posters will be foaming at the mouth if their team does not make the playoffs within a couple years after their "franchise" QB is drafted.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Casmo said:

.  Matthews and Benjamin will be at full strength too.

We need a burner on the other side of KB and Matthews isn't that.Jones as a three,in the slot,where he can get sneaky.We will draft a WR  with one of the first 4 picks..it's a must.

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't understand why you and some others act as if building the Bills into a perennial contender has to be accomplished in one offseason.  Beane is on the record as saying that acquiring a franchise QB is his primary responsibility as the GM and that will be the key to building a team that contends for championships on a sustained basis. 

This is exactly what I've been saying plenty of time to fill the holes and plenty other ways to do it via free agency and the rest of the draft and trades . We need to get that franchise building block QB everything else will come afterwards. Weve tried for 20 yrs the build the rest of the team let's try something different this time. 

The Bills have been playing it "safe" for years now, and it hasn't gotten them anywhere. 

They have the ammunition.  The playoff drought is over.  It's time to take the chance.

Listen, I get it.  Drafting a Quarterback in the First Round always takes balls.

If a team is already drafting high, it usually means passing on a fantastic prospect at another position (such as Saquan Barkley).  If a team needs to trade up for a QB, it usually means sacrificing multiple picks in multiple drafts.  College QBs face the hardest transition of any position on the field.  Which makes them riskier and more likely to fail.  And for a General Manager and Head Coach, it almost always means hitching their jobs on the success of one player.  If a 1st Round Defensive Tackle busts, fans get upset.  If a 1st Round QB busts, they want people fired.

At the same time, no position will have the impact of a franchise QB.  If we can land someone of the Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers level, we have a playoff building block for the next 10-15 years.  If we can land someone of the Aaron Rodgers or Ben Roethlisberger level, we should be a Super Bowl contender for 10-15 years.  I would much rather shoot for the stars and miss, rather than play it safe and go nowhere.

8 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bingo

People act like trading some extra draft picks this year will prevent us from ever drafting another player.  Bottom line, the team made moves last year in the trade down and the Sammy trade to gain enough ammunition to (finally) make a play for a top QB without mortgaging the future.

But what if the asking price to get to Rosen/Mayfield DOES carry over and mortgage the future?

What then?

That is kind of what I am waiting for.....I like Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson.....in that order.   We sit at 21.....other teams need QBs and GM's know it.....what if the asking price to move to a position to get Mayfield at the least costs us both our 1sts.....and a 1st next year?  Now we have effectively mortgaged our future.

That is what I really dont want (and kind of expect...I would be thrilled if that was not the case) and so I move to my next available option.....Jackson (who I think is gonna be a stud) at our 21st pick......keeping the rest of our picks to bring in young talent in this draft and NOT mortgaging our future.