You're the GM, what do you offer Kyle Williams

If Kyle wants to play, you pay him. Because he will only be rotated at the coaches say so, he won't need to be pulled out of the lineup. He will not only perform, but he will provide leadership, and with Woods going to retire, that is also something that needs some continuity, if it's available.

Mr Williams is a man who is fully conversant with his abilities, as evidenced by his being a near scratch golfer, and also, if you can remember back, being possibly the quickest swimmer on the Bills, when beating Marshawn in the pool.

There's something so fundamentally honest about Kyle, that if he believes he can play on, I'm not backing against him. I'd also say that he will probably be the first guy to tell McD, that he can't do it any more.

Now, there could well be other reasons for deciding to retire, especially in respect of his wife and family, but if he says he can still play, and wants to, you get a deal done, imho.

39 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Who will the leaders of this team be while we do that

Who knows, need new ones anyways.  People will step up, they always do.

White seems like a pretty vocal & lead by example kind of guy...

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes, 5 million 1 year.  We can use his leadership especially with Wood retiring.

Kyle has made his money and IF he wants to return it is for something more than cash.

I believe 1 more year with Kyle (Senior Team Captain) in the locker room is worth 5.

...wasn't he pretty adamant about any restructuring/renegotiating his $8.3 mil tariff in 2017?.....NOT to imply it was all about money versus "I have a contract so honor it"....despite his storied "one team" career, I'm not sure how much financial leverage he has on the open market at 35.......question is if he is offered the same $5-$6 mil one year deal from McBeane versus a perennial playoff contender/participant, does he jump ship for his potentially "last shot" at a ring?............

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...wasn't he pretty adamant about any restructuring/renegotiating his $8.3 mil tariff in 2017?.....NOT to imply it was all about money versus "I have a contract so honor it"....despite his storied "one team" career, I'm not sure how much financial leverage he has on the open market at 35.......question is if he is offered the same $5-$6 mil one year deal from McBeane versus a perennial playoff contender/participant, does he jump ship for his potentially "last shot" at a ring?............

Heck, if Kyle wants to go for a ring I say go for it.

Statistically he will be a little less impactful as his age gets higher.

My deal was at 5 he may not be worth it compared to a younger guy...................but we sure could use his leadership for 1 more.

Whether he retires, stays a Bill or goes somewhere else all I can say is "thanks Kyle, looking forward to seeing your name on the Wall!".

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Heck, if Kyle wants to go for a ring I say go for it.

Statistically he will be a little less impactful as his age gets higher.

My deal was at 5 he may not be worth it compared to a younger guy...................but we sure could use his leadership for 1 more.

Whether he retires, stays a Bill or goes somewhere else all I can say is "thanks Kyle, looking forward to seeing your name on the Wall!".

...certainly agree bud....my opinion is that if he continues SOMEWHERE, he will NOT be a starter. but a rotational player....last year's $8.3 mil tariff was starter money in the contract he signed at the same that was probably relative to market value....sure the market value may be up today, but not for 35 yr olds despite his storied career on a rotational (part-time) basis...depressing as hell to hear 35 yrs old is considered "OLD"......hell, I wish I could REMEMBER 35......45...50......dammit............

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...certainly agree bud....my opinion is that if he continues SOMEWHERE, he will NOT be a starter. but a rotational player....last year's $8.3 mil tariff was starter money in the contract he signed at the same that was probably relative to market value....sure the market value may be up today, but not for 35 yr olds despite his storied career on a rotational (part-time) basis...depressing as hell to hear 35 yrs old is considered "OLD"......hell, I wish I could REMEMBER 35......45...50......dammit............

Ha, but if we weren't old we wouldn't remember games in the "rockpile".

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Ha, but if we weren't old we wouldn't remember games in the "rockpile".

...I believe we AARP folks refer to that as "selective and meaningful recall"......prolly a TON of stuff from 35, 45 or 55 that I hope never to be able to "recall"......statute of limitations is a gray area nowadays...:D

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 1:26 PM, elltrain22 said:

Simple question. If you were the GM, what would you offer Kyle Williams. This is a very tough question, b/c his market value is probably around 4-5 mill, but if I were Kyle (or his agent) he'll probably want/ask north of that figure. So, if I countered with, and this is my answer to this question,

I'd offer 1 year, 5.5 million. I probably wouldn't go higher than 6, and certainly wouldn't go into the 7+ range. I'd hate to see him go, but  35 is 35. Whatever happens here, Kyle is still a Bill Wall of famer, and wish him the best where ever he decides to play next year. 

...that is gratuitously IT....if he can do better on the open market as a rotational, part-time guy, so be it....even "meatballs" have a shelf life before expiration.....

On 2018-03-01 at 1:31 PM, kdiggz said:

Market value to be respectful or a little below to be team friendly deal. If he wants to play he will play. If he doesn't then I don't want to overpay for someone that really doesn't want to play anymore. He's got kids in school, he isn't playing anywhere else

Agreed.  And, I don’t think you make an offer you ask him what he wants.

If that works and it probably you will, you sign him.

Well, younger is nice. But better isn't so easy.

Where will the better guy come from?

In 2017 Kyle Williams was the best defensive tackle on the team. And after they got rid of Dareus, he was the best by a lot.

Does anybody in this thread watch the game film? Or reply the games and watch the line play?

So in closing, if as the title says, "You're the GM" you would have done that right? You would have looked at the film.

What are you guys basing your opinions on? I'm confused because of how opposite it is of what I saw.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 1

Bring in a young guy and offer Kyle 3- 4 mil guaranteed to be mentor and rotational DT.  He will be 35 when the season starts and a rotational role would probably suit him best, he has made over 50 million dollars and probably doesn't want to move at this point. I would like to see him retire a Bill but if he wants to chase more money elsewhere the Bills cannot afford to overpay and need to bring in young talent on the line.

Edited by Turk71