Beane on Tolbert: "I Don't Know if Mike is in the Mix"

What others said about his being an RB3 and not 2.  Also still scratching my head about Williams.  Just want to add - if he does make RB3 please, please never throw the ball at him again; at being the correct proposition.  He has a use though if there's room for him and he's used correctly.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Mike did what he was supposed to do. Provide leadership, help with the culture change, block on passing downs, and chip in a few thundering runs throughout the year (remember when he trucked Lawrence Timmons out of his shoes in Miami?!

The problem, as another poster stated, was relying on him as RB2. He should have been RB3 and Williams should have been kept. I STILL can't figure out why they cut Williams.

Dont forget fumbling too

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

Signing Tolbert wasn't the issue. Mike offers a lot. A goalline power back, veteran presence in locker room, and leadership. He is a great guy to have on the team. The issue was making him a backup RB... He should be a 3rd string RB. And that is on McDermott for cutting Williams and placing Tolbert in as the #2

Agreed... Williams had a great pre-season.  Never should have been cut.  Beane has control of the roster so technically it was a Beane move

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Mike did what he was supposed to do. Provide leadership, help with the culture change, block on passing downs, and chip in a few thundering runs throughout the year (remember when he trucked Lawrence Timmons out of his shoes in Miami?!

The problem, as another poster stated, was relying on him as RB2. He should have been RB3 and Williams should have been kept. I STILL can't figure out why they cut Williams.

What's concerning to me was he was never a #2 in his career always played FB and short yardage bk.  Not even in his prime Tolbert was definitely miss casted last yr.

Bills GM Brandon Beane said Wednesday on 1270 The Fan that Buffalo is looking to find a backup running back with a power style to complement LeSean McCoy. Asked if Mike Tolbert could fill that role again, Beane said, "I don't know if Mike is in the mix right now or not. We're going to look at all of our options. I would not close that door yet. But free agency is just getting started. Some guys are getting released -- [the host] mentioned Jonathan Stewart and Chris Ivory. So we'll do our due diligence, and then make what we feel is the best decision for us for 2018."

I'd actually prefer we draft a power back than bringing in Stewart or Ivory.  Just go with the youth movement.  I don't think Stewart has much left anyways.  Ivory was on the Jags at this point last year and they decided to take Fournette anyway.  Taking Fournette may or may not say anything about Ivory's ability, who knows.  I'd just rather get younger.

4 hours ago, hmsmystic said:

Coach brought him in last year as one of his guys to help establish his locker room culture.  I am sure it's now obvious he can't play anymore

...and I certainly agree.....he fulfilled the role that McD wanted/envisioned and any production numbers would be an added bonus...he was a good soldier period.....but time to move on and good luck to him for his service at OBD....