Sammy Watkins and the Rams

DefenseWins

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am not arguing that.  My point is if you're going to pay someone to run fast in an attempt to draw coverage you can do it for a lot cheaper than 10 million a year.

Jared Goff is the best qb Sammy Watkins played with. Think about that.  And he had a worse rookie year than EJ Manuel. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97

33 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If you showed up to work  81% of the time would you keep your job?

If I was injured on the job and had a contract with injury provisions like Sammy does then yes...

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

First off.......stop being a douchebag.......I was kind to your first ****ty response but know your place on this forum........you ain't peed a drop.

And check out the rookie stats of the other WR's from that 1996 group........huge numbers.........Moulds wasn't on the bench because he was blocked by better talent he was there because of immaturity.    He was the guy keeping the Bills team attorney occupied with his transgressions while those other young WR's were tearing it up on the field like no class before.

Watkins had a maturity issue as well..........but he had a better excuse being drafted onto a bad team when he was 20..........in fact with pretty much every 20 year old the Bills drafted during the drought the story is the same..........when you put kids in leadership positions on a rudderless ship issues follow.    See Marshawn Lynch.    Or Donte Whitner.    Guys who showed flashes of their potential in Buffalo but things turned due to a poor development program/plan in Buffalo and they instead achieved that potential elsewhere.

First off, name calling is not allowed on these forums and is frowned upon, so grow up. LOL.

Still...WTF are you talking about? We're talking about Watkins and Moulds. Why you bringing in Whitner to this discussion? You're really desperate now...LOL

Know my place in the forum? You serious? LOL. I'm supposed to bow down to you or somethin cuz you got more posts? LOL. Junior, you a funny dude. ALL HAIL BADOBILZ DA ALL MIGHTY KING. 

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

6 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

73 catches 1008 yards 9 TD as a rookie #1 WR followed by 63 catches 941 yards 7 TD at 15 ypc suggests you are seriously undervaluing his skillset . 

Yes Watkins has more skills as I've already said but like you said, the mental states differ . 

My whole point was KB can out produce or match Watkins production in any given year, you took my statement a little out of context I guess

So stats = skill set?

i remember when Tony Campbell averaged 23 pts for the expansion timberwolves in 1989 (iirc).  He sucked.  Teams are going to accumulate stats each game played. That doesn’t mean those players that accumulate those stats are as good as their stats suggest.  

Sure, KB can outproduce Sammy.  That doesn’t mean he has a better skill set.  I’d take Sammy every day all day over KB and that’s considering that Sammy is indeed a loon at this point imo.  I guess my biggest problem with KB is his knees.  I don’t think they’ll ever be healthy.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

So stats = skill set?

i remember when Tony Campbell averaged 23 pts for the expansion timberwolves in 1989 (iirc).  He sucked.  Teams are going to accumulate stats each game played. That doesn’t mean those players that accumulate those stats are as good as their stats suggest.  

Sure, KB can outproduce Sammy.  That doesn’t mean he has a better skill set.  I’d take Sammy every day all day over KB and that’s considering that Sammy is indeed a loon at this point imo.  I guess my biggest problem with KB is his knees.  I don’t think they’ll ever be healthy.

No , stats definitely don't equal a players skill, but they definitely give an indication of their skillset, especially moreso in the NFL compared to NBA. 

I would also take Sammy over KB straight up, but if KB can be a bonafide number 1 WR and put up similar numbers, I'm taking him all day because of the difference in their cap hits. And if he doesn't fully recover and his knees are a concern,we simply cut ties next year and let him test the market.

Even without KB, I would not pay Watkins nowhere near 16/mil yearly. Feel he's very talented but very overrated. What would you pay Sammy?

9 hours ago, ko12010 said:

I just don't agree with this assessment at all and don't get why people continue to claim this. QB play has a huge effect on WR play. Not to mention offensive scheme. Benjamin is a stud and better than Sammy. All of our WRs can play, they just don't get the chance to show it. Take note of how someone like Hogan becomes a borderline star with another franchise. He can obviously play, but wasn't good enough for us?

As a general thing, I never understood the hate for Watkins. He had just a little bit of wide-out diva in him, but nowhere at the level of many of his peers. He played hard and played hurt, going half of '16 on a broken foot. Obviously, he's been hobbled by injuries, but there was a stretch in the '15 season where he showed what he could do - which is way more than Kelvin Benjamin has ever shown, even assuming KB has a full recovery from his knee problems. The interesting thing about Watkins / Woods in LA vs Buffalo is how they switched places, with Watkins as Taylor's clear number-one and Woods as Goff's number-one. But this one thing was too hilarious to pass up :

• "Take note of how someone like Hogan becomes a borderline star with another franchise. He can obviously play, but wasn't good enough for us?"   Really? Chris Hogan caught 41 and 36 passes for Buffalo in seasons 2014/2015. He caught 38 and 34 passes for New England in seasons 2016/2017. Yes, there was a 2016 spike in his yards per catch, but this past year it was right back to a Buffalo level : 12.9 vs 12.5. By any yardstick, he's not within shouting distance of being a "borderline star". 

Edited by grb
  • Like (+1) 1

I would be ecstatic to bring Sammy Watkins back. Albeit I would not want to spend $8-9 million/yr. If we could like a 3yr/$21-24 million deal going I would be pumped! He admittedly loved being a Bill (hes a fan too) and also publicly acknowledged his immaturity and seemed sincere from what I have read. I am not sure what his value is in FA because of his injury history and while it would be (what I feel) an excellent career move to sign with SF and develop with Jimmy G, I would be so happy to bring him in for rd. 2 with KB, here! If not for anything else but his willingness to prove himself all over again as the face of the Bills. Which other FA or draft pick aside from a new QB would come (back) into out organization with such a chip on their shoulder? Being the face of Buffalo is something he has openly desired to do and I think that bringing back whether it worked out or notcould alleviate some pressure from a rookie QB.

Realistically though, it is unlikely he comes back and thank God for Brandin Cooks because I feel like Sammy would be too rich for the Pats blood and too similar of a WR to Cooks (for the Pats) to justify paying both. He was by no means the best here and well over-drafted, especially in such a rich WR draft class *facepalm* but in his defense he was constantly hampered by the foot and other minor injuries. Also, I believe that there was a stretch there where we can all agree he looked amazing (i.e., the first half of that KC game was a Madden type effort before we stopped throwing to him...). If we were to bring him back, so as long as the price is right I believe that we would benefit from the (re)surgance of a healthy Sammy Watkins, who is still only 25yo.

However, the key being his health, he is worth nothing for no amount of money as a WR if he cannot stay on the field. I honestly feel though given our organizations familiarity with his previous injury history in conjunction with his first healthy season in the last few years, I would take a flier on him for sure! I mean we need our draft picks for seemingly everything including a QB, why not? This may sound condescending and I dont mean it to be but who else in this years FA market do you think the BIlls (OUR BILLS, lets be real) would target? I feel like Sammy Watkins is as game as anyone, if not more than anyone else. 

1 hour ago, grb said:

As a general thing, I never understood the hate for Watkins. He had just a little bit of wide-out diva in him, but nowhere at the level of many of his peers. He played hard and played hurt, going half of '16 on a broken foot. Obviously, he's been hobbled by injuries, but there was a stretch in the '15 season where he showed what he could do - which is way more than Kelvin Benjamin has ever shown, even assuming KB has a full recovery from his knee problems. The interesting thing about Watkins / Woods in LA vs Buffalo is how they switched places, with Watkins as Taylor's clear number-one and Woods as Goff's number-one. But this one thing was too hilarious to pass up :

• "Take note of how someone like Hogan becomes a borderline star with another franchise. He can obviously play, but wasn't good enough for us?"   Really? Chris Hogan caught 41 and 36 passes for Buffalo in seasons 2014/2015. He caught 38 and 34 passes for New England in seasons 2016/2017. Yes, there was a 2016 spike in his yards per catch, but this past year it was right back to a Buffalo level : 12.9 vs 12.5. By any yardstick, he's not within shouting distance of being a "borderline star". 

I never had hate for him. emotions can be wasteful in these matters

The issue from a football perspect was the injuries. And honestly i never thought he was going to be healthy. Also i feel the Bills might have not done nearly as well as they could , getting him healthy .

at the end , i felt he wanted to leave and Bills decided that was best.

Edited by 3rdand12