The Official List of WGR's Cringeworthy and Annoying Commercials

BuffaloRush

1 hour ago, Gigs said:

Clearly the jingles work since y’all have such great recall regarding them. You know the company and what they’re offering. 

You're all complaining that the jingles are so well done you can’t forget them. Sounds like good advertising to me. 

Yep

8 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

They sure do push the daylights out of that Game Time 550 beer.  Even worse is the spot where the two 'beer experts' are describing the beer's merits and characteristics. 

Also annoying is how commercials are now edited, so there's virtually no space between words.  The annoying girl who pesters me to look up Scott Caldwell for my GEICO insurance comes to mind.

Edited to add a commercial for some day spa that  ran during the holiday season in 2016 or 2017 where the ever earnest 'Buddy Schula' was describing the disappointment in his wife's face when he got her passes for a 'lesser' spa.  It was only later I discovered 'Buddy Schula' is an invented character.  Damn near hired Celino and Barnes to sue the asshat for false advertising!

What's next you're going to tell me Sandy Beach or Pat Hammer are made up names!

Aurora Audiology is the only commercial I turn the radio off for. I just listen to the hum of my engine, and make sure that sounds ok for the entire time that commercial runs. The rest, I'm sick of hearing the same thing over and over again. I'm sick of how a company like Geico can equally advertise to get people to buy their insurance, and also to get a job there. Hey their programming is free, so I guess were stuck with their commercials. The worst commercials are the ads that run on MSG during sabres games. I think there are only 5 ads that run on repeat every single commercial break. For that reason I welcome when the games are on NBC sports network.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cars 4 Kids is on constantly on 92.3 Cleveland 

it's on SiriusXm constantly (or used to be) and they'd carry the Bills radio broadcast and pave over the natural WGR commercials, so it may not have played on WGR "proper"

or whatever the Bills station was at the time carrying it....

Edited by row_33

On February 7, 2018 at 11:04 PM, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

My wife and I always joke about all the horrible commercials / weird jingles on WGR. It’s like being in a time warp. Seems like the national average would be about 20% of radio ads using a jingle. I think it’s like 80% on GR. 

A couple comments on this point:

1) If you can, listen an hour late each day to the programming of your choice.  You can listen pre-recorded that way, reduce an hour show to 40 minutes, and all commercials are automatically edited out.  I like to listen to Schopp & Bulldog each day, but try to listen all of it "tape delayed" as it goes faster and there are no commercials.

2) I couldn't agree more with the "time warp" comment.  Some of the custom made songs for local WNY businesses, presumably made by WNY advertisers, are out of the 1950s.  They are just so outdated and not hip/current in their sound, you wonder who the hell is creating the stuff.

3) There are some commercials made for radio that are just instant headache manufacturers, where you have a lot of harsh voices talking really fast in an annoying cacophony of sound, in a hammer-over-the head staccato fashion.  That is usually followed up by even worse speed reading of the legal disclaimer at the end.  I usually rush to hit "mute" on my laptop as fast as I hear these, so as to avoid said headache.  I often wonder what company would sign off on such an ad, as it casts the company in the worst possible light.  

4) WNY is a small market and you can clearly hear the same few voices doing all of the singing in these weirdo 1950s songs on GR-55.  

5) Remember how freaking bad John Gurtler was as the voice of the Sabres for a while?  Listen for him doing voiceovers on GR-55 ads; he is on there quite a bit.  You'll recognize his voice right away if you remember him from his Sabres days. 

On February 8, 2018 at 7:17 AM, ProcessTheTrust said:

Brotherly Love, Hear More, and anything else by that same lady

Spot on!  

She has cornered the WNY market on this type of thing!  

"Brotherly care, brotherly love...brotherly love, Brothers of Mercy."

This haunts me!

On February 8, 2018 at 3:43 AM, row_33 said:

No Cars 4 Kids?

"1-888-Kars4Kids, 1-888 Kars4 Kids. 

1-888-Kars4Kids, donate your car today."

I would love to find the kid singing that song and torture him slowly in front of his parents.

• Haha (+1) 1