If the Giants/Colts are willing, should we attempt to trade up now or during the draft?

JaCrispy

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Nobody on Earth can guarantee how long Eli will play at a high level.  He already has a dozen plus NFL seasons on his odometer.  Expectations are low for the Giants so no better time to do the less glamourous housekeeping

So you prematurely close the door on a 37 year old QB you've won 2 Super Bowls with when other QB's are playing well into their 40's?  Brady is 4 years older and Pats let Garoppolo walk.  Smart move for Giants is to build around Eli and acquire a 1st next year as insurance.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

Eli said in an interview during super bowl week. That he isn't going anywhere. I don't see the G men going qb high in the draft. 

Here’s what you do...the Giants are gonna go all on to try and win one more super bowl with Eli imo...what better way to do that than with a bunch of draft picks from the Bills to help them solidify another championship run...then if it all falls apart they could still potentially have the extra pick next year to get their new QB...but something tells me they want to at least try one more time with Eli.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Here’s what you do...the Giants are gonna go all on to try and win one more super bowl with Eli imo...what better way to do that than with a bunch of draft picks from the Bills to help them solidify another championship run...then if it all falls apart they could still potentially have the extra pick next year to get their new QB...but something tells me they want to at least try one more time with Eli.

Here's the problem with that line of thinking: it makes sense because you approach it from the vantage point of what would most benefit you, not the best move for the other organization. The best move for a team with an aging QB that suddenly finds itself at the top of the draft in a draft that's being touted as being strong at QB, is to take a QB.

6 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Here's the problem with that line of thinking: it makes sense because you approach it from the vantage point of what would most benefit you, not the best move for the other organization. The best move for a team with an aging QB that suddenly finds itself at the top of the draft in a draft that's being touted as being strong at QB, is to take a QB.

I hear ya...my thinking is that it doesn’t really help their chances for this year...and that perhaps they might be thinking that way...and remember, they are going to have a healthy ODB Jr. back.

27 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

So you prematurely close the door on a 37 year old QB you've won 2 Super Bowls with when other QB's are playing well into their 40's?  Brady is 4 years older and Pats let Garoppolo walk.  Smart move for Giants is to build around Eli and acquire a 1st next year as insurance.  

Well into their 40's implies that they are playing close to 50 years of age and at a high level of production to boot.  I don't see that anyplace.  Can you name more than one or two Qb's who fit that description to establish a pattern?  Blanda got some great grandson coming out of college?  You never build around a QB who is definitely in his last quarter in terms of career.  If we were talking about Joe Ferguson who basically was around two different offensive eras that would be one thing but his second era happened before he turned 30.  The same thing with Brady.

24 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I don't see that playing put from the Bills POV. If the Bills managed to move too #2. There guy better be there and not gone at #1.

Unless the Bills are just crazy over a prospect. That they would overpay for that QB. I don't see OBD thinking that way.

Now 15 minutes becore the #2 pick is made and their guy is still on the board. Then go for it. Even if the cost is higher. 

I just don't see the Bills moving that high in any scenario though. 

i don't think i trust the scouts enough to give up that much to trade up for a QB.  they would probably pick the biggest bust of them all.  they will take Todd Blackledge and then Dan Marino will be picked in the 20's and we would have had him without trading up

25 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

21, 22, Glenn and next years 1st for pick #2.  

I know you're not alone in this line of thinking, but for me anything that involves next year's 1st round pick is an immediate disqualifier for me....

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Well into their 40's implies that they are playing close to 50 years of age and at a high level of production to boot.  I don't see that anyplace.  Can you name more than one or two Qb's who fit that description to establish a pattern?  Blanda got some great grandson coming out of college?  You never build around a QB who is definitely in his last quarter in terms of career.  If we were talking about Joe Ferguson who basically was around two different offensive eras that would be one thing but his second era happened before he turned 30.  The same thing with Brady.

Playing well into their 40's means what Brady and Brees are doing right now.  Manning is younger than both of them.  Will those guys fall off a cliff?  Maybe, but they are still championship level QB's and I think Giants would be foolish to put a premature end date on Eli's career which is what they'd be doing drafting a QB at #2 overall.  

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

I know you're not alone in this line of thinking, but for me anything that involves next year's 1st round pick is an immediate disqualifier for me....

He's using JJ's draft value board. There are others out there that put 2 = 21+22 and a 5th rounder. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Why?

Go big or go home when it comes to the most important position on the field.....we are gonna have a lot of money next year to spend on free agents.

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I think the Giants will absolutely demand a #1 pick next year to justify passing on a QB this year.  

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

He's using JJ's draft value board. There are others out there that put 2 = 21+22 and a 5th rounder. 

I would think we might have to throw in a 2nd rounder...but if Beane can pull off what u mentioned, he is God.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I think the Giants will absolutely demand a #1 pick next year to justify passing on a QB this year.  

Which I completely understand because if Eli doesn’t work out they will need to get their QB next year.

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

There are strategies for both options...however to guarantee some other team doesn’t beat us to the punch I would love to complete a trade as quickly as possible...thoughts?

Seems awfully risky to plan a big trade up when you don't know if your guy will be there at the top.

I could see us planning an intermediate trade-up into the high to mid teens ahead of time, to better position us to trade up into the top if that's what we want.

I believe there are good QBs in this draft but only three are ‘can’t miss guys,’ and even ‘can’t miss guys’ sometimes don’t turn out. 

I soundly believe in Rosen, Mayfield, and Darnold. Trade whatever you have to, to get one. 

• Like (+1) 2