Yes or no to a stopgap QB?

Luxy312

I'd say yes... After all, who's to say a stop-gap can't turn into the real deal?... I won't let the whole Tyrod thing sour me on journeyman vets.... I think we should make a play for several of these so-called stop-gaps... If nothing else, it should make TC more competitive...  With that said, I'll issue a small caveat for the FO... NO TO FITZY.... The only Fitzpatrick on our roster next year, should be Minkah, and that's that!

3 minutes ago, mead107 said:

When you passing through for lunch? 

No plans for a Buffalo trip for quite a while. Certainly not in winter. And not worth driving in for the Sabres. Maybe around Memorial Day?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No plans for a Buffalo trip for quite a while. Certainly not in winter. And not worth driving in for the Sabres. Maybe around Memorial Day?

Let me know. Think we are doing Maine this year. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You are not familiar with the Eagles salary cap situationand personnel to propose such a deal.  Taylor costs more than Foles and they have no need for Glenn. Beyond that there's no certainty that Wentz will be ready before the season starts.

No way that Peterman would get more snaps than Rudolph in your scenario.

Madden said it would worrk though so we should do it.  Just messing with you LA.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just pointing out there could be need to clarify what is meant by "offense has to be tailored to him and his play style"

Reich and Pederson were able to change the plays they called to better accommodate Foles' skills, using the same players, system, and overall playbook

It's really not that far off the sort of adjustments that should be made for individual opponents from week to week

It really depends on what the vision for the offense is and what "system" they want to run; if there is a specific system, and how the QB they eventually want to draft fits into it, as does our pass blocking scheme and general strengths and weaknesses of the OLmen.

No need to make this another TT thread, god knows there are only like 150+ of those. We all know that his strengths are much different than a pocket passer; etc...

If the Bills want to have a competition at QB in training camp with Peterman as part of that competition, I'm OK with that, but that competition has to include a viable alternative.  That would most likely be a veteran journeyman.  If the journeyman is better, then you start him.

5 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

If the Bills want to have a competition at QB in training camp with Peterman as part of that competition, I'm OK with that, but that competition has to include a viable alternative.  That would most likely be a veteran journeyman.  If the journeyman is better, then you start him.

Peteredman will have a role in training camp.  He has proved he is very good at throwing balls to DBs and we need the interception practice.

6 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

If we trade up for one of the big 3 QBs (I consider that to be Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield), then I would not mind bringing in Bradford. Injuries, I know, but if he can give us 2-4 games either after beating out the rookie (he has the talent) or coming off the bench, then he would be worth it as he will likely be fairly cheap. 

The thing is, Bonham, that's a giant "if".  It was a giant "if" before Philly traded for him.  It's a gimondulous "if" now. 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Peteredman will have a role in training camp.  He has proved he is very good at throwing balls to DBs and we need the interception practice.

Huh, I never thought of it before, but we really were pretty good at snagging the picks at the beginning of the season.  "Nate Favre" indeed.

18 hours ago, Guffalo said:

Agreed, everyone hear is a fanboy for NP.

IMO

It is not a COT type of blind fan boy lovefest for NP as in with the Taylor boys. It is that the kid showed spark, he is also on a rookie contract so to have him progress and fill in a few games till the new rookie drafted this year is ready is fine with many, including me.

To have our QBs on rookie contracts it gives this team money to spend this year so it helps with the money being still spent on released players while cleaning the cap for next season.

IMO let NP and the new kid from 2018 draft play it out this season and then since they are both on rookie contracts it will free up even more money for next seasons FAs that can be brought in. All about 2019 season IMO. This 2018 season will be more of a step back learning season and cleaning up the cap IMO.

The bridge QBs here have done nothing but get in the way of developing or even trying to get a rookie franchise worthy QB. Build around a real talent at QB not a overpriced bridge to nowhere that this team has been stuck in since Kelly.

I do like Cousins as a franchise QB and I would like him here but man the money he will want is just way too much for what the Bills would pay IMO.

So IMO I say no to the stopgap

Sad part about the stopgap QB talk is IMO the COT trying real hard to sell and keep TT by playing the look over here while we play you over there game.

COT talks big about moving on from TT by saying, "hey look the other teams bridge is better then ours". So boom you are now on board to a bridge. So they then sell you again since you bit on the bridge idea "why get the other teams bridge we have a bridge in TT already here".  IMO the bridge to nowhere is what it is, a bridge with no exit, Fitzmagic baby. SMH

Edited by xRUSHx

I think the braintrust is actively looking for the best QB possible while keeping the nucleus of the team intact and not destroying the cap. They will let the best man win and the draft will fall to them, and they will not lose assets to reach into the top 5. I can't see them drastically overpaying for Cousins.  I really hope we can obtain McCarron or Foles. Both have enough experience and talent to elevate our offense without having to rely on a rookie or Peterman. 

I hope Cousins goes to the Jets and Denver signs a vet, which may put Mayfield in play for us. In this scenario, I could see the Bills trading up into the 10-14 range to take him, basically reversing the script from last year. We'd forever argue the Mayfield vs Mahomes, was it worth it.

There are not a lot of scenarios where I see Tyrod here. The only way is if we don't trade before the March deadline, then it's pay the man and draft the future. I just find it hard to see how we can spin it where TT is the man and how does that affect the locker room.  We'll find out soon enough.

I think i would rather keep TT & draft a rookie in this years draft instead of breaking the bank on some one like Cousins !!

Mason Rudolph should be there when the Bills pick & he reminds me of a Phillip Rivers i don't think Bills fans would mind a QB like that for the next 10 yrs & who knows if Baker does take a epic fall like Rogers did the Bills could grab him or do what the Skins did & draft both Bker & Rudolph if there & use one for trade bait .

I know thats dreaming & a lot of people even myself thought it was foolish that the Skins drafted 2 QB's but it seemed to work out pretty well for them ...

19 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

Should the Bills go after yet another journeyman QB as a stopgap between the presumed QB of the future that they're supposed to get in the draft?  If you go after and pay for a guy like Kirk Cousins, you're clearly getting your guy for the next 6-8 years or maybe even more.  There are a LOT of guys out there though that could serve in that interim role.  What do people think?  Personally, I say no.  This team has been doing the "stopgap" thing for two decades.  If they draft a rookie QB early, I say they start Peterman and then the rookie if need be mid-season.  

I'll put it out there that I don't understand what the question really is here.

You're absolutely right, the team has been doing the "don't spend too much draft capital, don't spend too much in FA" QB shuffle for two decades.  In short, they have not invested sufficiently at QB, and that includes a coherent strategy for drafting and development of a QB.  

Why do you think that taking a shot at a rookie then plugging him into a situation where he has no capable vet to learn from or sit behind, would represent a change?  What you describe in your sentence is EXACTLY the "stopgap" thing you rightly argue the Bills should no longer do!

We need to go after the best QB we can land in both FA and the draft.  Then we need to look for an upgrade.  Then we need to keep looking for an upgrade, until we are satisfied that we have the desired level of QB play.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The thing is, Bonham, that's a giant "if".  It was a giant "if" before Philly traded for him.  It's a gimondulous "if" now. 

It is an if, but not sure it is gimondulous. As appealing as that word is to me. 

2017: 2

2016: 15

2015: 14

2014: 0

2013: 7

2012: 16

2011: 10

2010: 16

He's averaging 10 games per year. I get that injuries are cumulative. I also get that sports medicine is only getting better. I think we can squeeze him for 2-4 games. But really it's pretty random whether or not he gets injured again. On that I think we can both agree. 

36 minutes ago, T master said:

I think i would rather keep TT & draft a rookie in this years draft instead of breaking the bank on some one like Cousins !!

Mason Rudolph should be there when the Bills pick & he reminds me of a Phillip Rivers i don't think Bills fans would mind a QB like that for the next 10 yrs & who knows if Baker does take a epic fall like Rogers did the Bills could grab him or do what the Skins did & draft both Bker & Rudolph if there & use one for trade bait .

I know thats dreaming & a lot of people even myself thought it was foolish that the Skins drafted 2 QB's but it seemed to work out pretty well for them ...

While I doubt Mayfield falls, I am on board for drafting 2 QBs. If we ended up with one of those top 6 in the 1st round and then went back and picked up Falk in the 3rd or 4th, I'd be happy we're at least trying. 

But really I want us to trade up to 3 because I see Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield as all really worth it. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

19 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

It is an if, but not sure it is gimondulous. As appealing as that word is to me. 

2017: 2

2016: 15

2015: 14

2014: 0

2013: 7

2012: 16

2011: 10

2010: 16

He's averaging 10 games per year. I get that injuries are cumulative. I also get that sports medicine is only getting better. I think we can squeeze him for 2-4 games. But really it's pretty random whether or not he gets injured again. On that I think we can both agree. 

While I doubt Mayfield falls, I am on board for drafting 2 QBs. If we ended up with one of those top 6 in the 1st round and then went back and picked up Falk in the 3rd or 4th, I'd be happy we're at least trying. 

But really I want us to trade up to 3 because I see Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield as all really worth it. 

I love that word, invented by my friend "McShannon" to describe bikini mud-wrestling a biker chick in a dive bar in her young and winsome days.  Good times, good times.

I think this is an area where career average # of games played isn't enlightening.  The question is: what is the outcome of patients who have two surgeries to repair ACL, then suffer a third injury?  The answer seems to be that a guy with two surgeries who returns to previous activity levels (as Bradford did) is a walking advertisement for his orthopedic surgeon and his rehab team, because his odds are below even.  But re-injuring a 3rd time puts him in pretty much unknown territory, and what info there is suggests that the prognosis is not good.  

The other thing is that it's non-random; just as Bradford got re-injured in pre-season after the first ACL tear, the odds are highest that he'll be re-injured this time, closest to the injury while it still may be incompletely healed and he may not have recovered full strength in the injury.  I'd feel better about Bradford actually if he sits out a year and rehabs.

In any case, we seem to agree that Bradford, while a capable NFL QB with good passing skills, is a physical "dark horse" upon whom one can not completely rely.

• Like (+1) 1