Why Do you Love the Buffalo Bills?

Buffalo716

17 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Around 1973, I was living in North Jersey and was about 10 years old when my Dad gave me a Buffalo Bills helmet for Christmas. Why he chose the Bills - or where he found it (we were right in the middle of Jets/Giants territory) - I have no idea, but I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. 

My parents also happened to get me a subscription to Pro Football Weekly. Why my parents were suddenly pushing football on me (they knew nothing about the sport) I have no idea. But that issue happened to have  OJ  being led by Joe Del. by on the cover and an article on how "the Electric Company turns the Juice loose" or something. 

So mix the helmet with the magazine cover and I was sold. And I've been a Buffalo Bills fan ever since. I've been to Buffalo one time - to see the Dolphins/Bills game where Kelly ran it in with no time left to win the game! It was fantastic. Haven't been back since...but one day, I hope to go back, get some good wings, and see another game.

Until then, 

Go Bills! (from Vegas)

What a beautiful story!  Brought tears to my eyes!  Not really - but great story.  Go Bills!

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was phenomenal... electric, a real slasher 

OJ has his detractors these days, but the man flat out assaulted defenses like very few I've ever seen.  He used to give opposing defensive coordinators nightmares b/c it was murder trying to prepare for him.

Back in those days on the field, OJ acquitted himself very well.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Grew up in Philly, never really became an Iggles fan, kinda liked the raiders with The Snake and the motley crew of players they had then.  Graduated from RIT, on my first job a co worker said lets go to a Bills game!!  I nearly spewed my drink all over him and managed to sputter the Bills SUX!  Well in 1985 they sure did!!  After lots of cajoling and being told the tailgate will be worth it!  I went.  Even after being involved in a minor multi car accident trying to get into the lot after that first tailgate I was hooked.  Bruce and Andre were drafted that year too.  Actually ended up going to all 8 games.....then the Bills acquired Kelly, midway thru the season Marv took over and season tixs were bought, sat in the scoreboard endzone for a long time.....saw some epic games, the comeback, the mashing of the Raiders in the AFC Championship, the Monday night game against the Lambs when the scored 17 in the 4th quarter to win!  Was on the field after the Jests game when we clinched the division in NOVEMBER and was nearly knocked down by the posts coming down - I can actually see myself in the picture where the fan is standing on the goalpost in '88.  Was standing on the buffalo for the last time we would be allowed on the field (then the dogs showed up and no more of those hijinks) and watched the goal posts get passed around the lower bowl - up into the upper deck and then over the side - amazeballs no one was hurt.  Saw the posts or what was left of them being paraded around while partying in the lot after the game.

Many many many crazy Parking Lot adventures, one Miami game, it was snowing pretty good - for some reason we had a mannequin that had a Marino jersey and a phin's helemt that we drove to the game with while it was strapped to the roof, once we got set up in the lot we leaned it up against the guardrails - people would come outa NOWHERE to make flying tackles to that thing......we ended up burning the marino effigy after the game......security was NOT happy......home Raiders games were ALWAYS the best, them fans are FREAKS!  Made it to 2 super bowls, thot for sure they were gonna win that last one against the cowpokes!!  Was a miserable night in Atlanta that nite.....

Ended up moving my season tixs to the Kelly Club Section....heated seats and just under the overhang, they were sweet - right on the 20 yard line - those damn tix ended up being one of many reasons that I ended my 22 year run with the Bills, only missed 3 games in that span, just the cost of it and the putrid product that was on the field led to me watching on TV.  Was there for that STOOPID "Miracle" Forward Pass game.  Still go to games now and then and still witness the tailgate hilarity only on a single game basis now.  Starting to seriously think of getting season tix now that the coaching and front office is looking good.  Baby steps.

Sorry for the long winded diatribe but them tailgates, the SB's, the players from those teams, hanging with those same players. THATS why I am a Bills fan for life.  For awhile there it was a GIVEN we would make the playoffs....then the drought and the patsies came along......ugh!  Things are turning around tho!  GO BILLS!!

Don't apologize!  Great story man!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Thanks man!  Your screen image is the very pix I am talking about too!!  What a day that was......I had this STOOPID foam finger that my wife screamed to me to give her as I took off down the stairs to get my ass on the field.....I was no kidding on the ground on my hand and knees and tons of people milling around at one point thinking this ain't good - all of a sudden this dude the size of a NFL Lineman just picked me up - man was I happy!  Oh and the Foam Finger?  Made it back in one piece much to the amazement of my now ex wife.

Man those were the days!!!  I will never ever stop watching and rooting!!!

GO BILLS!

OMFG!!!  THAT was hilarious!!!

I have a really nice framed poster of that image hanging in my mancave.  My uncle still has an actual piece of the goalpost from the 1990 game against Miami. My only regret is not being a bit older during that time to truly partake in the festivities of that era.  But likewise Bills Fan for life!

When my parents came to America back in the 50's, they settled in Buffalo. They met, moved to California, then married. I came around, and when I was young (early - mid-70's) they got homesick and they moved the family back to Buffalo. We lived back there a minute of my life before they figured they made a mistake and moved back to CA. Family was always in Buffalo. We visited often. My father was a huge Bills fan. I think he instilled that upon me...somehow. Maybe it was a way to be different out here in CA. Anyway, been a fan since the mid-70's, Somehow I talked my daughter into going to college in WNY, so I still get to go back often...and even catch a game each year. It's a Buffalove thing...it's tough to overcome. 

• Like (+1) 1

Moved up to Buffalo from GA in mid-80s and lived in wife's parents' home while attending UB.  My 2 sons went to first NFL game in '86.  Been a family tradition since.  Probably Larry Felser, and Smerlas and Haslett on Monday night radio got me emotionally attached.  Loved those guys.  Me and my boys suffered through 4 SB loses in GA later, so we have to stick it out now.  We look forward to our trip to Bflo every fall.  

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was born and raised in Buffalo, and my Bills fan dad was born and raised in Buffalo. Enough said! I was born a Bills fan and will be one until I die. 

If you only had 1 choice... The Buckeyes win 1 more National Championship or the Bills win a SB...

what do you chose?

Edited by Buffalo716

13 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I followed and loved the team from my youngest days as a fan in Buffalo.  Every season I made scrap books by cutting out pictures and box scores from each game from TBN and Courier Express.  Wish I still had them. 

I have all of mine, you should see them

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you only had 1 choice... The Buckeyes win 1 more National Championship or the Bills win a SB...

what do you chose?

Bills ... because the Buckeyes have been blessed already 2X in my lifetime. Tough choice but I can live with it. There is a big difference in being a Buckeye fan vs a Bills fan. One brings relief with winning due to expectations,  the other brings euphoria. Plus, wins over our rival and big 10 championships mean a ton to me and can be achieved apart from the cfb playoff. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I have a really nice framed poster of that image hanging in my mancave.  My uncle still has an actual piece of the goalpost from the 1990 game against Miami. My only regret is not being a bit older during that time to truly partake in the festivities of that era.  But likewise Bills Fan for life!

I too have that same poster, with all the tixs from that game framed into it too.......the jests tix looks like it went thru the washer!!!  I was dumb enough to pass on buying that slice of history......dumb dumb dumb.

2 hours ago, Kwai San said:

I too have that same poster, with all the tixs from that game framed into it too.......the jests tix looks like it went thru the washer!!!  I was dumb enough to pass on buying that slice of history......dumb dumb dumb.

I carry the ticket stub from the Miami game in my wallet to this day. I think the face value of that sideline season ticket was $13....but to me it’s still priceless!

• Like (+1) 1

I fell in love with the Buffalo Bills when I was 13 years old. I had gotten one of those seat cushions with the Bills logo on it for my birthday. They were about 15" square, 1" thick and had a vinyl cover. Well, I discovered that if you folded it in half and added some lotion....Well, you get the idea. Anyway, I've been in love with the Bills ever since.

Snap4.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

What could of been with 27

3 hours ago, Kemp2Warlick said:

Buffalo born...I became a Bills fan reading the morning paper sports page...Courier Express....No one in my family followed sports except me.

Likewise