Should we throw Peterman on the trash heap for 1 bad outing?

Sky Diver

Obviously you don't "throw him in the trash heap" after one season.

But you also have to understand that some prospects deserve more time than others.  Guys with a very large ceiling, or guys who clearly seem to be progressing quickly need to be shown priority.  You just can't give every quarterback on your roster 3-4 years to improve.  It's important for coaches to understand a player's strengths and weaknesses, then watch how they are progressing during practice and during real games.  And every player is different.

Someone like EJ Manuel deserved more development time, because he already had all the physical tools to become a successful QB and the right attitude to work hard.  For him, the biggest problem was mechanics (which drastically hurt his throwing accuracy).  Once it became clear that his mechanics weren't going to get better at the NFL level, it was time to cut bait.

On the flip side, Nate Peterman just doesn't seem to have the arm strength to make all the throws.  It's a clear and identifiable ceiling to his game.  That's why he wasn't a high draft pick, and why most don't believe he can become more than a good backup in the NFL.  Bills coaches can spend the offseason helping Peterman work on improving his power and drive into throws.  But if it doesn't take a big jump by next year, it's safe to assume it's not an issue that will improve.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think you throw him to the trash heap before the season, every team needs a camp arm. Saying that, you bring in competition and make him earn his job, he shouldn't get any free passes because he's a.) a young QB or b.)went into action early. He should be treated like every other player that is drafted late. If a better prospect comes along and beats him out, then so be it.

3 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

He has a baby arm, sucks under pressure and is ugly. I wish we would clean the QB room completely and start from scratch there. Peterman is not the answer. 

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

why not be all inclusive?  

Peterman is not the answer. 

Taylor is not the answer. 

Webb is not the answer. 

he kind of did...

I second that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I guess it's how one reads it.  I think it can be taken a number of ways. 

"they would be OK with going into next season with Peterman as the QB". 

• Does that mean that think he's a franchise guy?
  • Does that mean that think he will improve and be a good QB?
  • Does that mean that think he's anyone but Taylor? 

The caveat is "what else does Beane and McDermott do to improve the QB situation".  

I want to give each and every new player a chance to prove them self and not judge them too harshly too soon. 

I'm squarely in this camp.

If we can't get another QB who's better, and Peterman had a good camp and preseason, I'm okay with giving him the go ahead.

Do I think he'll be a franchise guy?

No I don't

Do I think he's an improvement to tyrod?

He might wind up getting there.

Anybody but tyrod?

YEP.

I say draft a rookie shytcan Tyrod and let Peterman and the rookie battle it out to see who starts. If they are going to give up their first born in the draft to get a rookie QB he should play immediately if not there's no point. Get a stop gap better than Tyrod and get a rookie further down the draft to groom for a season then let him rip.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

When did Fitzpatrick's smarts translate to making good decisions as a QB?  

I think he made a lot of good decisions. A lot of times he just didn't have the arm to get the ball there. Although he did often get stumped against Rex's defense. 

Edited by Scott7975

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think he made a lot of good decisions. A lot of times he just didn't have the arm to get the ball there. Although he did often get stumped against Rex's defense. 

His awful TD/INT ratio is at least partially attributable to bad decision making in addition to physical limitations. 

8 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

He has a baby arm, sucks under pressure and is ugly. I wish we would clean the QB room completely and start from scratch there. Peterman is not the answer. 

Peterman is poison to this coaching staff.   Suppose they start him in a regular season game and he plays poorly (like he has so far).    Everyone including the media, fans, players and Pegulas will put a large percentage of the blame on McDermott for playing him.   Truth is that Peterman has shown zero reason whatsoever to justify giving him a shot at another start.   He hasn't shown any upside at all - just downside.  

Only way Peterman starts a regular season game for the Bills again (in my opinion) is if the Bills are forced to start him because of injury while Peterman is still on this team.

I think odds are decent that he is not on the team at all for the first game of the regular season.    I think Bills will either outright cut him during preseason if he sucks bad enough or else (if he plays well) showcase him hard in preseason and then look to get rid of him in a trade somehow somewhere.

It just seems like Peterman has an insurmountable uphill climb at this point and I think the Bills already know that.

10 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Peterman has about as much chance of being on the Bills 2018 regular season roster as SaviorPeterman.

There will not be room for him.

....agreed...the Peterman "era" is over....he overstayed his EXTENDED welcome....need to make room for Jimmy The Pickle, Victoria Barkley and hopefully The Cutlet if Fins reluctantly let him go....why bother with developing damn rookies with that Three Headed Monster in waiting?......

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....agreed...the Peterman "era" is over....he overstayed his EXTENDED welcome....need to make room for Jimmy The Pickle, Victoria Barkley and hopefully The Cutlet if Fins reluctantly let him go....why bother with developing damn rookies with that Three Headed Monster in waiting?......

It's not the end of the Peterman era, it's the end of the Peterman error.

• Like (+1) 1