Should we throw Peterman on the trash heap for 1 bad outing?

Sky Diver

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

First off, I don't think that starting him at an away game was the best decision, Plus, he got no help from the offensive line. On at least a couple of the interceptions he was hit as he was releasing the ball.

Peterman was clearly brought in because Taylor wasn't throwing the ball downfield. Consequently he overcompensated and should have the eaten the ball in a couple of cases where he tried to make plays.

I'll reserve judgment on Peterman until the Bills strengthen the offensive line.

No and thankfully Beane and McD are smart enough to understand that you can't judge a 5th round rookie, or any rookie, based on one bad outing especially since it came against a top defense and one of the best DB's in the NFL on the road.

Also NP acquitted himself well in the Colts game (that we don't win without him starting) and other mop up duty. I think what was truly impressive is how he played against the Jags playoff game given the circumstances.

The future is very bright for NP and I've heard he's already hitting the offseason workout regime hard and looking forward to competing for the starting job next year. Expect big things from him this summer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would keep Peterman around. I dont think he is the answer at QB but can serve as a back up. I think he can be a better QB with some protection. He makes some nice throws but then some awful ones too. I would still draft a QB in the first or second and let them battle it out as the #2 while a vet QB starts next season.

Peterman in my opinion isn't even a guarantee to make the team next year.

If they decide to draft a rookie this year, Peterman will have to hope the Bills keep 3 QBS.

Because you can surely bet they will bring in a veteran to back up the rookie, and that would leave Peterman as the 3rd QB

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He'd be competing for a roster spot under a scenario like that. 

Like I said if he has taken some steps and grown then this shouldn't be a problem. If he finishes a distant 3rd then he wasn't good enough anyway.

4 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

No and thankfully Beane and McD are smart enough to understand that you can't judge a 5th round rookie, or any rookie, based on one bad outing especially since it came against a top defense and one of the best DB's in the NFL on the road.

Also NP acquitted himself well in the Colts game (that we don't win without him starting) and other mop up duty. I think what was truly impressive is how he played against the Jags playoff game given the circumstances.

The future is very bright for NP and I've heard he's already hitting the offseason workout regime hard and looking forward to competing for the starting job next year. Expect big things from him this summer.

Truly impressive how he played against the Jags?

In like 4 snaps he fumbled that luckily went out of bounds, had an intentional grounding, and threw and interception....

He made 1 throw for like 11 yards....

1 minute ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I would keep Peterman around. I dont think he is the answer at QB but can serve as a back up. I think he can be a better QB with some protection. He makes some nice throws but then some awful ones too. I would still draft a QB in the first or second and let them battle it out as the #2 while a vet QB starts next season.

No way a 1st or 2nd round pick is 3rd in the pecking order behind Peterman. It makes absolutely no sense.   Beane owes no allegiance to a 5th round QB (that he did not draft) who showed little to nothing as an NFL QB. 

The Nate haters love this. I just want to tell them ,you are off base in most of you diatribes against Nate and are blinded by your affection for Taylor. I used to be a Taylor guy too, but after three dismal years , gave up. I believe that Nate will be given a chance in camp to start. I also believe that McD/Beane will draft a QB, not sure where but I will trust their judgement. I will trust the Process, as  the Nate haters seem to be at odds with. This of course is IMO.

21 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

The Nate haters love this. I just want to tell them ,you are off base in most of you diatribes against Nate and are blinded by your affection for Taylor. I used to be a Taylor guy too, but after three dismal years , gave up. I believe that Nate will be given a chance in camp to start. I also believe that McD/Beane will draft a QB, not sure where but I will trust their judgement. I will trust the Process, as  the Nate haters seem to be at odds with. This of course is IMO.

I take no joy in the fact that the Bills drafted a guy that played the worst half of football since the merger his first time out. I take no joy in the fact that he fumbled, took a grounding penalty and got picked in the playoff game. I take no joy in the fact that he completed less than half of his pass attempts to his guys and over 10% of them to the opponents. That doesn’t make any of us happy.

We want the Bills to do well. I really question anyone that wants him here actually? A long shot, 5th round QB, that lacks physical tools, that played like trash, isn’t the future of this team. He belongs on the trash. It’s not personal; it’s business.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

I am a Nate hater who has been on the "replace Tyrod" train for almost two full seasons.  Tyrod isn't good enough but he has NOTHING to do with the fact that Nate is trash.  I was of that view before he was drafted here and he has done nothing to change my mind.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I am a Nate hater who has been on the "replace Tyrod" train for almost two full seasons.  Tyrod isn't good enough but he has NOTHING to do with the fact that Nate is trash.  I was of that view before he was drafted here and he has done nothing to change my mind.  

The term hater is so damned juvenile as if there's some personal vendetta against a player who someone believes lacks the requisite skill set to succeed at the NFL level.  It's rather comical and pathetic. 

Not in the "trash heap" because of one bad game...  but he has an uphill battle.  His 1 attempt in the WC game was a bad throw to a DB too.  He had the same OL and receivers and OC.

New OC, new opportunity, I'm not holding my breath.  How short is his leash if you start him again?  If he throws a pick in his first 5 attempts?  2 in his first 10?  Is that just bad coincidence or further proof you've now wasted more time with him.

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I take no joy in the fact that the Bills drafted a guy that played the worst half of football since the merger his first time out. I take no joy in the fact that he fumbled, took a grounding penalty and got picked in the playoff game. I take no joy in the fact that he completed less than half of his pass attempts to his guys and over 10% of them to the opponents. That doesn’t make any of us happy.

We want the Bills to do well. I really question anyone that wants him here actually? A long shot, 5th round QB, that lacks physical tools, that played like trash, isn’t the future of this team. He belongs on the trash. It’s not personal; it’s business.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The term hater is so damned juvenile as if there's some personal vendetta against a player who someone believes lacks the requisite skill set to succeed at the NFL level.  It's rather comical and pathetic. 

I have seen your posts in previous rtacks and you definitely do not trust the process the Bill's are trying to get the team better. The juvenile comments from 26 are out of lone but i expect them from your posts.

Edited by Wily Dog

2 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

To me,  the essence of the OP's question pertains to the wisdom of making decisions based on a small sample size.  

I think it's a valid question. 

We COULD look at his back shoulder TD throw to Benjamin, recognize that we never saw Tyrod make that throw, and extrapolate that to say Peterman may be the best bad weather QB ever. 

That would be a ridiculous extrapolation.  But so too might be tossing him over one half of bad football.  

This.

10 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

I have seen your posts in previous rtacks and you definitely do not trust the process the Bill's are trying to get the team better. The juvenile comments from 26 are out of lone but i expect them from your posts.

I actually trust McDermott quite a bit (and I took a wait and see approach). He has proven to me that he is a good coach. His team got to the playoffs despite being outscored by 3.5 point a game. That’s pretty good!! 

He has also shown that he will be willing to cut bait if it isn’t working. He just did it with Dennison. McDermott doesn’t owe Peterman anything and will judge him based on performance alone. That’s not a good thing for Nate. 

IMO, the Bills plan was NEVER for Peterman to be the future. That’s why they didn’t take him until their 2nd 5th round pick. He was a a guy that they hoped could be a smart, long-term option as a number 2. I thought it was the likely scenario personally. I was wrong. His physical limitations preclude that from happening. He was always smart and “pro-ready.” He wasn’t a raw project with a ton of upside. This isn’t like Cardale Jones or Paxton Lynch. If your greatest attribute is a small learning curve and you fail when given the chance that’s not encouraging. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

You and I differ. I want him gone. Money spent on a qb who can't run a pro offense is wasted money. I don't see Bradford getting a $20 M contract. As far as the Taylor dead money I rather eat it and move on. If you can't run a pro offense you shouldn't be a starter. I agree with you that Siemian is a serviceable backup. I would rather have him be the starter (short term) over Taylor. I can't tolerate watching such a primitive passing offense in a passing league. It's hideous to watch. 

I agree with you but you must be kidding about Siemian. He was demoted to 3rd string on a QB starved team last year.

2 minutes ago, yungmack said:

How's bout we give the kid a shot with a decent OC before sending him off to Tuel Land?

If a new coach is going to strengthen his arm and improve his accuracy I’m all for it. His limitations are physical, not mental.

1 minute ago, billykay said:

I agree with you but you must be kidding about Siemian. He was demoted to 3rd string on a QB starved team last year.

It’s a cost thing for me. If I am getting Baker or Rosen that are day 1 starters, I want a backup. I wouldn’t want the big investment. If you are getting a guy that isn’t a day 1 starter you need a bridge. I’d agree that guy has to be better than Siemian.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

1st Interception: Off receivers hands

2nd: Interception: Hit as he was throwing

3rd Interception: Hit as he was throwing

4th Interception: Poor decision, but had  lineman in his face

5th Interception: Terrible throw

When he had a clean pocket he was pretty effective.

Hi, I just thought I would mention that on the last throw, I think that was a miscommunication rather than just a terrible throw. I watched that play a bunch of times and to me it looks like Peterman lets the ball go, just as the receiver stops and turns. So to me it looks like Peterman didn't know the guy was going to stop and turn around.