Bills still making Bad Contract decisions

MAJBobby

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It would have been up to the team to make the effort to to go beyond the X-Rays after the stingers.  He continued to play the remainder of the season with no issues, so I don't think anything was amiss.

Isn't that what we are talking about?  The team not scratching their head wondering why the player wants a new contract 6 weeks into the season?   I think it will evolve that Wood and his agent may have fleeced Beane and Co.   If they indeed did not do a proper physical that stinks 

Edited by buffalostu2

1 minute ago, buffalostu2 said:

Isn't that what we are talking about?  The team not scratching their head wondering why the player wants a new contract 6 weeks into the season?   I think it will evolve that Wood and his agent may have fleeced Beane and Co for not waiting to do a proper physical 

You have this confused. The Bills decided to extend his contract as their kind of player under the Beane/McDermott regime. 

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It would have been up to the team to make the effort to to go beyond the X-Rays after the stingers.  He continued to play the remainder of the season with no issues, so I don't think anything was amiss.

looks like the contract was done in late August so probably nothing there.  If it were week 7 we might have an issue.

4 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

Isn't that what we are talking about?  The team not scratching their head wondering why the player wants a new contract 6 weeks into the season?   I think it will evolve that Wood and his agent may have fleeced Beane and Co.   If they indeed did not do a proper physical that stinks 

No. Not sure what you are referring to but he signed his extension before the season. He got a stinger in week 5.

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

This team has a history of making bad and player friendly contracts (Williams and Darues). I thought maybe they turned to corner with the way TT contracts have been handled. 

However, the Eric Wood extension comes. As much as I like Wood I didnt like the extension because of his age and fit with the offense type we were trying to build last year. However with his neck and retirement more issues come to mind. 

1.  How is a degenerative issue missed in the last couple exit physicals? (Doubt it was). 

2.  So if it wasnt how are you going to give guarantees in out years of a contract when essentially the players health at that point is year to year?

It wasn't an ongoing degenerative issue. It only happened this season, months after he already signed his contract extension.

Wood said he got the first stinger of his career in week 5 and then again in week 6 (October 15th). The team then did an x-ray and found nothing of concern. 

Then at the year end physical they did an MRI and that's when they found this issue. 

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I'm not going to argue that the Bills didn't/don't need an upgrade at center because I agree that they have needed that for a while.   I have been arguing since last summer that the interior of the Bills OL needs upgrading and/or better depth because of age and talent level not to mention how frequently OLers get hurt, as Glenn has shown. 

That Wood was never as good a center as Glenn was a left tackle doesn't mean he wasn't worth extending.   There may have not been any better options either on the team or available on the FA market.   His deal might very well be the going rate for a starting NFL. 

My argument is simply that complaining that Wood's contract was "bad" because of his injury is nothing more than hindsight. 

While Wood may or may not have been a top 10 center he was just about always in the top 12.  At that point how much effort do you put in chasing down a replacement when you have at a minimum a half dozen other problem areas including RT?  As league GM's point out good centers are hard to come by and it's not unusual for a draft not to have anything more than backup up quality or swing guys who can play center.  Look at how Atlanta improved when they wrestled away Alex Mack from Cleveland.  Some could rightfully argue Mack never planned on going back to the Browns but he was a very valuable free agent to Atlanta and other teams nonetheless.

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There was no good reason to extend his contract.

I thought that at the time too.  But, it isn't the worst thing.  Our cap is fine.  Wood got some money.  Wood retires and can still walk and talk..

But, ya, was confused at the time of the contract.  It seemed premature.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

While Wood may or may not have been a top 10 center he was just about always in the top 12.  At that point how much effort do you put in chasing down a replacement when you have at a minimum a half dozen other problem areas including RT?  As league GM's point out good centers are hard to come by and it's not unusual for a draft not to have anything more than backup up quality or swing guys who can play center.  Look at how Atlanta improved when they wrestled away Alex Mack from Cleveland.  Some could rightfully argue Mack never planned on going back to the Browns but he was a very valuable free agent to Atlanta and other teams nonetheless.

I agree completely.   My complaint with the Bills is that they spend so much draft capital replacing the young vets that they let walk that they don't have enough left to draft and develop young talent in hard to fill positions like OL or QB.  I'm not going to complain about the Bills extending solid veterans since that's an improvement over how they've operated in the past.

4 hours ago, Yav said:

Wow, only a Bills fan would spin this into something more. 

Dude's career just ended and yet here we are with a thread crying about his contract. SMH.

Welcome to Football. Now add the fiasco that was the presser. Something else going on here

24 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Well that settles the issue of any shenanigans. 

"Hey Farva, what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy @#$& on the wall and the mozzarella sticks?"

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Obviously you missed the point.  The OP posted as if to say that the Bills are the only team to hand out bad contracts (again, as if they should be able to predict the future, that 20/20 hindsight thing you hate hearing) and the next poster made a dumb post about how the Cheaters don't do this.  No one said it's "just fine."  It's the cost of doing business for any team, and especially for a small/unattractive market like Buffalo.

No I posted exactly what i said. They continuento hand out Bad contracts. Player friendly contracts with NO protections for the team on an aging player. 

2 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

Too soon Maj...

The guy played every snap he could for Buffalo. Im sure he expected to play out his contract too.

This is not a Ricky Williams type situation where a football player retires to smoke up and have coke and hooker parties with Mary McFly and the Ryan Bros.

Agree on cutting down on player friendly contracts but this one is an anamoly considering the iniury and its severity to basic human life.

Too soon. Its Monday. Notice how i gave the weekend. So i left it alone just another poorly written contract by the groups that have lasted regime after regime change 

2 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

The team knew they would be dealing with a lot of dead cap space in 2018 and that there would be a lot of new players in 2017.  As a result keeping a pillar around, who was also a good player was important. Wood's hit was mostly going to come into play in 2018 and for 2019 he could be cut with minor cap implications. Until the injury those factors make his extension a logical choice, turn over the roster now with a few leaders kept around for continuity and work towards a wide open cap in 2019 when the previous regime's choices are done hurting us. 

Would all make sense if there was INJ protections on said extension. There wasnt. Ooo and past regime???  They are still writing same contracts because that guy is still here 

30 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

MAJbooby still making bad threads.

Yeah thats true. Let me call it a SMART decision and a great contract to give a older football player that has INJ issues and is just coming off IR a big INJ guarantee in Year 2 of the contract. 

What a BRILLIANT idea 

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I agree completely.   My complaint with the Bills is that they spend so much draft capital replacing the young vets that they let walk that they don't have enough left to draft and develop young talent in hard to fill positions like OL or QB.  I'm not going to complain about the Bills extending solid veterans since that's an improvement over how they've operated in the past.

On the flip side, you can't dole out $13M/year to guys like Gilmore and expect to remain competitive.  You have to know which players to let walk and yes, replace them in the draft or FA.

28 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No I posted exactly what i said. They continuento hand out Bad contracts. Player friendly contracts with NO protections for the team on an aging player. 

They extended him prior to knowing about any injury.  That's just bad luck.  And we'll see where this shakes out.  Again I doubt he sees both the $4.3M remaining in unamortized SB and the $4.8M salary guarantee for 2018.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

On the flip side, you can't dole out $13M/year to guys like Gilmore and expect to remain competitive.  You have to know which players to let walk and yes, replace them in the draft or FA.

They extended him prior to knowing about any injury.  That's just bad luck.  And we'll see where this shakes out.  Again I doubt he sees both the $4.3M remaining in unamortized SB and the $4.8M salary guarantee for 2018.

Thats what the contract is. He keeps signing bonus and cant touch the INJ guarantee. Smart for Front Office to write that extension for a player coming off IR.