State of the Union 2018

B-Man

This kills me. These people think they are better than the immigrants. (Spit) Where is the job growth in this nation? It's in the blue sections of the country. Those f'n coal people should go get jobs 

Every few years I try to write this moderate column. And every few years I fail. That’s because when you wade into the evidence you find that the case for restricting immigration is pathetically weak. The only people who have less actual data on their side are the people who deny climate change.

You don’t have to rely on pointy-headed academics. Get in your car. If you start in rural New England and drive down into Appalachia or across into the Upper Midwest you will be driving through county after county with few immigrants. These rural places are often 95 percent white. These places lack the diversity restrictionists say is straining the social fabric.

Are these counties marked by high social cohesion, economic dynamism, surging wages and healthy family values? No. Quite the opposite. They are often marked by economic stagnation, social isolation, family breakdown and high opioid addiction. Charles Murray wrote a whole book, “Coming Apart,” on the social breakdown among working-class whites, many of whom live in these low immigrant areas.

One of Murray’s points is that “the feasibility of the American project has historically been based on industriousness, honesty, marriage and religiosity.” It is a blunt fact of life that, these days, immigrants show more of these virtues than the native-born. It’s not genetic. The process of immigration demands and nurtures these virtues.

Over all, America is suffering from a loss of dynamism. New business formation is down. Interstate mobility is down. Americans switch jobs less frequently and more Americans go through the day without ever leaving the house.

But these trends are largely within the native population. Immigrants provide the antidote.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/opinion/east-germany-immigration-usa.html

47 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Why are you so hard on your West Virginia relatives? They screw your sister? You're from there and show them zero compassion. You should look back on your early years with fondness.

image.png.cfa719d8c1e8334ccc4218e8dec13206.png

58 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Tell that to the butt ass poor West Virginians and how Trump (the government) is going to bring back coal jobs. And get rid of the working people that are immigrants and stop free trade for them. 

I know plenty of West Virginians who have nice houses, 2 cars in the driveway and live 5 minutes from Tj Maxx and Texas Roadhouse just like everyone else in the world.  

Just now, Commonsense said:

I have seen this mentioned a few times on here, fill me in. Just guessing that the ultimate distraction would be something terrible happening on Sunday? 

There is a need now, more than perhaps any other moment in this century, for a major distraction. A lot of very heavy hitters are sweating bullets right now about what's going to break. Not just from the memo, but from the IG report which is coming on its heels. 

The security company at the super bowl was switched up (strangely enough) in September:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/09/26/us-bank-stadium-security/

And they hired G4s as a replacement. G4S is a private military contractor (and security firm) with CIA ties. They are a MASSIVE company with a motto that's something like "Jobs too dirty for the CIA".

The Pulse Night Club shooter was G4S. 

The Vegas shooter and his brother have (alleged) ties to G4S.

Not saying that's proof of anything (it's proof of nothing), but if there is anything to the theory I've been railing on for over a year now, G4S is the type of group who would be up to no good for the purposes of distraction and fomenting terror.

http://www.startribune.com/security-firm-at-u-s-bank-stadium-is-fired/447991883/

http://www.g4s.us/

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

There is a need now, more than perhaps any other moment in this century, for a major distraction. A lot of very heavy hitters are sweating bullets right now about what's going to break. Not just from the memo, but from the IG report which is coming on its heels. 

The security company at the super bowl was switched up (strangely enough) in September:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/09/26/us-bank-stadium-security/

And they hired G4s as a replacement. G4S is a private military contractor (and security firm) with CIA ties. They are a MASSIVE company with a motto that's something like "Jobs too dirty for the CIA".

The Pulse Night Club shooter was G4S. 

The Vegas shooter and his brother have (alleged) ties to G4S.

Not saying that's proof of anything (it's proof of nothing), but if there is anything to the theory I've been railing on for over a year now, G4S is the type of group who would be up to no good for the purposes of distraction and fomenting terror.

http://www.startribune.com/security-firm-at-u-s-bank-stadium-is-fired/447991883/

http://www.g4s.us/

Jeez that would be !@#$ing horrible. Thanks for the reply.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Magox said:

What Trump supported and omitted:

Supports paid family leave

Supports True amnesty for 1.8 million people

Supports massive infrastructure spending

No focus on US debt

Also agrees with Obama that Russia is not US's top geopolitical threat

No mention of entitlement reform

Sounds like a Democrats wet dream for a Republican partner to have.

But it's Trump.  And the Democrats don't care about truly getting things done even if they have a willing partner.

The failure of Trump to mention debt bothers me a lot. 

15 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I have seen this mentioned a few times on here, fill me in. Just guessing that the ultimate distraction would be something terrible happening on Sunday? 

Scenario 1. The Iggles win and Philly fans burn the town to the ground starting at Pat's and Gino's. 

Scenario 2. The Pats*** win on a technicality and millions in the lower 48 states burn their TVs in public bonfires.

Scenario 3. What D R said... a false flag distraction.

Personally, I'm pulling for Scenario 1. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

This kills me. These people think they are better than the immigrants. (Spit) Where is the job growth in this nation? It's in the blue sections of the country. Those f'n coal people should go get jobs 

Once again what you cite ignores that we have a legal immigration process that allows 1 million a year into this country, far more than any other nation on earth.  It also ignores that many who live in rural America or smaller towns are there because they want to be there and enjoy that style and cost of living.