Buffalo Bills 2018 draft picks and value

Estro

There has been plenty of talk about the Bills trading up and trading down in the 2018 NFL Draft.  It's that time of year, where the intrigue and speculation  of what teams might be thinking come draft day.  The excitement this year is ramped up even more with the multiple 1st & 2nd round picks.  I thought it'd be helpful to run down the full list of the Bills draft picks and the value each one holds according to multiple draft charts.  This way as a fan when you're envisioning different trade up or trade down scenarios you can have an idea of what it'll take to execute those trades.  The first value listed is from the infamous Jimmy Johnson trade value chart, the second one is a more updated version since the last CBA which may be a bit more accurate:

#21 (800, 260.8)

#22 (780, 252.7)

#53 (370, 106.3)

#56 (340, 98.3)

#95 (120, 40.3)

I'll fill in the 4th round and later picks after compensatory picks have been handed out.

For the record I'm all for flipping one of those 1st round picks for a 2018 2nd & 3rd plus a mid round 2019 draft pick.  My dream scenario is heading into day 2 of the NFL draft with three 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks.  You can find a lot of talent in that area

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Estro said:

There has been plenty of talk about the Bills trading up and trading down in the 2018 NFL Draft.  It's that time of year, where the intrigue and speculation  of what teams might be thinking come draft day.  The excitement this year is ramped up even more with the multiple 1st & 2nd round picks.  I thought it'd be helpful to run down the full list of the Bills draft picks and the value each one holds according to multiple draft charts.  This way as a fan when you're envisioning different trade up or trade down scenarios you can have an idea of what it'll take to execute those trades.  The first value listed is from the infamous Jimmy Johnson trade value chart, the second one is a more updated version since the last CBA which may be a bit more accurate:

#21 (800, 260.8)

#22 (780, 252.7)

#53 (370, 106.3)

#56 (340, 98.3)

#95 (120, 40.3)

I'll fill in the 4th round and later picks after compensatory picks have been handed out.

For the record I'm all for flipping one of those 1st round picks for a 2018 2nd & 3rd plus a mid round 2019 draft pick.  My dream scenario is heading into day 2 of the NFL draft with three 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks.  You can find a lot of talent in that area

I’ll take the better odds.. stay at 21,22 and pick 

Agreed - if you can get a little aggressive and creative, you can trade down multiple times and end up with 1 first, 3-4 seconds and 2-3 thirds and maybe even a pick or two next year. Once you start amassing multiple picks in the first 3 rounds you have great flexibility. 

The top 100 players are dissected, poked and prodded, and so thoroughly reviewed and still about 1/2 of the first rounders don't make it. So it really becomes a numbers-driven process - the more picks you have in the top 100 the higher the probability that you will land guys that can play in the NFL. So if I am a GM, I would trade down and get 7-10 picks in the first 3 rounds. If you can hit on 50% you get 4-5 contributors per season. That will lead to a solid, deep roster and once you start amassing extra picks it's easy to get extra ones every year.

1 hour ago, Estro said:

This x1000, especially if they hit on another late second round pick like Dawkins.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Here is a nice interactive chart from Drafttek:

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=Buf

And here is a chart showing the total value of total draft picks for all teams:

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/power_rankings

The Bills rank 6th.

Wow, amazing how high we jumped in point value with the 1st round 22nd selection that's our own.  

I'm a big fan of trading down. Year in, year out you see good teams hitting big on talent at the bottom of the round, we did it last year with Tre. Obviously having a talented FO and high draft choices is the best case scenario, but a talented FO with multiple mid round, bottom round picks can do some serious damage. Some of the best things I've ever owned in life were really cheap purchases. More expensive does not always equal better quality, got to sift through the junk and find the hidden gems.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

According to the new chart the Bills can get to 4 (based on value) for 21 & 22 and still likely get a 5th. You’d pay a slight premium which is what you do to get up. This would only be on the table if only 1 QB went in the 1st 3 picks. 

Sweet !

1. QB Sam Darnold (trade 21+22)

2. TE Mike Gesicki

2. OT Connor Williams

3. LB Leighton Vander Esch

4. RB  Rashaad Penny

5. OC Bradley Bozeman

5. WR DaeSean Hamilton

5. DT DuVanta Lampkin.

Didn't get any pass rushers ,have get one in free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

I am not against trading down.... but I don't think this is exactly the deepest class in history. I still have a lot of work to do on some of the non QB positions but beyond QB where there is some depth and Linebacker that looks deep I am not sure where the strengths of this draft are:

WRs - I don't see a great class, not sure how many bona fide 1st rounders and fewer genuine top 3 round talents.

OL - stronger class than last year especially at the top end but not sure about depth.

RBs - good class.

TE - poor class in terms of finding that do it all tight end who can block and catch passes. 

DL - solid interior depth.... edge gets shallow quite quickly.

LB - one of the strengths of this class. A good group with some top end talent. 

DBs - not a great group at all.