The Giants and the #2 pick

Any deal that requires the Bills to surrender a 1st or 2nd Round pick in 2019 is a terrible one. Bills will need all their picks again next year as roster overhaul continues and hopefully starts to round down more into maintenance than total dissolution. 

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s why I think it’s short sighted to pass on a QB at 2. They will get one of the top 2 QBs without giving up a thing. Even if Eli can be resurrected for a year or two why not develop one of these super talented kids behind him? I think he would be a decent mentor. It’s also possible Eli sucks again and they turn to the rookie. But i think they risk winning like 6 or 7 games next year and then stuck drafting too late to get a top QB. Just do it.  Jmo.

Absolutely.  The Giants aren't anywhere near as bad as they played this season.  They are not going to be the Browns or Rams and have a top 5 pick every year for a decade.

26 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Absolutely.  The Giants aren't anywhere near as bad as they played this season.  They are not going to be the Browns or Rams and have a top 5 pick every year for a decade.

I mean they are being handed Eli’s successor on a silver platter. It’s almost like the Peyton/Luck situation but Eli has a couple years (of mediocrity) left and these two might need a bit of seasoning. Didn’t Rosen even say he wanted to play for the NYG? If they take a RB I would be livid if I’m a giants fan. 

49 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I mean they are being handed Eli’s successor on a silver platter. It’s almost like the Peyton/Luck situation but Eli has a couple years (of mediocrity) left and these two might need a bit of seasoning. Didn’t Rosen even say he wanted to play for the NYG? If they take a RB I would be livid if I’m a giants fan. 

NYG has to consider a QB very seriously for the points you guys make.

If they were smart they will do just that.

That leaves the Colts at 3.

Colts defense points against is one of the worse.  It would be hard not to take Chubb.

Barkley would be a pick too.

I don't think the Colts trade down.  They have their choice of the best non-QB in the draft.

Imagine TSW threads if the Bills needed those players and we traded down to 21 and 22!!!!!!!

12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

You make some good points in this thread,  but it really comes down to the Giants' own evaluation of the qbs. My relatively thin knowledge of Gettleman (hardass) suggests to me that he might be one of those GMs who simply doesn't like Rosen.

Edited by dave mcbride

On 1/26/2018 at 3:44 PM, KD in CA said:

Given their once in a generation draft slot, they'd have to be really sure Eli can and wants to play 3 more years to pass on a QB.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread: Davis Webb. I loved him coming out of Cal (reminded me a little of Aaron Rodgers when he was there, truth be told), and I felt he was seriously under-drafted (3rd round).  I think that's partly because he only played one season at Cal after transferring from Texas Tech: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/davis-webb-1.html.

Re: the Giants enthusiasm about him: https://nypost.com/2017/12/13/giants-rave-about-davis-webbs-wow-factor-now-let-him-play/.

I think there's a pretty solid chance that they see Webb is their QB of the future.

Edited by dave mcbride

On 1/26/2018 at 12:03 PM, dave mcbride said:

There's a decent amount of chatter here in NYC that Barkley is truly the guy the Giants want. At first, I thought that'd be crazy because they need a future qb, but then I thought about it a little. Eli really isn't that bad at all at present, and physically, he hasn't declined as far as I can tell (I see a lot of Giants games). Last season they had a horrible running game (and a bad stable of RBs), a bad o-line, and a hurt OBJ. OBJ will be back next season and presumably fine, they are going to target o-line in FA, and Barkley really is that good. What separates him from the typical talented RB (e.g., AP) is that he has Leveon Bell and Shady-like ability in the passing game. He's a massive asset to a passing game, and don't think that what Kamara did for the Saints offense this season has gone unnoticed.  And by most of the accounts I've seen, Barkley is the highest rated player in the entire draft.  In the right situation, Manning can easily be a 30-TD passer for the next couple of years. The talent is there on defense, and they are the one team in the league that I think has the capability to turn around their fortunes on a dime. They are and always have been a good organization. 

My larger point is that the #2, #3 and #4 will not be QBs (assuming the Browns take a qb at #1). Trades will be available. The one wild card is that I could see the Browns taking Barkley at #1 and then taking a qb at #4.

They would be nuts to pass up on Josh Rosen imo, they don't even have to trade up for a QB, they can select him and never look back. I don't even think it's an after thought to be honest but there is always smoke and mirrors leading up to the draft.

43 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

They would be nuts to pass up on Josh Rosen imo, they don't even have to trade up for a QB, they can select him and never look back. I don't even think it's an after thought to be honest but there is always smoke and mirrors leading up to the draft.

See my post above about Davis Webb.

On 1/26/2018 at 9:03 AM, dave mcbride said:

There's a decent amount of chatter here in NYC that Barkley is truly the guy the Giants want. At first, I thought that'd be crazy because they need a future qb, but then I thought about it a little. Eli really isn't that bad at all at present, and physically, he hasn't declined as far as I can tell (I see a lot of Giants games). Last season they had a horrible running game (and a bad stable of RBs), a bad o-line, and a hurt OBJ. OBJ will be back next season and presumably fine, they are going to target o-line in FA, and Barkley really is that good. What separates him from the typical talented RB (e.g., AP) is that he has Leveon Bell and Shady-like ability in the passing game. He's a massive asset to a passing game, and don't think that what Kamara did for the Saints offense this season has gone unnoticed.  And by most of the accounts I've seen, Barkley is the highest rated player in the entire draft.  In the right situation, Manning can easily be a 30-TD passer for the next couple of years. The talent is there on defense, and they are the one team in the league that I think has the capability to turn around their fortunes on a dime. They are and always have been a good organization. 

My larger point is that the #2, #3 and #4 will not be QBs (assuming the Browns take a qb at #1). Trades will be available. The one wild card is that I could see the Browns taking Barkley at #1 and then taking a qb at #4.

I've also heard similar chatter, but my long island source who is entrenched in all things Jets and Giants say there is no way either of those teams pass on Rosen, Darnold, etc depending on whose available. And even though the Giants apparently plan on bringing Eli Manning back next year they would still want his replacement locked down.

Barkley is no doubt a special talent but I still have serious reservations about taking a RB in the top 5, or even first round for that matter nowadays.

5 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I've also heard similar chatter, but my long island source who is entrenched in all things Jets and Giants say there is no way either of those teams pass on Rosen, Darnold, etc depending on whose available. And even though the Giants apparently plan on bringing Eli Manning back next year they would still want his replacement locked down.

Barkley is no doubt a special talent but I still have serious reservations about taking a RB in the top 5, or even first round for that matter nowadays.

you don't have any sources

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, the Giants were so enthused about Webb that they gave Geno Smith the start in week 13 over Webb.  It would be dumb for them to pass up a QB at 2, but hey, it is what it is.

That's not why they didn't start Webb. They are committed to developing him and not throwing him to the wolves in a bad situation. That's my understanding, at least. 

On 1/26/2018 at 12:33 PM, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I’m a huge draft a qb guy.

but I don’t understand the need for the Giants to do it now.  If Schumer gets Eli going and with a healthy Beckham...Eli could go for 3-5 more seasons.

seems too eRly to pull the plug on Eli.

Probably because Eli is really inconsistent and can be downright awful at times.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

That's not why they didn't start Webb. They are committed to developing him and not throwing him to the wolves in a bad situation. That's my understanding, at least. 

The Giants were 2-9 at the time and their season was over.  Webb had 7 months to learn the playbook and practice with the team.  They were coming off a TNF game and had 10 days to prepare for the game.  They would not in any way have been throwing him to the wolves. 

You're not the only one I've heard say that they've heard the Giants are high on Webb.  I just don't believe it because of the above and because you can't believe anything a team says prior to the draft.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:10 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

I lean this way as well. It makes sense to draft the best position player, then take whichever QB is left at 4. They are probably going to pick the wrong guy anyway, so maybe they should let fate choose? 

Agreed..........chances are that if there is a bad pick coming up, the Browns will do it.

You can always count on those pesky Browns to do the opposite of whatever common sense tells them.

On 26/01/2018 at 1:06 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not with Dorsey, Wolf, and Highsmith on board making smart football decisions.  New day, new way for the Browns. 

How people don't understand this is beyond me. The ONLY chance that the Browns mess this up is if some homeless guy tells Haslim to pick Mason Rudolph #1.

Of course if that happens I suspect Dorsey and Wolf will duct tape him and toss him in a closet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/26/2018 at 12:03 PM, dave mcbride said:

Please Let The Giants Take Barkely, this would be stupid on their part but I'm all for it :thumbsup:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Giants were 2-9 at the time and their season was over.  Webb had 7 months to learn the playbook and practice with the team.  They were coming off a TNF game and had 10 days to prepare for the game.  They would not in any way have been throwing him to the wolves. 

You're not the only one I've heard say that they've heard the Giants are high on Webb.  I just don't believe it because of the above and because you can't believe anything a team says prior to the draft.

I believe it because I watched Webb play in college. I think he's potentially really good.  But of course we'll see. I'm hardly an expert. 

Edited by dave mcbride