Eric Wood has career-ending neck injury; will retire

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, GG said:

It would depend how the salary guarantee is structured.  If it's an insurance payout then it probably doesn't count against the cap. 

But if the Bills agreed to fully guarantee the 2018 salary against injury for a 30+ vet AND paid him a $6.5 million bonus, then it's a gross mismanagement of the cap.   

The only qualification would be that in exchange for agreeing to guarantee 2018, Bills have the right to claw back the unearned bonus, so they'll be cap neutral in 2018.

Ultimately none of it matters that much. The Bills have plenty of space and can easily make more. Nothing they did is "gross mismanagement" of the cap. So get off your soap box.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Ultimately none of it matters that much. The Bills have plenty of space and can easily make more. Nothing they did is "gross mismanagement" of the cap. So get off your soap box.

Managing a team's salary cap has nothing to do with feeling bad about Wood's injury.  

Careful that you don't slip off your soap box with that wet argument.

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Bills have very little cap space. Already have like 14 million in dead money from Dareus. 

The more reports that come the more angry I get. Someone has some explaining to do. 

57 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting....Graham claims Wood was retiring regardless........

Bills C Eric Wood is retiring from the NFL after nine seasons.

A neck injury is partly to blame for Wood calling it quits, though the Buffalo News' Tim Graham reports Wood was going to hang the cleats up regardless. Wood was the 28th overall pick in the 2009 draft and spent all nine of his seasons in Buffalo, making the playoffs for the first time this past season. He made 120 career starts and was a one-time Pro Bowl selection in 2015. It's a big loss from a leadership standpoint as well. Ryan Groy makes sense as a replacement.

Jan 26 - 11:43 AM

So Wood just stole close to 5 million and left us with 10 million dead cap? 

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting....Graham claims Wood was retiring regardless........

Bills C Eric Wood is retiring from the NFL after nine seasons.

A neck injury is partly to blame for Wood calling it quits, though the Buffalo News' Tim Graham reports Wood was going to hang the cleats up regardless. Wood was the 28th overall pick in the 2009 draft and spent all nine of his seasons in Buffalo, making the playoffs for the first time this past season. He made 120 career starts and was a one-time Pro Bowl selection in 2015. It's a big loss from a leadership standpoint as well. Ryan Groy makes sense as a replacement.

Jan 26 - 11:43 AM

I say that too/   I think Tim may have gone off the reservation again 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

If it was just a cumulative thing, it makes me wonder about the Bills doctors.... did they just miss this? Or was Wood hiding symptoms? Or just toughing it out (which seems kinda dangerous if the dr's knew about this)? Or was some hit he took in that playoff game the thing that pushed it over the edge? 

Ill be interested to hear more details on this. 

I just hope E. Wood can live a normal, healthy life. 

I saw tweets that his neck was aggravated in the Jax game 

4 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

The Bills have very little cap space. Already have like 14 million in dead money from Dareus. 

The more reports that come the more angry I get. Someone has some explaining to do. 

So Wood just stole close to 5 million and left us with 10 million dead cap? 

Just stole?  WTF is wrong with you?  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

I say that too/   I think Tim may have gone off the reservation again 

That isn’t exactly what graham said. He said that he waited to announce it because he wanted to see if he was able to go to the pro bowl as an alternate and play one more time. But was going to retire regardless once he found out the news.. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

33 minutes ago, Tcali said:

nate odomes,ron mcdole,cornelius bennett,bobby chandler,ted washington,jerry butler,ben williams,joe cribbs,reggie Mckenzie,fred jackson,jim braxton......

Little moe with the gimpy leg.  Cheeks, boney Bob, Cliff.

I could go on forever baby!

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

According to Graham he was retiring no matter what. He signed that contract with the guarantee money knowing he wasn't going to play

No, that is not what Graham said. Please read what he wrote. He said he held off on the announcement in case he got the pro bowl call if pouncey or Hudson couldn’t go. But he was retiring regardless (of that). You do realize that he was just told that he isn’t cleared to play football anymore, right? He even said right after the Jax game on his radio segment that he wasn’t considering retirement anytime soon.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1