Jim Kelly on Josh Rosen not wanting to play for Browns: “I get it”

YoloinOhio

The problem is - the NFL is a monopoly.  If you want to play QB in the US and get paid like the NFL, they are your only option.  There is no plan B.  The USFL was that for a short while, and the XFL less so.

Players coming out of college have no choice in who they get to play for.  The draft is in place in hopes of maintaining at least a small degree of competitiveness.  If every player got to choose the team - you'd have many teams who would end up folding because they would never have talented players.  With Transition tags - the NFL has given teams even more power once a rookie contract is up for a team to continue to hold power over a player's 'rights' from other teams signing them.

As a follower of a team like Buffalo - this is a good thing.  Imagine a world where the elite players all wanted to play for big name/big market teams.  By also having "rounds" of a draft - players also get a slotted salary - again helpful for the team - but not the player.

In short - if you are a college FB player who is good enough to play at the NFL level, you are screwed.  You have to play football for free in college (yeah, you may get a degree out of it) and then you have to play for the team who wants you based on how much they want to pay you.  Maybe they could create some sort of buyout clause for players drafted in the first round to allow them to move to a team which didn't have a chance to draft them (e.g. the team they wanted picked after the place they were drafted) - where the drafting team gets compensated somehow.  Even that seems unfair to competitive balance, but the player would still have to find a dance partner willing to pay the cost.

43 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Musta been nice to get a bidding war from a renegade league coming out of college.

I believe we're only supposed to mention the four AFC Championships whilst talking about Jim Kelly.  Not a-hole quotes like, "Would you rather be in Houston, or in Buffalo?"

• Like (+1) 1

For awhile we had renegade leagues making egregious offers to draftable athletes in hockey and hoops and football (football a few times)

the ABA scooped up probably the most useful talent of the 3 sports, but paychecks were never guaranteed.

Making Kelly the highest paid player in the league went a long way towards salving the wound of having to play in Buffalo. He could have sat a year and re-entered the draft after the USFL folded but not even Jimbo was that stupid at the time.

While I still don't like that JK didn't want to play in Buffalo I admire that he has never run from what he said or tried to make excuses.  He has acted like a man about it.  He has also embraced the city of Buffalo like no other athlete I can think of and not only made it his home but has promoted it everywhere he has gone.

• Like (+1) 4

The players aren't 'screwed'. They know how they're chosen field works from the time they're in elementary school!! People who join the Navy are pretty aware there's going be WATER! People who go to medical school pretty much know there's bound to be SICK PEOPLE!  

12 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

...but he certainly did run from all the people he owed money to after his downtown restaurant failed. ;)  

Could be I don't know about that story.  He does seem, even by his own admission, a more humble and thoughtful man than he has been in the past.  

49 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m glad Jim weighed in on this topic.... I’m sure Rosen was wondering what he thought. 

It is interesting I thought the same thing to myself, why even get into this.

Just now, HT02 said:

Could be I don't know about that story.  He does seem, even by his own admission, a more humble and thoughtful man than he has been in the past.  

Jim is a tale of two cities. Pre Hunter and Once Hunter was born changed the guy big time. I have family who knew him before and after are remarked how he was an arrogant prick who went after any women, but after Hunter he shaped up and matured big time to become a good man. Good for him IMO we all have our warts in the past.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

Jim is a tale of two cities. Pre Hunter and Once Hunter was born changed the guy big time. I have family who knew him before and after are remarked how he was an arrogant prick who went after any women, but after Hunter he shaped up and matured big time to become a good man. Good for him IMO we all have our warts in the past.

The entire story is laid out in the ESPN 30 for 30 episode. Really amazing transformation.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Yeah that started the change, his wife Jill openly talked about his womanizing in her book and I have heard him speak and he owns up to a lot of his past.  I really admire his humility.

54 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

It is only the fault of media morons who keep giving Kelly a platform for whatever he wants to chime in on.

Amen to this.  I'm so sick of Kelly and Thurman chiming in EVERY OFF SEASON about everything.  For God's sake, who gives a flying !@#$ what you think??

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Amen to this.  I'm so sick of Kelly and Thurman chiming in EVERY OFF SEASON about everything.  For God's sake, who gives a flying !@#$ what you think??

they are fine to talk, not like they killed anyone or anything like that

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HT02 said:

Yeah that started the change, his wife Jill openly talked about his womanizing in her book and I have heard him speak and he owns up to a lot of his past.  I really admire his humility.

Agreed wish more people had that trait.

• Like (+1) 1