2018 Season Tickets

4_kidd_4

7 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Got my renewal, prices went up 2% for my club seats. 

I realize it’s not my money, but 2% annually for almost anything these days seems reasonable.

NOW, when that new stadium goes up east of town, there will be some serious sticker shock. I hope you’ve invested heavily in land out east to quell the financial pain.   :)

Renewed this morning. The hell else am I going to do with my fall/winter Sundays?

The variety of interest free options is nice. 

I also noticed from my email that I have a new account rep, even though my former rep is still there (per the website).

@Kirby Jackson, you’ve been in the biz. Do people in ticket sales advance by moving to more premium sections?

19 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

Renewed this morning. The hell else am I going to do with my fall/winter Sundays?

The variety of interest free options is nice. 

I also noticed from my email that I have a new account rep, even though my former rep is still there (per the website).

@Kirby Jackson, you’ve been in the biz. Do people in ticket sales advance by moving to more premium sections?

Yeah, I would say so. Typically, the premium seating areas are broken out and are more experienced people. They have more benefits too. Also, in many places your bonuses are tied to your revenues. For example, a newer person may have a base of like $45k and has the ability to sell anything. Typically these are people right out of college and have more success selling lower priced inventory or smaller packages. Their commission may be $20k because of it and their renewal bonus based off they book may be another $20k. If you are in the premium areas your base is probably in the $70k range, your commission may be around $20k because you are selling less volume but higher revenue and your renewal bonus may be like $40k. Something like that feels reasonable. A lot depends on how good or bad you are. Our top young guys were in the $105K range and our top premium and/or sponsorship people would be in the $180k range.  Hope that answers it...

Funny aside story, the top sponsorship rep had his W-2 accidentally forward to the rest of the company when we had an IT failure. There are some people in events and game operations that were making like $35k. They see this email come through of a 29 year-old guy making more than 5X what they were. It wasn’t the best look for the company.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, I would say so. Typically, the premium seating areas are broken out and are more experienced people. They have more benefits too. Also, in many places your bonuses are tied to your revenues. For example, a newer person may have a base of like $45k and has the ability to sell anything. Typically these are people right out of college and have more success selling lower priced inventory or smaller packages. Their commission may be $20k because of it and their renewal bonus based off they book may be another $20k. If you are in the premium areas your base is probably in the $70k range, your commission may be around $20k because you are selling less volume but higher revenue and your renewal bonus may be like $40k. Something like that feels reasonable. A lot depends on how good or bad you are. Our top young guys were in the $105K range and our top premium and/or sponsorship people would be in the $180k range.  Hope that answers it...

Funny aside story, the top sponsorship rep had his W-2 accidentally forward to the rest of the company when we had an IT failure. There are some people in events and game operations that were making like $35k. They see this email come through of a 29 year-old guy making more than 5X what they were. It wasn’t the best look for the company.

Damn. Who knew event seating was a lucrative business venture.

8 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Damn. Who knew event seating was a lucrative business venture.

I don’t know what it is like elsewhere but that is a pretty standard look for the NBA (at least when I was there 5 years ago). It may be different too because I don’t think any other league’s have $100k pair of season tickets! They may be double that in New York or LA for the seats between the bench and scorers table. The revenue that we made on the floor seats (a few hundred) was more than the revenue for the entire balcony (roughly 8,000 seats in our arena) if memory serves me correctly.

One more example of this was how we’d account for things. The league gave us an edict (when they owned us) that we had to be over 10K season tickets before they’d sell the team. That is kind of the NBA benchmark. If a celebrity or anyone bought floors for a game (maybe they spent $4300 for 4 of them). I would comp the 4 tickets and use that money to buy 10 of the $10 season tickets. The league is pretty stupid (or turns a blind eye) to stuff like that. We were constantly moving and manipulating money to paint the picture a certain way.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know what it is like elsewhere but that is a pretty standard look for the NBA (at least when I was there 5 years ago). It may be different too because I don’t think any other league’s have $100k pair of season tickets! They may be double that in New York or LA for the seats between the bench and scorers table. The revenue that we made on the floor seats (a few hundred) was more than the revenue for the entire balcony (roughly 8,000 seats in our arena) if memory serves me correctly.

Are the costs for the expensive seats written off as business entertaining expenses by the rich beautiful people? 

Just now, JohnC said:

Are the costs for the expensive seats written off as business entertaining expenses by the rich beautiful people? 

They had been in a lot of cases. Ours weren’t filled with the rich beautiful people though. Ha ha, it was mostly oil and gas people and personal injury attorneys. One guy owned over $1m a year in tickets and another $500k in suites. Those were just his for family, employees, etc...

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If a celebrity or anyone bought floors for a game (maybe they spent $4300 for 4 of them). I would comp the 4 tickets and use that money to buy 10 of the $10 season tickets. The league is pretty stupid (or turns a blind eye) to stuff like that. We were constantly moving and manipulating money to paint the picture a certain way.

Did they know you did that? Like would you tell them here's some cheap seats you can have to donate to charities? 

5 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Did they know you did that? Like would you tell them here's some cheap seats you can have to donate to charities? 

Yes, we had a formalized “tickets for kids program.” It was really just a way to monetize comps and in some cases get a tax deduction. It was tricky though because the payment had to be made to our foundation and then the foundation would buy tickets. The accounting was all done through the ticketing system. I think that we needed cash or check to do it but don’t really remember the details.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...