Marcell Dareus: Going to Jaguars “changed my life”

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

Your argument might make sense except that we would have the same options that the Jags would have next year and would have made use of someone who is going to take up the third highest amount of cap space on the team (as of right now) even though he was traded to the Jags.

The cap ramifications of Dareus's contract are completely different for Bills vs Jags

Just now, Gordio said:

I will second this.  The strip clubs in Jacksonville sucked & the girls were horrid.  This was 11 years ago but apparently it still holds true from your comments.  I haven't been to a strip club up over the boarder in over 11 years either but the talent there was way better than down in Jacksonville.  Not even close. 

It was so bad, I've called a MANDATORY outing this week with my friends to some Atlanta strip clubs (the BEST IN THE WORLD) just to reset my mojo. Can't have that being my most recent club experience. It just isnt right.

Not only were the girls busted, they were the least ambitious group I've ever seen, and the entire atmosphere was weird and dead. We came in hot, ready to toss cash around, and were the only ones in the club doing so. Not a single girl came over to us, or anyone else for that matter. At one point I looked around the room and there wasnt a SINGLE GIRL out on the floor! I know the hustle, come on over and sit down and ask me to buy you a drink, and ask me what I do for a living so I can lie and then you can act impressed with my lie and we can get on with this whole thing! But NOOOoooOOooOOO! Nothing. Totally lame.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But the second-rate soft culture of losing that permeates every office at OBD is a major cause of the talent flame out we've seen over the years.

I know, failed to make playoffs again because the coaching staff and FO cuddled players around a losing culture.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

For the record I still hate his deal, mostly because Whaley/Overdorf didn't protect the Bills given Dareus history. But at the time it was a given we would have to overpay to keep him just like most internal/external FA's during the drought.

And despite the off the field antics and reports of him being lazy, he was a 3rd overall pick for a reason and still one of the best DT's in the NFL on paper given his talent and ability.

Who knows what his future holds in Jax but obviously he feels he's in a better situation there than Buffalo despite his love for his former teammates and city.

The deal and the lack of a clause mitigating the impact of suspensions is on the prior GM (and Overdorf).  Hindsight is what it is.

Nevertheless, notwithstanding the contract, I still disagree with the trade and its timing for the reasons why I have stated.

No matter what the Bills do, Dareus will be at least the third highest "paid" (cap space) Buffalo Bill in 2018 even though he will be playing elsewhere.  Depending on what the Bills do, Dareus may even end up being the highest or second highest "paid" Buffalo Bill.

Even if you are one of the accountants that love this trade, it clearly did not have to be made when it was made.  We could have had him play for the Bills this past year and next year and then decide whether to trade him.

Just now, GG said:

I know, failed to make playoffs again because the coaching staff and FO cuddled players around a losing culture.

You cherry picked one sentence of that post and twisted the context. For what?

I ALSO SAID McBeane seems to have this on track, and if anything, my statement refers to the PREVIOUS 6 years of coaching staffs and FOs.

That make you feel better?

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Happy for Dareus, but the fact that Beane got a 5th rounder for a guy with his troubled past on that contract was robbery.  

Unless the 5th rounder turns into another steal like Peterman than it's not robbery. In fact even if we land a good player with the 5th rounder you can argue it's still lopsided considering Dareus is a former 3rd overall pick still in his prime years.

I just have a sick feeling that MD is going to go on to have a great career in Jax and win multiple championships with St. Doug and Coughlin while the Bills might potentially flounder again.

Of course he loves it down there:

Warmer weather, go to more strip clubs, play a tiny bit of football where fans have zero expectations of him, make a ton of money for almost nothing.

Who wouldn't be happy with that?

Just now, SaviorPeterman said:

Unless the 5th rounder turns into another steal like Peterman than it's not robbery. In fact even if we land a good player with the 5th rounder you can argue it's still lopsided considering Dareus is a former 3rd overall pick still in his prime years.

I just have a sick feeling that MD is going to go on to have a great career in Jax and win multiple championships with St. Doug and Coughlin while the Bills might potentially flounder again.

LOL, you are a bot, correct?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GG said:

The cap ramifications of Dareus's contract are completely different for Bills vs Jags

Does he not take up (at least) the third highest amount of cap space for the Bills in 2018?

Could we have waited to trade him after next year?

Wouldn't we have the option to trade, cut, or re-negotiate his contract at the end of 2018? (These are the options to which I was referring).

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You cherry picked one sentence of that post and twisted the context. For what?

I ALSO SAID McBeane seems to have this on track, and if anything, my statement refers to the PREVIOUS 6 years of coaching staffs and FOs.

That make you feel better?

Could it be that you added that after the fact?

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It was so bad, I've called a MANDATORY outing this week with my friends to some Atlanta strip clubs (the BEST IN THE WORLD) just to reset my mojo. Can't have that being my most recent club experience. It just isnt right.

Not only were the girls busted, they were the least ambitious group I've ever seen, and the entire atmosphere was weird and dead. We came in hot, ready to toss cash around, and were the only ones in the club doing so. Not a single girl came over to us, or anyone else for that matter. At one point I looked around the room and there wasnt a SINGLE GIRL out on the floor! I know the hustle, come on over and sit down and ask me to buy you a drink, and ask me what I do for a living so I can lie and then you can act impressed with my lie and we can get on with this whole thing! But NOOOoooOOooOOO! Nothing. Totally lame.

Consider that a blessing in disguise. 

The girls were actually so ugly & out of shape when when we went in Jacksonville that two of the girls came buy to flirt with us(get us to go back & have lap dances) the one sat on my friends lap & we made up a story that we were in a high level business meeting & just wanted to be left alone & to come back later. 

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Does he not take up (at least) the third highest amount of cap space for the Bills in 2018?

Could we have waited to trade him after next year?

Wouldn't we have the option to trade, cut, or re-negotiate his contract at the end of 2018? (These are the options to which I was referring).

They needed to clear the deck ahead of FA signing period in March.   He was taking up way to much cap space for a space eating 50% rotational DT (which is also coincidentally his role on the Jags) 

10 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

This was my statement based on the facts (i.e. this regime dumping all the Whaley picks/contracts).

Also a source of my close to situation confirmed they wanted Dareus and Glenn specifically gone from day one because of their contracts, although Glenn became a secondary issue because he didn't have the 'baggage' Dareus did.

If Cordy can come back healthy and have a good pre season I really dont want the Bills to trade him.

2 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Where he was picked is irrelevant.  No team in their right mind would sign Dareus to a contract approaching even 30% of his current one.  Bills got out of that contract early and got a 5th rounder.  We still made playoffs and having Dareus on team wouldn't have made any difference last Sunday.  You think Belichik cares where guys were drafted when he cuts or signs players?

7 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

multiple championships? please. 

8 minutes ago, GG said:

Let's not kid ourselves.

We made the playoffs in large measure because:

1) A very late and questionable call against the Colts on the two point conversion;

2) A miracle play by Andy Dalton on 4th and 12 from the 49 yard line.

In 2017:

Our point differential was worse than in 2016.

Our offense was ranked worse than in 2016.

Our defense was ranked worse than in 2016.

I hope McBeane are very successful with the Bills, but let's not think that these guys walk on water or that we need to say "amen" every time the word "process" comes out of their mouths.

9 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

How could the Jags possibly win multiple championships when they have to go through the vaunted Miami Dolphins?

• Haha (+1) 1