Nate Clements...

R. Rich

He will most likely go the FA route as he must be aware he could really cash in. If he has another great year colour him gone. I think TD will make an attempt to sign him but if I was Nate's agent I would point out that his value would likely soar if he tested the FA market and therefore not play ball.

He also seems to be a risk taking personality (admittedly from the little info I have on him) so would put aside the risk of an injury ending his career and/or $ prospects.

Although I hope I am very wrong on this.

I could go either way on Clements. Of any player on the Bills who deserves top dollar, it's Clements.

But cornerbacks are just so expensive!! Are even the great ones worth it? Most rookie CB's can come into the NFL and start right away and play well. Maybe the best thing is to use our 2006 1st round pick on a corner and let Clements go. We've been known to do that before (e.g., Jeff Burris, Thomas Smith, Antowain Winfield). Then again, we've never had as talented a CB as Clements.

I think TD might be thinking the same thing--we do have other players to sign. Would we rather have Clements, or Fletcher, McGee and Sam Adams? If that's the decision that faces TD, it will be tough one.

I think TD might be thinking the same thing--we do have other players to sign. Would we rather have Clements, or Fletcher, McGee and Sam Adams? If that's the decision that faces TD, it will be tough one.

268548[/snapback]

True, but two years from now we may be asking ourselves how much do Fletcher and Adams have left in the tank, and will they be worth relatively large contracts as well?

A lot of that will depend on who we have backing them up, and whether or not those people are anywhere near taking over the job.

Also depends largely on if this Law rumor is true. If we sign Law, and he demonstrates the ability to get over this injury, that would probably mean the end of Clements here.

True, but two years from now we may be asking ourselves how much do Fletcher and Adams have left in the tank, and will they be worth relatively large contracts as well?

A lot of that will depend on who we have backing them up, and whether or not those people are anywhere near taking over the job.

Also depends largely on if this Law rumor is true. If we sign Law, and he demonstrates the ability to get over this injury, that would probably mean the end of Clements here.

268564[/snapback]

You have a good point there, Rubes. If that is the case, we should be looking at bringing in someone to fill in, if the choice is to let Fletcher go down the line. Personally, I don't think it's a big issue now, as Fletcher is still quite effective and seems to have a lot left in the tank. Two years from now? Who knows?

I gotta believe if Law comes here, it will be a 1 year deal. All it will do is provide the Bills some leverage with Nate, but in the end if Law recovers and is an adequate replacement to Nate, Law never seemed like the loyal type and will probably go to the highest bidder after. And I'd rather throw my money at a 26year old Clements than a 32 year old Law.

Its all comparative in this league. If he is the best CB on the market he will get paid regardless of how good he is (see Jennings). If the market is strong and there are alot of good CBs out there, his contract will suffer because of it.

I say we keep NC, and not just because its my screename :D

You have to pay something to get something, NC should be a top level productive CB for the forseeable future...so give him a 5 year deal and by the time the contract is over, he should, barring major injuries, still be very good.

If we don't keep Nate you can bet TD will get something of value for him.

268753[/snapback]

How? Are you going to frachise him and try to trade him? Even the transitional tag will be a big cap hit if he signs. That maneuver TD pulled with Peerless was brilliant and only worked because Atlanta played their hand too early.

If Nate is just interested in bucks, he'll walk. If he wants to play in Buffalo, he'll get a very reasonable deal from TD but probably not as much as another team would be willing to throw at him.

RTB

What are the chances that he won't be re-signed and will leave via free agency next year?  Do the Bills step up and work out a deal, like they did for Schobel?

268378[/snapback]

I've actually ALREADY gone through the three stages of disappointing personnel departure with regard to Nate.

Disbelief.....I can't believe he didn't taken less money to play for US

Outrage.....What's $5M difference to him?! Hope he likes losing, cause he is going to kill New England's salary cap.

Denial......Now, I'm thinking if we roll FS Troy Vincent over to Jabari Greers side a step or two, we'll be just fine.

:D