If Dennison is brought back will you still trust the process?

Klaista2k

Dennison  

111 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bills bring back Dennison will you still trust the process?

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, grb said:

But Romo didn't point out open receiver after open receiver.

You might want to go back and watch the game again to see how few were the times he did.....

He pointed out a couple times that game, the issue though is if you have access to All 22 on NFL.com you're going to see several of these EVERY GAME!!  That's the problem.  If you cash in on some of those the game is a different game and our record for the season is even different.  But it's EVERY game.  TT missed on a lot of plays.  He made some.  He missed a lot.  I was a fan.  Still am, but not for this offense.  He was too timid and looked for check downs way too much.

Honestly the offense is sad. I won't point fingers because I am no expert. I just wouldn't want to roll that out again. 

I am all in favor of whatever the answer is to get a more productive offence. 

I would really struggle with that decision. He obviously wasn't the first choice and to stick with him after this type of year with other guys on the market would be insane. Plus he's old. Let's say they turn it around and he decides to retire next year. Chudzinski, McCoy, Ken Dorsey...something like that.

If they wanted to keep Dennison around as a senior offensive assistant like they had with Chris Palmer a few years ago I'm cool with that. 

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

I will be in prove it mode.

I have no doubt that Dennison's passing offense would look better with a better quarterback .

I have doubts that he is capable of improving the running game at all.     And I don't think the improvements that may come in the passing game will be enough for the Bills offense to become dominant.

And dominance is the goal in my mind.    

I say set the bar higher and go get a someone with some newer, fresher ideas on how to run an offense.

You do realize they finished 6th in rushing this year right.

18 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

He pointed out a couple times that game, the issue though is if you have access to All 22 on NFL.com you're going to see several of these EVERY GAME!!  That's the problem.  If you cash in on some of those the game is a different game and our record for the season is even different.  But it's EVERY game.  TT missed on a lot of plays.  He made some.  He missed a lot.  I was a fan.  Still am, but not for this offense.  He was too timid and looked for check downs way too much.

Yep. A couple of times is pretty much what I remember too. Strange how "open receiver after open receiver" morphs into a couple of times. Here's something else I remember : Replay after replay after replay showing the Bills' receivers completely blanketed. I know Romo mentioned that a few times, thought I won't hazard a guess how many. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

You do realize they finished 6th in rushing this year right.

Bills had number one rushing attack last two years.  averaging 5.3 yards per carry last year.

This year - 4.1 yards per carry which places them #14.   That sir, is a major drop off.

And that is only after it improved substantially part way through the season once they started abandoning Dennison's stretch zone running and going back to inside and power running.

Dude sucks.    Roman and Lynn were both better.   Time for upgrade.

If Roman and Lynn weren't good enough for Buffalo, how in the hell can Dennison be?

Edited by PolishDave

Nate Hackett was the last OC every one wanted on a spike and he dialed up the play that sent Buffalo and their "offense" packing.  Can't evaluate an OC with a garbage can at QB.

"Fire Roman!"  

5 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

What in his past makes you believe this?

Dennison made key adjustments to the run game this year that saved our playoff hopes.

He CAN adjust and has demonstrated the ability.  Get an actual QB and we'll make beautiful music together.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Discuss 

yes

but I won't like it one bit.

Castillo even moreso

WRs Coach as well

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Most coaches (Rick Dennison included) are a product of the players they have on the field.

Dennison is a zone blocking guy, with offensive linemen that mostly fit a power blocking scheme.  His passing system is based on quick throws and anticipation, but his best quarterback holds the ball too long and likes leaving the pocket.

Yes.  This season would have gone MUCH better if Dennison would adapt the system to his players.  But in today's NFL, almost no coaches are willing to change their scheme to fit the talent.  It isn't going to happen either with Mike McCoy, Gary Kubiak, Rob Chudzinski (or any other replacement offensive coordinator) being talked about. 

Dennison isn't innovative or creative.  He isn't a genius that will outsmart the other sideline often.  But give him some zone blocking linemen and a good pocket passer, and this offense can improve dramatically.

So, Kind of a bridge OC ?

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

really this ^^^^

I can’t believe both will be back.

I will say this with some confidence.
Tyrod would have played better if Bills retained Lynn.

Dennison would have fared better with a traditional passer perhaps.

2 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Took him all friggin year to do it when it was obvious by game 2 his running schemes sucked.

And yet even as recent as yesterday in the Bills final game of the year, he was still calling his friggin stretch zone runs that resulted in Shady getting tackled for a loss in the backfield like it did so often the rest of the year.

Dude sucks.

He saw what Tyrod looked like as a pocket passer in the one preseason game that was a complete dumpster fire on offense.   It was an utter disaster.  So why would he keep trying  to do it in subsequent games?   In preseason they explained it as they were trying to make Tyrod do things he was uncomfortable with.    But then he did it to him in regular season games too.   Insanity.

Do we need a better QB?  Yes.    Do we need a better offensive coordinator?   Yes.

Fast forward a year from now and imagine what it is going to be like if the offense still sucks.   McDermott will then be on a very hot seat for keeping Dennison.    Probably better to upgrade that position right now if you can - especially if you intend to bring in a new QB.    Unless of course you are going to bring in a vet as your new starter and that vet is already comfortable and proven to execute Dennison's passing game effectively.    

But last I checked, Peyton Manning is doing commercials for Nationwide Insurance.

I hope that  Coaching adjustments would be expected after a First time HC gets his feet wet.
Just like player turnover.
 Leaning towards a significant overhaul of the Offense, based around Shady, and blocking schemes. .

Being one for continuity myself as a standard, i expect changes this offseason in Coaching. To what degree ? Not sure.

But this will form my opinions about both Beans and Sean . What this team looks like start of ota's and preseason.

I will root for Dennison

If I have to. But Castillo has to go

20 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Nate Hackett was the last OC every one wanted on a spike and he dialed up the play that sent Buffalo and their "offense" packing.  Can't evaluate an OC with a garbage can at QB.

"Fire Roman!"  

Dennison made key adjustments to the run game this year that saved our playoff hopes.

He CAN adjust and has demonstrated the ability.  Get an actual QB and we'll make beautiful music together.

He did adjust. too slow and too late.
Sunday showed what he really has doesn't it?
Playing another team who worked hard to get there.
That is when you define Coaching best IMHO

12 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I hope that  Coaching adjustments would be expected after a First time HC gets his feet wet.
Just like player turnover.
 Leaning towards a significant overhaul of the Offense, based around Shady, and blocking schemes. .

Being one for continuity myself as a standard, i expect changes this offseason in Coaching. To what degree ? Not sure.

But this will form my opinions about both Beans and Sean . What this team looks like start of ota's and preseason.

I will root for Dennison

If I have to. But Castillo has to go

He did adjust. too slow and too late.
Sunday showed what he really has doesn't it?
Playing another team who worked hard to get there.
That is when you define Coaching best IMHO

I think we win with a better QB. JMO. Pretenders with deficient QB's don't last in the postseason. Ask the Texans. They always get bounced due to the aura of suck from the QB position.

Every QB who made the playoffs in the AFC and NFC is clearly better than TT. Defense wins championships, but QB's get you there.

I speak objectively when I state that the offensive coordinator is always the least popular coach on staff with fans

it always has been and always will be... especially with arm chair coordinators

do I think he's great? No

but I think he has a great script of plays and think our offense would do more damage with a traditional QB

im willing to give him another year 

4 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

I think we win with a better QB. JMO. Pretenders with deficient QB's don't last in the postseason. Ask the Texans. They always get bounced due to the aura of suck from the QB position.

Every QB who made the playoffs in the AFC and NFC is clearly better than TT. Defense wins championships, but QB's get you there.

no question about QB. I just think there is more to be fixed than just that.
Recall the Peterman game ?

: )

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I speak objectively when I state that the offensive coordinator is always the least popular coach on staff with fans

it always has been and always will be... especially with arm chair coordinators

do I think he's great? No

but I think he has a great script of plays and think our offense would do more damage with a traditional QB

im willing to give him another year 

Not sure he can develop a QB. Need someone who has some proven ability there. I expect Bills draft one they like this year. How they get there? not sure.
 but if Bills draft one early ish? They best be prepared to make him the Saviour. or die trying.

Coaching is key here. and Buffalo has a lack luster history, i have read...

3 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

I think we can all agree upgrading ain't easy!

We can indeed jmc

:beer:

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Not sure he can develop a QB. Need someone who has some proven ability there. I expect Bills draft one they like this year. How they get there? not sure.
 but if Bills draft one early ish? They best be prepared to make him the Saviour. or die trying.

Coaching is key here. and Buffalo has a lack luster history, i have read...

We can indeed jmc

:beer:

That is definitely a valid point if he can develop a QB

but, and I will use this an example...

Trevor Simian greatly regressed without Dennison and I suspect that he greatly wished he still had him

not that I thought simian was a franchise QB... but that Dennison was able to mask his deficiencies and make him look serviceable 

heck there were articles this summer about simian being the next Tom Brady lol

Dennison definitely did a better job developing Simian than Vance Joseph and Mike McCoy