Does Alex Smith Lead The Bills To Victory Today?

Does Alex Smith Lead The Bills To Victory Today?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. If All Conditions Are The Same, Alex Smith Lead The Bills To Victory Today?

• YES
    • NO

Tyrod Taylor is almost as polarizing a figure to Bills fans as Doug Whaley.  But here's the question - a few weeks ago, ESPN tried to guess the starting QB for all teams in 2018.  I believe they select Alex Smith as starter for the Bills.

So just for fun, if Alex Smith started today's game and all scenarios were exactly the same do the Bills come away with the win.  At first glance, it's easy to cast a yes vote.  But remember,  Jacksonville has the 2nd ranked defense in the league (though maybe a bit overrated).  Also Smith's weapons today would be drastically worse than what he had in KC this year (Kelce, Hunt, Hill) especially when you factor injuries to Benjamin, Shady, and even Charles Clay who briefly left.  When Kelce went down to a weaker defense yesterday, Smith and KC put ZERO points on the board in the second half. 

Edited by BuffaloRush

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He couldn't even lead his own team to victory yesterday. :lol:

He threw for more yards in the first half than Taylor did in the game. Not his fault they stopped giving it to Hunt.

Taylor is terrible and I’m glad he’s going to be gone.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

He scored more than 3 points :lol:

But when Kelce was out of the game, he scored 0 points

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

Alex Smith is garbage and if you want him to be your QB, then please don’t complain about Tyrod. They are both sub-par.

We all understand the real point of your thread.

Alex Smith is terrible.

That's not my point - it's a interesting question.  There's a lot of similarities between the two.

• Like (+1) 1

If you think Smith wouldn't have been able to engineer the required offense to win this game, you're being dishonest. Hes much better at doing the things required if an NFL QB these days than Taylor is. He's not elite, but he's superior to Tyrod in just about every area. 

• Like (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Alex Smith is garbage and if you want him to be your QB, then please don’t complain about Tyrod. They are both sub-par.

Alex Smith is terrible.

Yet Alex Smith is significantly better than Tyrod Taylor.

4 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Alex Smith is terrible.

Yikes. If Smith is terrible... then what does that make Tyrod? 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Alex Smith is terrible.

Your post is garbage.

Alex Smith threw for 4,000 yards, 26 tds and 5 ints 

Taylor came in at 2,799 yards 14 tds. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Tyrod Taylor is almost as polarizing a figure to Bills fans as Doug Whaley.  But here's the question - a few weeks ago, ESPN tried to guess the starting QB for all teams in 2018.  I believe they select Alex Smith as starter for the Bills.

So just for fun, if Alex Smith started today's game and all scenarios were exactly the same do the Bills come away with the win.  At first glance, it's easy to cast a yes vote.  But remember,  Jacksonville has the 2nd ranked defense in the league (though maybe a bit overrated).  Also Smith's weapons today would be drastically worse than what he had in KC this year (Kelce, Hunt, Hill) especially when you factor injuries to Benjamin, Shady, and even Charles Clay who briefly left.  When Kelce went down to a weaker defense yesterday, Smith and KC put ZERO points on the board in the second half. 

Smith's playoff record is 1-4 with the Chiefs.  

16 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

If you think Smith wouldn't have been able to engineer the required offense to win this game, you're being dishonest. Hes much better at doing the things required if an NFL QB these days than Taylor is. He's not elite, but he's superior to Tyrod in just about every area. 

And yet, Smith has been unable to engineer the required offense to win the playoff games he's played, including yesterday's against the Flaming Thumbtacks.

Is it not somewhat dishonest to ignore Smith's playoff record?

23 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

He threw for more yards in the first half than Taylor did in the game. Not his fault they stopped giving it to Hunt.

Taylor is terrible and I’m glad he’s going to be gone.

I would definitely blame that loss on the play calling. Up 21 to 3 and not feeding the ball to Hunt was incomprehensible.

Smith is uninspiring, but he’s a hell of a lot more productive than Tyrod. I’d take a QB with those stats any day over what I’ve had to watch the past three seasons. We haven’t had a QB come anywhere near 4000 yards, and he turns the ball over as little as TT. He may not win you a Super Bowl, but he’s not nearly as painful to watch.

There are many ways to lose a playoff game... Reid has been suspect in this department. I didn't see a whole lot that Smith did wrong yesterday. The QB isn't solely responsible for wins and losses as we all know , but sometimes.... Today's game was pretty much a referendum on which QB was more incompetent. While I wouldn't say that Smith could win ANY playoff game, he would easily have won this one. If I had to take one or the other to win a game, it would be Smith. Tyrod is just that bad at passing the football. 

20 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Alex Smith is terrible.

I don't think those words "garbage" and "terrible" mean what you think they mean.

I have it on good information - read it right here Smith is a Franchise QB.  I'm uncertain - but at this point in his career, he certainly is a better passer and has better in game decision making than Taylor. 

Early on in his career, many of the knocks on him were Taylor-like - happy feet, wouldn't step up into throwing lanes, wouldn't throw the ball down field, too many check-downs, missed open receivers etc.

But he has improved.  You don't throw >4000 yds and 26 TDs/5 ints, 8.6 ypa in the NFL if you're "garbage" or "terrible" as a QB

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not tough for me. Was he bringing Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, and Kareem Hunt with to Jacksonville to play with him?

I'd wager that the Bills WR corps ( save Zay Jones who is close to a lost cause) would look surprisingly competent with Smith passing the ball instead of the confused , overly cautious Tyrod.