McDermott got the most out of a largely limited roster

51 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I could say the same to you. 

Every year the NFL changes.  What goes up will come down.   

Freaking Blake Bortles out Taylored Taylor.  TT has lost a step.  I'm sorry if that bothers you, but that is what happened.  

Your statement is pretty misleading without adding a couple details. TT played the leagues #2 defense. Bortles played the leagues 21st ranked defense. Who would you expect to have a better day?

McDermott has a lot of coaching up to do still. Literally everyone here wanted Rex's head for the exact same results on defense. But Rex's teams came with a much better offense.

Rex Ryan Bills Defense:

2015- 15th ppg,  20th ypg

2016- 16thppg, 19th ypg

Sean McDermott Bills Defense:

2017-16th ppg, 21st ypg

9 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Sounds like he's saying wait until he has a good roster and see that he can do, since he got this lowly roster to the playoffs with some luck, but also with heart, teamwork, and grit.

This is step one. They traded everyone away and cut the cap, now let them get the players and build the team. Getting to the playoffs gives McD credibility in the locker room, and gives his process (at least perceived) legitimacy. He will be given years to enact his vision. For once we will get to see it play out and not just fire him after year 2.

I agree, but I fear we may not make the playoffs again for a couple more seasons, given the influx of talent we need and will likely acquire, until maturing. Consequently, there’ll be calls for Mc/Beane to be fired..

34 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Benjamin gets a bit of a mulligan for me because he was injured, but I got very little faith in Zay.

I am not saying he is a bust yet, but he had an awful year

Agreed. It’s ridiculous to say anyone could be ‘quite comfortable with  Zay in the slot’. I wouldn’t be comfortable with him in a backyard pickup game.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, I would say he got the most out of our defensive roster. The offense however clearly regressed from last year with much less turnover than the defense saw. Considering our receivers were all injured last year we ended up with pretty much the same offensive talent, but our offensive scoring dropped from 7th to 28th. That's really bad. Say what you want about Tyrod, with the same surrounding talent and a worse defense we were a top 10 scoring offense. The only thing that changed is Dennison for Lynn. I hope McDermott understands this is unacceptable.

Edited by HappyDays

McDermott hired an OC that didn’t mesh with his QB

by definition I can’t say he got the most out of the talent when he didn’t maximize the most important position. 

Thats not to say he is awful but I don’t think he optimally handled the season either 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Taylor gave 110% effort every game. Kudos for that but sadly his 110 is not god enough.

Be that as it may.   Everyone played with 110% effort yesterday  from what I saw.   110% effort does not excuse missing 2 wide open guys for possible TD's.   

47 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

McDermott hired an OC that didn’t mesh with his QB

by definition I can’t say he got the most out of the talent when he didn’t maximize the most important position. 

Thats not to say he is awful but I don’t think he optimally handled the season either 

Or we can say that McDermott kept the QB that didn’t mesh with the OC he hired. 

57 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Be that as it may.   Everyone played with 110% effort yesterday  from what I saw.   110% effort does not excuse missing 2 wide open guys for possible TD's.   

Or we can say that McDermott kept the QB that didn’t mesh with the OC he hired. 

agree with the bolded.  i just don't think you go out and hire an oc that works with taylor.  you hire a guy that runs the offense you want to run, and get the qb from there.  i hate the idea of building anything around taylor, and i have a feeling this staff did too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think you hire an OC who adapts his system to the players he has. That's what the best coaches do.

For the most part, Dennison did not. 

says who?  it's just as easily said that the best coaches put their systems in place, and bring in the players that can run that system.  if a player falters, you can grab another.  again, why would anyone adapt a system to tyrod?  he's just too limited.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Because that's the decision they made at QB. 

So why would you force your system on a guy who clearly doesn't suit it? 

scott, that decision on a qb is for the temporary.  i think we all knew that.  tyrod had to take a pay cut just to come back.  to think he was part of a long term solution, and that you should build around him just isn't correct.

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think you hire an OC who adapts his system to the players he has. That's what the best coaches do.

For the most part, Dennison did not. 

Plug and Play -  You have X number of players in which you can insert at any time that can run the play and not just one guy.  Versatility 

Where did I say build around him? 

He was here for the year correct? So take advantage of his skill set and utilize a system that fits him for the year. 

When you habe another QB then do the same thing for him. Why is that so wrong?

Its exactly what Bill Obrien was doing with Watson in Houston.

he's here for a year.  i just don't agree with bringing in a guy who can make the offense work for one year.  this is a long term plan.  as i've said many time, this roster is going to look drastically different next year.  this year was a break down, and this off season begins the build up.  i don't think it's easy as you're making by saying just change things up next year so it works for the same qb.  i suppose it depends on the system they want to run.  

It will look different just because of the cap room and draft picks they have.

Still they need to either get a guy such as Cousins or Smith in FA and/or trade up and get one.

Settling for a Case Keemun and not drafting a QB isn't going to do ****.

well of course it will look different because of cap room and picks.  hence the breaking down year, and building up this off season.  they definitely need to find a qb this offseason, but i don't know why you assume the bills would "settle" for keenum, and then not draft a qb.  was this mentioned anywhere, or are you assuming?

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I agree, but I fear we may not make the playoffs again for a couple more seasons, given the influx of talent we need and will likely acquire, until maturing. Consequently, there’ll be calls for Mc/Beane to be fired..

I totally agree. There will be calls for his firing, but I bet he's here through 2020 at least.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm assuming. They had a chance last year and traded down.

Ill believe they'll go hard for a QB prospect(I mean a 1st round good prospect) when I see it. Till then I remain skeptical.

i wouldn't try to determine what's going to happen this draft based on what happened last draft.  there were new coaches, and if i'm not mistaken, bean wasn't even hired yet.