Why the Peterman hate

BBills88

Not sure how anybody can bash Peterman today given the circumstances.

Guy came in off the bench and made a huge 4th down conversion in his first play then another beautiful pass before a garbage intentional grounding call and INT that wasn't legit and not his fault to begin with even if it was.

Bottom line, the future is very bright and look forward to seeing him start next year after a good offseason.

42 minutes ago, Rise Up Lights said:

I would say I think there's hope because of his anticipation and pocket presence. I think he has good accuracy. Those traits, imo, are the 3 most important for an NFL QB. I like how he challenges the defense and I like his aggressiveness. I don't think he was adjusted to the speed of the NFL and hasn't figured out the timing with his receivers and is still figuring out what he can and can't do.   I'm not saying I'm ready to roll with him as a penciled in starter for next season. I just feel he possesses some quality attributes they are worth building the rest of his skill set around. I would be ok with allowing him to be a part of the qb competition next season and if he is the guy, I'm ok with it. But just my personal opinion on it,  I think he could end up being a pretty decent quarterback and is an option I'd like to explore. He's a smart kid and after the learning curve, I think he'll be worth it. 

Peterman will be just fine with development and an improved "pocket" Oline. The last 3 years we had a "scrambling qb" O-line. But we'll still need to draft a QB early.

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Peterman will be just fine with development and an improved "pocket" Oline. The last 3 years we had a "scrambling qb" O-line. But we'll still need to draft a QB early.

I agree. If the guy they want is in their sights they need to pull the trigger. But I also hope they don't sacrifice a pick and settle for a guy they're not sold on. The idea of building a monstrous defense with these draft picks is an intriguing thought. But they really need to find stability at QB also... It'll be a fun draft this year.

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No hate, just apropos that the season ended on a Peterman int.....

Come on. He HAD to try something in these circumstances. In a way, I'm glad he was willing to risk an INT to try win the game. Of course the result was bad, and season ending, but Tyrod had overthrown so many opened receivers today (and all year) to avoid an INT on his record that I'm glad NP tried. 

54 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Nate looks like text book pocket passer franchise QB. He's tall. He drops back well. He gets rid of it fast. Looks great til the football leaves his hand.

Colts game

The pick today was a tough throw for any QB.

On the left hash having to throw to past the numbers on the right side of the field. That is about a 30-35 yard throw and needs to be on a rope. Difficult throw for anybody.

• Like (+1) 2

For me, the problem with Peterman is that it seems to similar to the Trent Edwards situation. I don't want to become attached too closely to a project QB. Edwards was given a prominent role and a long leash despite being drafted in the third round. He never lit up or earned the job. He just benefited from being not as terrible as JP. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see us pass on drafting a QB in the first couple of rounds this year. We have a ton of holes that need to be filled. Is anyone in the entire front seven safe? Interior of the o-line is aging. And I think our management likes Peterman a lot more than most of us do.  

12 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

The pick today was a tough throw for any QB.

On the left hash having to throw to past the numbers on the right side of the field. That is about a 30-35 yard throw and needs to be on a rope. Difficult throw for anybody.

Starting NFL QBs get paid to make that throw. QBs in the NFL that cannot make that throw are back ups. 

1 hour ago, familykwi said:

I find it amusing that Peterman being a 5th round draft pick is such a problem.  If Peterman deserves no chance due to his draft position, then why is a former 6th round pick our starter?

Because he won a three way QB competition between EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel. Not the most difficult thing to do obviously but still more than Peterman has done up to this point. And that's not Peterman's fault really, he hasn't really had the chance yet. I'm sure he will get a shot this preseason to compete with a veteran QB and another rookie.. Taylor also had a really nice season after winning that QB competition. So that is how a former 6th round pick became our starting QB. It wasn't just handed to him.

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Not sure how anybody can bash Peterman today given the circumstances.

Guy came in off the bench and made a huge 4th down conversion in his first play then another beautiful pass before a garbage intentional grounding call and INT that wasn't legit and not his fault to begin with even if it was.

Bottom line, the future is very bright and look forward to seeing him start next year after a good offseason.

The intentional grounding was a reasonable call.

Iirc the completion was high. Something he has a problem with. 

The int was a terrible read. Ramsey was sitting on that route and peterman doesn't have the arm strength to make that throw. As soon as peterman turned that direction ramsey broke on the route. Looks like he didn't read the coverage, that ball shouldn't have been thrown. 

Peterman didn't make me feel any better about his future today. 

19 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

For me, the problem with Peterman is that it seems to similar to the Trent Edwards situation. I don't want to become attached too closely to a project QB. Edwards was given a prominent role and a long leash despite being drafted in the third round. He never lit up or earned the job. He just benefited from being not as terrible as JP. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see us pass on drafting a QB in the first couple of rounds this year. We have a ton of holes that need to be filled. Is anyone in the entire front seven safe? Interior of the o-line is aging. And I think our management likes Peterman a lot more than most of us do.  

Starting NFL QBs get paid to make that throw. QBs in the NFL that cannot make that throw are back ups. 

Ding Ding Ding! 

DSERbWoX0AQRoN1.jpg

2 hours ago, familykwi said:

I find it amusing that Peterman being a 5th round draft pick is such a problem.  If Peterman deserves no chance due to his draft position, then why is a former 6th round pick our starter?

It's not his draft position, it's the combination of his draft position, his experience, and what he's shown so far.  A former 6th round pick is our starter after he spent 4 years understudying Flacco, beating out new late-picks and UDFA every training camp, and showing enough in PS/game glimpses that he got another contract - where he beat out a veteran (Cassel) and a former 1st round pick in TC/PS.  He earned a shot (and now his shot is probably shot, but that's another issue)

I find it amusing that people who don't think Peterman is "all that and a bag of chips" are termed "haters".  In 4 years, he might be a capable starter.  Right now, he's a guy who completed less than 50% of his passes in preseason games, who was clearly not-ready when given a chance to start, and who showed more of the same when put in an admittedly very tough situation at the end of a playoff game.  It's not "hate" or a "problem" with his draft status, it's just he hasn't done anything to earn love or a chance to start.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

And your point?

We are talking about Peterman here. Not a QB that will be on another team come next season. Right now Peterman can't make that throw and that's a problem.

That QB couldn't make that throw (along with many others) for 3 years. But now it's a problem  -- when a 5th round rookie comes off the bench cold and is thrown into probably the most difficult situation possible for any QB. 

Got it. 

Hapless Bills Fan is spot on.

1 minute ago, twoandfourteen said:

That QB couldn't make that throw (along with many others) for 3 years. But now it's a problem  -- when a 5th round rookie comes off the bench cold and is thrown into probably the most difficult situation possible for any QB. 

Got it. 

No you are missing what myself and others have said. Taylor earned a starting job in 2015. Even if it was against weak competition he earned it nonetheless. He played very well in 2015. Even a hater should acknowledge that. Maybe he still didn't make every throw in 2015 but he overall played very well. Now these last two years his play has declined and he'll be on a new team next year. Rightly so. But Peterman? What has he earned? What has he proven? Nothing yet.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Hapless Bills Fan is spot on.

No you are missing what myself and others have said. Taylor earned a starting job in 2015. Even if it was against weak competition he earned it nonetheless. He played very well in 2015. Even a hater should acknowledge that. Maybe he still didn't make every throw in 2015 but he overall played very well. Now these last two years his play has declined and he'll be on a new team next year. Rightly so. But Peterman? What has he earned? What has he proven? Nothing yet.

That's fair. Maybe I had you mixed up with the guys who are absolutely adamant & convinced that Peterman is already finished and has no shot at an NFL career. 

I don't particularly care if he does or not -- I just have a problem with how the narrative for NP has been twisted. 

25 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Got it. 

Its the bigs man. If you can't run with the big dogs,stay on the porch.