Jacksonville’s vaunted pass rush

Paul Costa

I did a real quick dive into their last nine games. They have 22 sacks in the last nine games. With all the hype and nicknames for their killer Defense I was expecting much more gaudy numbers than 2.4 per game over that major stretch. I went back to their bye week. I know their sack numbers blow Buffalo’s away.The other thing that I noticed was 8 of  their last 9 opponents  didn’t make the playoffs . The lone exception were the Tennessee Titans in week 17. I came away with a better feeling on the outcome of the game than I had 10 minutes before. Still going to be a tough challenge for sure.

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I mean - 20 of 55 sacks were in 2 10-sack games against HOU week 1 and IND in week 7.  Considering they played them both two more times... they got 28 of 55 sacks in 4 games against HOU and IND.  

They're a good... even a great defense.  But they are not as good as numbers indicate.  

This is awesome news! Good thing we have this outstanding O line to keep their good, not great vaunted D in check. ?

6 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

If we’re going to win, it’s going to be because of special teams and turnovers. Gotta be outstanding there. Field positon, returns, and FGs. 

Totally agree; add in a couple of big plays from Tyrod in timely moment.

Could be a big pass or a big scramble for a first down when we need it...but he's going to have to show up a few times with big plays.  He's certainly capable of it and has made plays like that throughout the season.  

I am more concerned with them being the Number 1 Defense in limiting drives and getting off the field. 

That going against our offense that cant seem to stay on the field spells trouble for the Bills defense in terms of fatigue. 

I also think this is the fastest defense we have faced in terms of Defense Team speed. Maybe ATL a bit faster. Which tells me they dont have to scheme to keep up with Taylor running. 

Edited by MAJBobby

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am more concerned with them being the Number 1 Defense in limiting drives and getting off the field. 

That going against our offense that cant seem to stay on the field spells trouble for the Bills defense in terms of fatigue. 

I also think this is the fastest defense we have faced in terms of Defense Team speed. Maybe ATL a bit faster. Which tells me they dont have to scheme to keep up with Taylor running. 

Hey MAJ, sounds gloomy and doomy.  How do we win??

It looks like they fell off a little defensively after their bye . Their defense came into the season with their hair on fire ?!! Beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh!! Where is that game you point to in their last nine and say wow that’s a Championship program there!! Bills played 4 playoff teams in the last 9 weeks. Only beat one of them the Chiefs. Played the Pats tough for a half twice. Not saying our body of work is better than their’s but I don’t think it’s the mismatch many are predicting. I’m am surely not objective but I feel this game will be close in the fourth quarter.

24 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Hey MAJ, sounds gloomy and doomy.  How do we win??

Stop Fournette and make Bortles try and beat you with his arm. And the offense NEEDS to sustain drives and Score TDs not FGs because the way Jax plays the game will go fast and will have less drives 

And run on them. Their Run defense isnt the best and with the amount of speed they have you should employ alot of misdirection and tempo on offense

Hope Shady is healthy, because i just dont think we match up at all with Jax when on offense. 

Edited by MAJBobby

56 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You’re right. Go to nfl.com and watch the sf/jags highlights. SF kills them with play action because they over pursue a lot. They’re fast, but it hurts them there.  

50 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

Blake Bortles is still their QB... Idc if he has had moments where he has looked decent, he's still Blake Bortles. I have no idea how Buffalo is a 9 point dog in this one. Has me a lil' worried I have the homer glasses on a bit too tight.

The injury to McCoy is playing a big role in that spread.  We would have a tough time winning with a 100% Shady. With him hampered, it's likely going to be that much more difficult.  We definitely have a shot,  but it's gonna take a really solid effort combined with key breaks going our way. 

3 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

The injury to McCoy is playing a big role in that spread.  We would have a tough time winning with a 100% Shady. With him hampered, it's likely going to be that much more difficult.  We definitely have a shot,  but it's gonna take a really solid effort combined with key breaks going our way. 

I get it, and maybe its because I haven't seen more than Jags highlights this year, but I'm just not sold on them as a 9 PT favorite when their "home field" is essentially a neutral site.  Plus they are hobbling in to the post season on back to back losses, last week being a truly pathetic offensive showing.  All you ever hear about is "who gets hot in December", Jacksonville is the polar opposite right now.  

Speaking of "polar", I think this deep freeze and unprecedented weather they are experiencing is an omen of things to come. Winter has come to the South...

I don't think other teams' sack stats even apply to playing the Bills, especially when they can be dissected like the premise of this thread. The Bills line is awful protecting the QB. Every team is on top of Tyrod quick the entire game. He both eludes pass rushers early with ease, or amazingly, OR, does that and holds the ball way, way too long and should just throw it away and gets sacked.

IMO all pass rush tendencies for any team go out the window with Tyrod. The Dolphins have one of the best in the league and he eludes them. Other teams have lackluster stats and get him four times because he refuses to get rid of the ball, no one is open, or, most often and most infuriating, he has such confidence he can get away and run away from anyone, because he has done it 200 times before, he always just assumes he will do it again and he can't.

Two-three times a game he can't. People don't talk about that enough IMO. I'm a Tyrod fan overall (although I don't think he is great and he has huge deficiencies) but this is almost as big a problem as his inaccuracy.

• Like (+1) 1