The REAL importance of being in this year's playoffs

Jobot

With the surreal finish to the regular season, the Buffalo Bills drought is over!!!

Looking to the weekend, I'm fairly optimistic that this team will be ready to also win it's first playoff game in.  So I looked up some fun facts below:

17 years since last playoff appearance - (1999 - no need to mention details)

22 years since Last playoff Win - vs Miami in 1995

25 years since last playoff road Win - at Pittsburgh in 1992

But to the point of this thread.... This will be the first playoff environment experience for most of the guys on this team.  This is huge when considering the fact that A- Buffalo realistically isn't going to go beyond the divisional playoff round, and B - I'd much rather get the 'first' playoff game jitters out of the way with a team that doesn't have high expectations, which hopefully each upcoming year we get better and better....

Next year, when we get back to the playoffs we'll have a group of young veterans with playoff experience!

Can't wait to beat the Jags this Sunday, GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 2

That's a fair point. But...

Don't be so sure they can't at least get a win. The playoffs are not traditionally favorable for teams that have a losing streak going in. There is a ton of energy in Buf right now, and whether they like to admit it, Jags fans are scared.

Also there will be a solid contingent of Bills fans there. Our players have already said they got a lift this year seeing so much blue in Atlanta.

Now, if they do lose, your point remains. They will have playoff experience with a team with no expectations. Not to mention real momemtum going into next year. If there was anybody not buying in to McD's "process", they damn sure are bought in now.

Great thing about this is how dramatic it all happened putting Bills on national stage and getting players ready for all the hype hopefully to come in a few years.

Bills are arguably the most dramatic team in NFL history. Nothing comes easy. Big crushing losses and some big wins although few like the "comeback".

I am happy I chose them back in my youth. Even though they lose more than win you could never say they are not entertaining.

Has there ever been a celebration like this past week for any team just making the playoffs?? maybe but no cell phones and other to document like we had this week. Crazy fun.

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Jobot said:

With the surreal finish to the regular season, the Buffalo Bills drought is over!!!

Looking to the weekend, I'm fairly optimistic that this team will be ready to also win it's first playoff game in.  So I looked up some fun facts below:

17 years since last playoff appearance - (1999 - no need to mention details)

22 years since Last playoff Win - vs Miami in 1995

25 years since last playoff road Win - at Pittsburgh in 1992

But to the point of this thread.... This will be the first playoff environment experience for most of the guys on this team.  This is huge when considering the fact that A- Buffalo realistically isn't going to go beyond the divisional playoff round, and B - I'd much rather get the 'first' playoff game jitters out of the way with a team that doesn't have high expectations, which hopefully each upcoming year we get better and better....

Next year, when we get back to the playoffs we'll have a group of young veterans with playoff experience!

Can't wait to beat the Jags this Sunday, GO BILLS!

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, we finally have a good coach and GM.

This is a rebuilding year.  Yet McD coached up this ragtag group of no-names into a playoff team.   This wins a lot of credibility for McD, his coaches, and his "process."

As Jobot says, we also gain playoff experience in a no-pressure situation.  We're not expected to make a run this year.

All this - combined with a good offseason (hence the assumptions at the outset) - sets us up for a better 2018.  

This is just Phase 1.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, we finally have a good coach and GM.

This is a rebuilding year.  Yet McD coached up this ragtag group of no-names into a playoff team.   This wins a lot of credibility for McD, his coaches, and his "process."

As Jobot says, we also gain playoff experience in a no-pressure situation.  We're not expected to make a run this year.

All this - combined with a good offseason (hence the assumptions at the outset) - sets us up for a better 2018.  

This is just Phase 1.

Great post!

50 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Don't be so sure they can't at least get a win. The playoffs are not traditionally favorable for teams that have a losing streak going in. There is a ton of energy in Buf right now, and whether they like to admit it, Jags fans are scared.

You misread the OP:  Jobot said they had a good chance to beat Jax - he said they won't get past the _divisional_ round (IE the Pats* in NE).

I think we all agree here that getting the monkey of the team's (and fans') back is useful going forward, as will be however much playoff experience they get.

When you consider they accomplished (or will have) all that PLUS racked up extra draft capital, it's hard not to call this a massive success for "the Process".

56 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Also there will be a solid contingent of Bills fans there. Our players have already said they got a lift this year seeing so much blue in Atlanta.

Now, if they do lose, your point remains. They will have playoff experience with a team with no expectations. Not to mention real momemtum going into next year. If there was anybody not buying in to McD's "process", they damn sure are bought in now.

I agree -- I think everything hinges on the Bills first 2 or 3 possessions on offense. Tyrod needs to come away with at least 10 points for the Bills to be able to stay in the game.

If it's a couple of punts or FGs, and Jacksonville gets an early lead -- then it's pretty much game over. 

4 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

You misread the OP:  Jobot said they had a good chance to beat Jax - he said they won't get past the _divisional_ round (IE the Pats* in NE).

I think we all agree here that getting the monkey of the team's (and fans') back is useful going forward, as will be however much playoff experience they get.

When you consider they accomplished (or will have) all that PLUS racked up extra draft capital, it's hard not to call this a massive success for "the Process".

Gotcha, amd I agree.

Making the playoffs AND having all that draft capital and cap flexibility has me very optimistic about "the process"

1 minute ago, Shotgunner said:

Gotcha, amd I agree.

Making the playoffs AND having all that draft capital and cap flexibility has me very optimistic about "the process"

Yeah I am reprocessing the process myself.  LOL

Something went right for Bills for a welcome change. I will enjoy it even with the haters out there making fun of us celebrating something as simple as a playoffs birth.

Those poor *****. They have not a clue.

Well I hope first of all they get far, all the way if possible :) Otherwise, I hope it is indeed "phase 1". I don't want to be a party pooper but there will be again a LOT of roster changes next year, some stars getting older, draft picks could be great, average or busts, etc. Lots of unknowns. We could remain a 6-10 to 10-6 team for years. We just don't know. The thing is to enjoy the moment!

IMO, breaking thru to reach the playoffs does so many things related to changing the culture and mentality of everyone associated with the Bills!

1. They achieved a goal they set. No more same ole Bills.

2. They did it when their overall talent level is low. Talent level should increase and think of the expectations if they can land a franchise QB.

3. It shows they are in it to win it which is a huge message with FA’s, future assistant coaches, etc. Who wouldn’t want to be part of this with such a rabid fanbase. People shouldn’t underestimate the scene at the airport. That doesn’t happen at 99% of the other NFL teams!

4. Lastly, winning establishes a minimum bar of what is expected going forward. No more disappointing stories about losing, relocating team, etc. Now the stories are about a stories franchise, small market city that loves its Bills, BillsMafia, rising young coach, fans coming out of the woodwork who lost faith but now wear their Bills apparel with pride and lastly RESPECT!

Would love nothing more than to beat the Jags and knock Brady off of their pedestal!!!!

LETS GO BUFFALO!

2 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

A loss is always a loss no matter the circumstances and it will sting and hurt!!!! Go Bills