Micah Hyde loves McDermott and Buffalo

HappyDays

Micah Hyde hasn’t been a part of a seventeen year playoff drought.  Or a seven year drought.  Even a one year playoff drought.  The Bills’ safety has drank from an ocean of playoff water his entire career, making it to the postseason in each of his first five seasons in the league, starting in 2013 and through 2016 with the Green Bay Packers.  

Now, in 2017, he’s going again with the Bills.

You might think Hyde would be so used to playoff football by now that making it in again would be like any other year, any other situation.

Yet, here he was, right in front of the television in the Bills’ locker room, jumping on top of someone’s shoulders, yelling and going crazy with the rest of his teammates right after Bengals’ QB Andy Dalton hit Tyler Boyd with the touchdown pass that essentially ended the Bills’ seventeen year playoff drought.

What about this experience made it as, or even more special than any of the previous four times Hyde got into the postseason?

“Because each year, that year in the league, it's a new team,” he told me while standing in front of his locker Wednesday as the Bills get ready to face the Jaguars in the AFC Wild Card game Sunday in Jacksonville.  “You learn so much about these guys, and coming here and kind of going through the transition that I did and kind of being frustrated at the beginning - not with the team - but just with the whole free agency thing, and it's just a blessing in disguise, it really is, coming here and learning a lot about these guys.

“And knowing the rich history that the Bills have, but not being to the playoffs in the last seventeen years, that's been just a monkey on our shoulder the whole year. We went through a bunch of ups and downs. We had a three game skid that we stuck together. We really did. Everybody on the outside was doubting us and killing us in the media and doing all that. We stuck together, and being in that locker room after the game was one of the most exciting experiences I've ever had in my life. To see all the smiles on everybody's face. Seeing Kyle (Williams) and his kids being in there. Sean McDermott, his first season, just so much going on on this football team that to be able to sit together and get into the playoffs just was so exciting, and this is ten times better than any other experience.”

Hyde was drafted by the Packers in the fifth round in 2013.  He started 49 games over four years in Green Bay, then hit free agency this past March.  There’s a persistent thought amongst fans and media around the country that players don’t want to come to Buffalo.  They don’t want to play a small market for an organization that has had such little success.  But Hyde was different.  The Toledo, Ohio native was the Bills’ main target when free agency opened and signed a five-year, $30.5 million contract with the team. 

Hyde may have been one of the first really talented free agents McDermott brought to Buffalo, but he’s confident he won’t be the last.  And had a message to anyone else who thinks this shouldn’t be a prime destination.

“I tell you what,” he said.  “It's the biggest city I've lived in. I love Buffalo man, from the from the food to the community. I love every bit of it. Obviously it snows a lot but, you know, that's not a problem. I'm a Midwest guy.

“But I think Sean McDermott is, I'm not just saying this because he's my coach now, he's going to change this place. He already has. He's already been on a mission with this place and my message to the the rest of the league is 'pay attention to what he's doing.' You want to talk bad about Buffalo? 'I don't want to go to Buffalo?' I said the same thing. But once you get here you understand that this guy means business. He's really going to change (things), he's going to bring in some guys, and we're all excited for what he's done and what he's about to do because he is the real deal, for real.”

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 7

I love it.  More validation for what McDermott is doing here in Buffalo, and the fact that he really has changed the culture at One Bills Drive.  Also the fact that players are not only buying in, but that they enjoy playing for him.  I'm truly excited about this upcoming season, and to see what he and Beane do in the draft with so much draft capital.  I may be in the minority, but I really hope that they DON'T reach for one of the QB's coming out, or give up the farm, seeing as though we have several key holes to fill, and have the stockpile of picks to address many of our needs.  With first round picks probably in the 20s, I feel like we would have to give up WAY too much to move up, especially with so many teams needing a QB.  My dream would be to have Mayfield fall to us, but that's becoming more and more doubtful.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......special thanks goes out to FORMER GM Ted Thompson for letting him walk..............

I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the main reasons that Ted isn't the GM anymore.

21 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

I love it.  More validation for what McDermott is doing here in Buffalo, and the fact that he really has changed the culture at One Bills Drive.  Also the fact that players are not only buying in, but that they enjoy playing for him.  I'm truly excited about this upcoming season, and to see what he and Beane do in the draft with so much draft capital.  I may be in the minority, but I really hope that they DON'T reach for one of the QB's coming out, or give up the farm, seeing as though we have several key holes to fill, and have the stockpile of picks to address many of our needs.  With first round picks probably in the 20s, I feel like we would have to give up WAY too much to move up, especially with so many teams needing a QB.  My dream would be to have Mayfield fall to us, but that's becoming more and more doubtful.

...I believe you are correct.....I seriously doubt they stockpiled picks to give up the farm nor do I see them throwing stupid money at Cousins ala 30 mil/yr for mediocrity.....overpaying for a beer makes a helluva lot more sense even if it is WARM....wouldn't surprise me if they go with the Rudolph kid in the middle of the 1st even though he won't be "start ready"....as you said, draft capital preservation is essential to fill other holes.....FA starts 3/14 and TT's roster bonus of $6mil is due 3/16 so the QB spot becomes a bit clearer.....Vikes would be fools to let Keenum walk as the only healthy one in the bunch......rumors say Andy wants a 2nd for Alex Smith as a possibility if they don't keep TT ($16 mil tariff).....McCarron is an RFA as another possibility depending on tender....Stanton is a UFA but may opt to re-sign with 'Zona (just tore his ACL though)......so there is plenty of movement potentially with QB spot as far as a vet....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

22 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

He lost the team. Haven't you noticed?

Props to Hyde who is most definitely the real deal himself.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the main reasons that Ted isn't the GM anymore.

....from what I've read, Ted's ego is legendary as in ONLY my way......shades of Tom DonoHOLE and his demands to be named "El Presidente", 1st one in Bflo history which worked out WELL, right?......without Rodgers, Ted would have been out a long time ago IMO......Aaron covered his blunders.....

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

When I saw him on the list of FA's last year, I REALLY wanted the Bills to get him.  I was shocked when they did.  Then the Bills got Poyer, Gaines, and drafted White.  Complete secondary remake in 1 offseason.  

Next step is to remake the front 7. Imagine if they are just as successful in that, we will have a feared defense for years to come. My dream offseason would be to sign Star Lotulelei and draft Roquon Smith.

• Like (+1) 3

I will tell you who else is the real deal - Micah Hyde. 

I used to scratch my head with the way GB used this guy as a kid of utility fill in. He was one of my favourite players in the league even before we signed him. He is an outstanding player and a real leader. Love our 4 secondary players. Really, really hope they can find a way to bring Gaines back and keep the band together. 

• Like (+1) 1

Micah Hyde grew up in the Toledo area, went to college in Iowa city, and played the first four years of his career in Green Bay. I’m positive Orchard Park is the nicest place he’s ever lived. Tre White said micah bought a very nice house there and has the secondary over all the time.

There is a great interview that WGR did with his agent last spring after he signed here. If I can find it I will post it. It explains why he chose the Bills right away instead of playing the FA game. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Next step is to remake the front 7. Imagine if they are just as successful in that, we will have a feared defense for years to come. My dream offseason would be to sign Star Lotulelei and draft Roquon Smith.

Smith is a beast.  It seems there is some decent front 7 help in both the draft and FA.  Excited to see what we do.  

Just now, Limeaid said:

My favorite NFC team is the Pack and I was surprised how they used just as you described him - utility player.  Evidently they incorrectly thought he was not good enough to be paid full veteran starting money.

A lot of packers fans on twitter are furious about how he was used and that they they didn’t even offer him a contract. It’s one reason Capers is gone. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

A lot of packers fans on twitter are furious about how he was used and that they they didn’t even offer him a contract. It’s one reason Capers is gone. 

Yep. I used to work with a Packer fan who would lament Hyde being shifted from pillar to post. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If we can do that and still get a Quarterback I'd be giddy with excitement. Doubt we can though. 

Yeah it's probably a pipe dream, but who knows. We would have to trade up for Smith which personally I would support because I think he's the next Kuechly. I would be on board with that and signing one of Alex Smith, Cousins, Bradford, Keenum, or Bridgewater. We could really make some noise next year if that's how it plays out.