Who is unimpressed by the 2018 QB class?

njbuff

10 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The Bills should've drafted Cousins. If he is available we absolutely need to get him. He will be one of the top 8 QB's in the NFL and will feed off the passion and energy of Bills fans on game day. I could see Shady having 1,800 yards of total offense with Cousins at QB.

Agree 100%, getting Cousins would be my dream scenario and use the draft to fill some holes. 

6 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

Agree 100%, getting Cousins would be my dream scenario and use the draft to fill some holes. 

Cousins looked like crap today against a bad team and will cost a ton.  No thanks!

9 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

The thing is, the ‘83 Draft class is considered to be one of the best ever, and 2004 is in believed to be of similar value and each had 3 high quality QBs. But every year there are QBs believed to be “can’t miss” and franchise caliber, but wind up being a bust. And then there are the Daks, Russell Wilsons and Kirk Cousins or Tony Romos and Kurt Warners in almost every Draft (notice I didn’t mention Brady)....

My point is that to me, is just as much about coaching the young man as it is about identifying the raw potential of any of these QBs. So, yes the Bills need to identify and be able to Draft the right QB, but just as much - they need to be able to develop him and coach him and give him an honest opportunity to grow and make Rookie type mistakes so he CAN get better. 

With th all of the top billing guys there are also guys like Ryan Finley and Luke Falk who probably have the basic tools to be a good NFL QB, but need to be coached and trained properly to mature into their QB of the future.

People often forget that the 83 class had three stars, two busts and one pretty good guy. And the second and third guys were not the best if I remember. I think Tony Eason and Todd Blackledge were taken pretty high. Marino was sixth. Ken O'Brien was pretty good but not great. Even in the best year ever it was a crapshoot. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's absolutely no doubt that Rosen has the best arm of the entire group. The problem is Rosen had to be coddled by Mora for the three years he was at UCLA. Mora kept him away from the media. The dorm hot tub incident didn't help.  I just don't see him as a tough grinder who will lead a team in the NFL. He reminds me a lot of Jay Cutler. Taking him is a huge risk/reward scenario. 

I think all of that is nonsense. I'm not saying he will be a stud, or that his strong personality will not have an affect of his perception around the league. But the hot tub thing is total nonsense. He's a really tough player. His teammates love him. The fact he is not afraid to speak his mind is a concern but not a detriment or lack of leadership. 

Just now, downunderbill said:

there are some very QB desperate teams near the top and the Bills and Chief's picks are in the bottom third of the draft. Unless Beane and McDermott trade away the future, we aren't getting one of these top prospects being debated anyway.

Yup. 

14 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

there are some very QB desperate teams near the top and the Bills and Chief's picks are in the bottom third of the draft. Unless Beane and McDermott trade away the future, we aren't getting one of these top prospects being debated anyway.

The future is getting a legit 15 year top end QB

Not Brees for sure. He wasn't even a good player his first five years. Manning yes. But he's not in the league so I didnt count him although yes he is a 15 year guy. Ben is about 12. 

Just a pet peeve of mine I guess. People talk about franchise QBs for 15 years but it rarely happens. They talk about running backs carrying 30 times but it rarely happens. If you get a franchise guy like Rodgers for 7.5 years, half of 15, you're one of 1-2 teams. 

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not Brees for sure. He wasn't even a good player his first five years. Manning yes. But he's not in the league so I didnt count him although yes he is a 15 year guy. Ben is about 12. 

Just a pet peeve of mine I guess. People talk about franchise QBs for 15 years but it rarely happens. They talk about running backs carrying 30 times but it rarely happens. If you get a franchise guy like Rodgers for 7.5 years, half of 15, you're one of 1-2 teams. 

Brees became a top-tier talent in 2004.  The same year the Chargers drafted Rivers and Big Ben entered the league.  That's 14 years, and those guys are still going. 

But yes, it's not a long list.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Brees became a top-tier talent in 2004.  The same year the Chargers drafted Rivers and Big Ben entered the league.  That's 14 years, and those guys are still going. 

But yes, it's not a long list.

Some people think that. I don't. He had a good stat year in 2004. And they still drafted Rivers.  He wasn't as good in 2005. To me he was only a real good QB one of five years in SD. When he and Dante Culpepper were both available as FA QBs and both hurt a little, teams wanted Culpepper. The Dolphins chose him over Brees. Brees has good stats one year on the Chargers but they never thought of him as a star. 

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Some people think that. I don't. He had a good stat year in 2004. And they still drafted Rivers.  He wasn't as good in 2005. To me he was only a real good QB one of five years in SD. When he and Dante Culpepper were both available as FA QBs and both hurt a little, teams wanted Culpepper. The Dolphins chose him over Brees. Brees has good stats one year on the Chargers but they never thought of him as a star. 

They drafted Rivers prior to the 2004 season because Brees had a poor 2003, his 3rd in the league.  He had a great 2004 and a very good 2005, but suffered an injury to his throwing shoulder in the season finale.  So they let him walk because he was an UFA and were paying Rivers a ton.  And the Dols chose...poorly.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

They drafted Rivers prior to the 2004 season because Brees had a poor 2003, his 3rd in the league.  He had a great 2004 and a very good 2005, but suffered an injury to his throwing shoulder in the season finale.  So they let him walk because he was an UFA and were paying Rivers a ton.  And the Dols chose...poorly.

Thanks for clearing the years up. But again I think he was only a very good QB one of five years. I watched them a lot those years. Even in 2004 when he had great stats he didn't look like the guy we know him as. He was good but not great. The next year he was pretty good. Sean Payton really let him loose. 

Give me Baker or Mason, probably preferably Baker.  But I wanna keep Tyrod around.  And I think we can get either of them where we'll pick with one of our 1st's.  I don't think there's a QB worth mortgaging the future, like you would have for Luck.  I prefer we keep building the team, and upgrade where we can.

Every year folks who dont normally watch college ball catch a couple Bowl games and immediately start crapping on players.

This QB class has as much potential as some of the more historic QB classes. No one can say whether they'll definitely boom or bust, but when it comes to maximizing your potential and minimizing your risk, this is a good class to try to get someone. Especially if Darnold comes out and Mayfield has a decent playoff performance.

The Bills have set themselves up with the draft capital to move around into the top 10, without having to sell the farm. No more excuses. Git r dun.

15 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....don't they all end up being overhyped?.....wasn't the 2017 battle cry "wait 'til next year"?..............

As was 2016 and 2015........

The QBs with the spotlights show the warts and everyone moves away and then 3-4 are drafted in the first round because of the importance of the position.

This year will be no different everyone will find fault and then in the end scouts will look at the body of work and several will get drafted early and one or two will work out and one or two will bust just like nearly every year.

I will be interested to see who decides to come out and who goes back because if Darnold goes back - wait for it...  the 2019 class will be great ??.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Paulus said:

I think 5 QBs will be taken in the first round, maybe even more. If people are not impressed, then they are not paying attention. People bagging on Darnold are stupid and have no idea what they are talking about. 

He will go 1 or 2 overall. Probably, #1. Just letting you and the other schmucks know you have not idea what you are talking about.

I'm the first to admit that I don't. I don't watch CFB enough. I do know that the NFL is so starved for QB talent that you're right, he probably will. But I still don't want him on my team.Every game I've watched of his he's been HORRIBLE.

4 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I'm the first to admit that I don't. I don't watch CFB enough. I do know that the NFL is so starved for QB talent that you're right, he probably will. But I still don't want him on my team.Every game I've watched of his he's been HORRIBLE.

He had zero time to pass in the Bowl game. Scouts can see past the effects of poor performance by the supporting cast. I don't understand why people find it so hard to do.