Raiders Oficially Hire Jon Gruden as Next HC - Presser Scheduled for 1/9/18

26CornerBlitz

5 minutes ago, BLoFanatic said:

I like Gruden as a commentator. He knows football and gives good insight. 

I’m OK with that. Do NOT make him my coach or I’m out until he’s gone. I was in SW FL while he was the Buc’s coach. NOT well loved. We had some unpleasant personal experience as well. 

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Oakland is preparing to pursue ESPN analyst Jon Gruden with an offer so strong it could even include an ownership stake in the Raiders, according to league sources.

Gruden will be tempted to accept it, according to sources, but would prefer not to make any decisions until the regular season finishes Sunday and the Raiders make a final determination on their current head coach, Jack Del Rio, who signed a contract extension last summer.

But Oakland long has appealed to Gruden for a variety of reasons. He would return to an organization he didn't want to leave in 2001, he would inherit a young quarterback in Derek Carr whom he feels strongly about, and he would get to coach a team that is slated to move in 2020 to Las Vegas, where he would not have to pay state tax, as he does now in Florida, where he currently lives. Gruden's contract even could be backloaded to pay him more in the Nevada years and lessen his tax burden during the Oakland ones.

Hope it happens just for curiosity sake.

Dick Vermeil came back , I think Gruden can too.

Stuff like this doesn't speak to Gruden's competence; it speaks to the widespread incompetence across the NFL coaching community.

The really competent guys who have it together and are capable of sustained, organized success over a long period of time are few.

Dozens of pretenders come and go in the meantime.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Stuff like this doesn't speak to Gruden's competence; it speaks to the widespread incompetence across the NFL coaching community.

The really competent guys who have it together and are capable of sustained, organized success over a long period of time are few.

Dozens of pretenders come and go in the meantime.

Add McD to the contenders list.

12 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Oakland is preparing to pursue ESPN analyst Jon Gruden with an offer so strong it could even include an ownership stake in the Raiders, according to league sources.

Gruden will be tempted to accept it, according to sources, but would prefer not to make any decisions until the regular season finishes Sunday and the Raiders make a final determination on their current head coach, Jack Del Rio, who signed a contract extension last summer.

But Oakland long has appealed to Gruden for a variety of reasons. He would return to an organization he didn't want to leave in 2001, he would inherit a young quarterback in Derek Carr whom he feels strongly about, and he would get to coach a team that is slated to move in 2020 to Las Vegas, where he would not have to pay state tax, as he does now in Florida, where he currently lives. Gruden's contract even could be backloaded to pay him more in the Nevada years and lessen his tax burden during the Oakland ones.

There is no State income tax in Florida. There is a 6% sales tax. There is also no State income tax in Nevada but there is a 6.85% sales tax. The story is flawed.

12 hours ago, Doc said:

...and incredibly stupid.

Why?

12 hours ago, papazoid said:

the other owners would need to approve if an ownership stake was involved

not sure they'd be in a hurry to start that precedent

Why would the owners need to approve this?  He would not be the principal owner.  Doesn't Serena Williams own a sliver of the Dolphins?

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why?

Why would the owners need to approve this?  He would not be the principal owner.  Doesn't Serena Williams own a sliver of the Dolphins?

Majority owner: Stephen M. Ross, 74

Minority owners: Gloria Estefan, 57; Emilio Estefan, 61; Marc Anthony, 46; Venus Williams, 34; Serena Williams, 33; Fergie, 39.

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Majority owner: Stephen M. Ross, 74

Minority owners: Gloria Estefan, 57; Emilio Estefan, 61; Marc Anthony, 46; Venus Williams, 34; Serena Williams, 33; Fergie, 39.

See? Did any of that require other owners' approval?