Remembering the IK Enemkpali Fiasco

BuffaloRush

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

One of the most forgettable but embarrassing moments of the Rex Ryan regime was the bizarre decision to not only sign IK Enemkpali, but to actually try to use him on the field.  If you recall IK got into a beef with Geno Smith for not paying back some money he borrowed.  As a way to settle the score, IK sucker punched Geno breaking his jaw which would keep him off the field for a few weeks.  As a result, IK was released from the Jets.

The year before, Rex Ryan did not want to draft Geno Smith but he was overruled by the Jets front office.  Geno struggled quite a bit during his rookie year which helped result in Rex getting fired.

So as a way to say FU to the Jets organization and Geno, Rex signed IK the day after he was released.  It was seen as a very petty move, as IK had little to offer the Bills Top 5 defense.  Not only did Rex sign him, but he put him in the mix for starting LB despite the fact he looked like crap in the preseason.  Then he went and made IK a captain when the Bills played the Jets for the first time to further add insult to injury.  

Sadly, IK did get playing time for the Bills and he was atrocious.  He playing in 11 games and recorded a whopping 9 tackles and had 0 sacks.  

All of this - because Rex wanted to say FU to the Jets.  Unbelievable.    This moments gets overlooked quite a bit but man, was it bad,

One of the many embarrassing Rex Ryan moves.  

Brandon should be fired for talking the Pegula’s into hiring Ryan. That won’t happen but it sure says a lot about how things were run.  

2 hours ago, Idandria said:

This goes to show what an amateur Pegula is. Coerced Marrone to quit, and overlooks Schwartz to coach as we had a top 5 defense. 

He instead hires Rex! The  bozo ruins the D, brings in bad players from the crappy Jets, hires his own BROTHER! It all rolls up under Pegula. What an owner!

Brandon.

49 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Whatever you think of IK, I don't think you can really know Rex's motivation for signing him.  

Maybe so - but many in the media had said on the day when the Bills signed IK (immediately after he was released) Rex was smiling "like the cat who swallowed the canary."   Of course we can't know his motivations, but based on everything we know about Rex (from press, Hard Knocks, and Collision Low Crossers) and what the media has speculated you know he got a charge out of signing the guy that punched out the Jets QB.

7 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

One of the many embarrassing Rex Ryan moves.  

Brandon should be fired for talking the Pegula’s into hiring Ryan. That won’t happen but it sure says a lot about how things were run.  

Did you notice that about a year after Rex was hired, Brandon was officially removed from anything having to do with football operations.  I think Terry recognized his involvement on the football side of the team was a problem.  

1 minute ago, JPP said:

The worst moments about Rexy's tenure was certainly not IK......but yeah that was a waste bringing him over IMO.....

I disagree...IK is a player that wouldn't make many NFL rosters at the time.  Rex put him on the field in a prominent role and he sucked.  The decisions really hurt the football team.  Go back and watch the film. He was terrible

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Did you notice that about a year after Rex was hired, Brandon was officially removed from anything having to do with football operations.  I think Terry recognized his involvement on the football side of the team was a problem.  

I disagree...IK is a player that wouldn't make many NFL rosters at the time.  Rex put him on the field in a prominent role and he sucked.  The decisions really hurt the football team.  Go back and watch the film. He was terrible

I agree he did suck pretty much......was just saying some of the other things rexy did during his time here......for me the biggest one was when he brought in Rob...lol......at first i just thought it was a cruel joke...than reality set in.....

5 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Sure hope so. I know everyone around here always dismisses Brandon’s role in anything relating to the “on field product”, but he’s the president of the team. To think he has (or maybe more importantly

had) nothing to do with it would be insane. He smells like a snake oil salesman that’s full of himself, and that seems to be confirmed by some posters around here that have interacted with him. 

The Bills picked up a guy that the HC was familiar with, played a position of need, and was familiar with the system.

Wow.  

8 hours ago, The_Dude said:

Rex’s Bills were such a freak show. McDermott may not have an idea on how to get the offense going but at least his team isn’t a freak show. 

At least with McCoach we have not had 15 defensive players on the field at the same time . . . oh wait, never mind.

Edited by Peter

6 hours ago, Peter said:

The Bills picked up a guy that the HC was familiar with, played a position of need, and was familiar with the system.

Wow.  

At least with McCoach we have not had 15 defensive players on the field at the same time . . . oh wait, never mind.

Yeah they got caught for sure. Brady will rush the snap every time. Can’t blame him because it’s only smart football.