Is There a More Boring Holiday Than Christmas?

Gugny

2 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

It's snowing in Erie again

I am leaving after work on Thursday at 06:00, driving through Erie.  I read Girard got pounded!  Leaving back through on Tuesday.

There better be snow!

Oh, if the family sleigh gets stuck... Can I look your fam up in Erie...  I sleep in UnderArmour leggings and boxers... But, no worries, got 4x4, not the first and won't be the last time I white knucked it through that stretch of I-90/I-79... But it's nice to have a back-up plan! ;)

Thanks for counting on you guys!  :P

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am leaving after work on Thursday at 06:00, driving through Erie.  I read Girard got pounded!  Leaving back through on Tuesday.

There better be snow!

Oh, if the family sleigh gets stuck... Can I look your fam up in Erie...  I sleep in UnderArmour leggings and boxers... But, no worries, got 4x4, not the first and won't be the last time I white knucked it through that stretch of I-90/I-79... But it's nice to have a back-up plan! ;)

Thanks for counting on you guys!  :P

On a serious note you may want to adjust your route

There are restrictions on I79 and I90

Millcreek and some of the smaller towns have prohibited any vehicle without snow tires or chains from driving until the city plows clear the streets.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, /dev/null said:

Millcreek and some of the smaller towns have prohibited any vehicle without snow tires or chains from driving until the city plows clear the streets.

Thanks!

Wow... Truck has all-seasons, M+S... But NOT dedicated snows.  That works with 4x4 in mountains of CA & CO... But gotta carry chains... Maybe I should hit AutoZone and buy a set... Handy to have.  Not sure if they stock them here though... Maybe Cleveland?

Oh... And throw the snowshoes in for good measure we brought for the Snowvember trip we made a few years ago.  I wasn't sure my father's street was gonna be cleared so we were ready to shoe in! 

LoL... Love the Lake Effect can do attitude! :D

30 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not sure if this is on topic... :D. Never boring.  My sister near St. Albans, VT always sends out homemade, natural evergreen wreaths at holidays, been doing this for 20+ years.  Well, this year, she said she sent it out weeks ago... Had to convene with USDA, get special permission to ship outside "gypsy moth quarantine" of New England, New York.  Okay, she jumped thru the enviro hoops.  It never came by USPS.  So I finally had to text her Christmas Eve, even against my wife's tender sensibilities.  She tracked package... It said to call: "Customer Support."  Well she did... But it seems the effers at Post Office don't work Holidays like Christmas and Christmas Eve!

You got some 'splaining to do Lucy (Howard, Fergy, and Gug), rain, sleet, or snow my arse!

Well... Anyway, Christmas wreath drama.  I shoot off a few texts that "maybe the truck crashed."  She calls today and says that USPS said there was a truck fire on route from Nashua, NH and unfortunately, "wreath perished." So sad!  Not the only thing that perished in New England this December (the Bills).

Okay... Is the USPS rigged like the NFL?  They are giving her 15 bucks back and $50 insurance.  NFL... <_< So Postal Service has that going for it!

Did they lie and burn it after finding a gypsy moth?  Are they pissed we are sending Vermont Asian carp?

Thanks for your service all you postal workers out there.  They did tell my sister that truck driver is okay!  The driver probably got 45 days "traumatic leave" off.  I know how this works, I am a Fed employee.  And the postal carrier that watched this scorch earth operation probably was triggered also and got 45 days off too.

What a tangled web we weave when first we try to deceive!  Thanks for wrecking my Christmas, the spot light on house now is  shown on the empty brick face where my Vermont Holiday wreath should hang... In remembrance of the fallen winter greenery that met its untimely fate in the "Live Free or Die" state.  Why the heck was truck going towards Boston, down I-89 and not I-87 and west? Too cheap to get across Lake Champlain?  Don't USPS have Ice Road Truckers?

Christmas conspiracy!

I get mail from Lexington,Kentucky every week.It always arrived within three days,it's 5 days now.Also,if you send something out on a Sunday from Buffalo..that piece of mail/package spends a day in Rochester....the USPS has been cutting back for years..odds are it will only get worse.

41 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Clearly you've never celebrated Arbor Day.

My grandmother was born on Groundhogs Day. My father liked to point that out. I don’t think my mother appreciated just how much he enjoyed that. Plenty of ho-hum options out there...

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

You're confusing peace with boredom, which I can totally understand.

Being snowed/iced in for multiple days compounded the boredom situation.

I also enjoy occasional days of having nothing to do and enjoying an entire day of peace.  I had one of those on Friday because of snow.  Then another on Saturday because of ice/freezing rain.  Sunday was great, as I we got out of the house and spent a solid 4 hours with family at my parents' house.  Yesterday ... another snowstorm, followed by wind gusts that drifted snow back onto the roads and immediately froze it.

So my biggest gripe is the weather for the majority of the weekend.

And mind you, I haven't had 5 consecutive days off from work in years.  Possibly double digits.  I was just hoping for a bit more and, at the very least, to have some options.

Rant over.  But I, too, have a desire for peace.

Read a !@#$ing book. Here's one right up your crooked alley.  https://www.amazon.com/Life-Real-Dummies-Totally-Clueless/dp/0060952075

Edited by Cripple Creek

16 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Millcreek?Small world...me and my bride go to presque isle every august.That island is so peaceful...also we go to cho choo's for a couple drinks in the evening.

7 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Getting back on topic, spent Christmas Eve at the in-laws, small crowd this year, only 22 if us, eating and opening some presents. Too much food, a lot of leftovers for the rest of the week. Then Christmas Day off to my parents, through a lake effect storm. Got stuck in a line of cars because the lead person thought anything over 15mph in a 55 zone was crazy. I would have been going 30 or so, it wasn’t that bad. Then repeat of last night, more food, too much made, lots of leftovers, and opening more presents. Nothing Bills related this year thankfully. 

Point blank

Ppl tht drive fast in storms are retarded and risk lives

You will get there when you get their a******

52 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Millcreek?Small world...me and my bride go to presque isle every august.That island is so peaceful...also we go to cho choo's for a couple drinks in the evening.

"Not Quite an Island" = French translation of: Presque.

:P

Back in the late 1980s & 1990s that beach erosion project was one of the first hydro surveys I worked on w/Corps of Engineers... Building those stone breakwaters. Talking hand soundings all along beaches, checking for voids on construction, launching boat in harbor and running around point, etc... They have been a huge success, won engineering awards... Saved Presque Isle and one of the truly gr8 natural harbors on The Lakes from certain destruction.  The way they are set up, they self-nourish the beaches with sand and protect from destructive storms.  Quite a success!  Some stone mounds you can actually walk out to now.  That project was a total 180° from how they use to deal with beach erosion, by putting in perpendicular groins, sheetpiling. I think the project was computer modeled... One of the early ones  In old days, we would have to rely on trucking in sand or hydraulically dredging it to the beaches from miles out in Lake.  

FWIW...

12 minutes ago, bbb said:

I would die..............And, being on a beach on Christmas Day is not appealing to me, either.  Any day but Christmas.

Same here... Our older sister is always sending beach pics at Christmas... From S.Fla.  Gee, very nice, but no thanx!

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"Not Quite an Island" = French translation of: Presque.

:P

Back in the late 1980s & 1990s that beach erosion project was one of the first hydro surveys I worked on w/Corps of Engineers... Building those stone breakwaters. Talking hand soundings all along beaches, checking for voids on construction, launching boat in harbor and running around point, etc... They have been a huge success, won engineering awards... Saved Presque Isle and one of the truly gr8 natural harbors on The Lakes from certain destruction.  The way they are set up, they self-nourish the beaches with sand and protect from destructive storms.  Quite a success!  Some stone mounds you can actually walk out to now.  That project was a total 180° from how they use to deal with beach erosion, by putting in perpendicular groins, sheetpiling. I think the project was computer modeled... One of the early ones  In old days, we would have to rely on trucking in sand or hydraulically dredging it to the beaches from miles out in Lake.  

FWIW...

Same here... Our older sister is always sending beach pics at Christmas... From S.Fla.  Gee, very nice, but no thanx!

Interesting read..thanks.The first thing on my brides mind when we get there is crooked river chili.. Not forgetting,I have a sister/bil in Fla as well.They are selling and moving back up here to Lancaster..they really miss family,old friends and the food.I guess sunshine and hot weather can only buy you a certain amount of happiness.

Edited by Misterbluesky

Boring can be nice at times.  New Years Day usually feels boring to me.  Sometimes I'd go into work as I get paid time and a half.

It's New Years Eve where the activity happens.  Hell may need the next day off just to recover from being around relatives.   :lol:  Plus we'll know if the drought continues. 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

As with yesterday the best Christmases, besides my first 12 with toys piled to the moon, are a quiet afternoon and dinner with family sitting in front of a fire and sipping some booze and just letting the elders talk away while I restore energy in appreciation.

7 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Anything with an eve and a day risks some degree of boredom. I think You need To choose which day to live it up. For us Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day are the big days, while Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve are more low key. 

What about Easter:

Święconka

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Święconka

Ever get your baskets blessed on Holy Saturday?  Very loooow key.  Unless your one of the lucky ones and your parish throws in & does the "blessing of the pets."  Always gets interesting when my defiantly independent wife decides to bring the cats to hang out with the sea of dogs... Then the party starts jumping! :D

Easter has to be the most low key. Especially Good Friday between Noon & 3pm... My mother would cover up all the mirrors in the house and you'd have to pray for three solid hours on Good Friday.

Heck, all of Holy Week is low key! Eve upon eve with a betrayal & denial.... How depressing could a week get!

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What about Easter:

Święconka

Ever get your baskets blessed on Holy Saturday?  Very loooow key.  Unless your one of the lucky ones and your parish throws in & does the "blessing of the pets."  Always gets interesting when my defiantly independent wife decides to bring the cats to hang out with the sea of dogs... Then the party starts jumping! :D

Easter has to be the most low key. Especially Good Friday between Noon & 3pm... My mother would cover up all the mirrors in the house and you'd have to pray for three solid hours on Good Friday.

Heck, all of Holy Week is low key! Eve upon eve with a betrayal & denial.... How depressing could a week get!

Easter, springtime..that works for the OP.  All he is worried about is his personal gratification.

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What about Easter:

Święconka

You wouldn't happen to have a sister named Carrie, would you?