Seahawks fans and Pete Carroll

I'm still mad at Pete Carroll for handing the Pats a superbowl a few years back.   His OC Bevell called the interception play, but ultimately the HC approves every call, and his failure to simply pound Lynch in there against a reeling defense gave the championship away.   The lesson there is don't get cute and tricky unless it's a last resort.

This year sneaky Pete pulled another stupid call that very likely cost them the game against the Falcons in a divisional matchup that now appears it would have had them in the middle of the playoff hunt.  They're now a full game back from Atlanta and probably won't be in the post season.   

Most of you guys probably saw the play, it was in primetime at the end of the 1st half.  Seattle up 21-20 with time running out, on the Falcons 18 yard line.  Instead of knocking the chip shot kick through, Pete decides to call a fake field goal.   Its a jet sweep sort of play but the runner is a backup TE and he gets nailed.  Half over, and that failure to convert was the ultimate difference in the game.

The problem wasn't so much the play itself but the decision to run it in that situation. Willson the has good speed for a tight end, but expecting him to get around the edge and outrun Atlanta's defense 20 yards to the end zone is just plain stupidity. He said something later about them thinking that at worst, Willson would run out of bounds to stop the clock, there also was a risk that he could be tackled short of the goal line and time would expire before Seattle could call a timeout. The clock went from seven seconds at the start of the play to four when it ended, and Willson never even made it out of the backfield.

It was once again, getting cute and tricky and costing your team the whole season.

I bring this up today because I saw some Seahawks posters online blaming the officials for costing Pittsburgh the game Sunday, and this thread turned into the Seahawks fans claiming the NFL is rigged against them and a lot of other teams like Pitt.   I replied that they had the worst game coach in the NFL in sneaky Pete, and they wanted to kill me.

Are we that blind as Bills fans too?

2 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I'm still mad at Pete Carroll for handing the Pats a superbowl a few years back.   His OC Bevell called the interception play, but ultimately the HC approves every call, and his failure to simply pound Lynch in there against a reeling defense gave the championship away.   The lesson there is don't get cute and tricky unless it's a last resort.

This year sneaky Pete pulled another stupid call that very likely cost them the game against the Falcons in a divisional matchup that now appears it would have had them in the middle of the playoff hunt.  They're now a full game back from Atlanta and probably won't be in the post season.   

Most of you guys probably saw the play, it was in primetime at the end of the 1st half.  Seattle up 21-20 with time running out, on the Falcons 18 yard line.  Instead of knocking the chip shot kick through, Pete decides to call a fake field goal.   Its a jet sweep sort of play but the runner is a backup TE and he gets nailed.  Half over, and that failure to convert was the ultimate difference in the game.

The problem wasn't so much the play itself but the decision to run it in that situation. Willson the has good speed for a tight end, but expecting him to get around the edge and outrun Atlanta's defense 20 yards to the end zone is just plain stupidity. He said something later about them thinking that at worst, Willson would run out of bounds to stop the clock, there also was a risk that he could be tackled short of the goal line and time would expire before Seattle could call a timeout. The clock went from seven seconds at the start of the play to four when it ended, and Willson never even made it out of the backfield.

It was once again, getting cute and tricky and costing your team the whole season.

I bring this up today because I saw some Seahawks posters online blaming the officials for costing Pittsburgh the game Sunday, and this thread turned into the Seahawks fans claiming the NFL is rigged against them and a lot of other teams like Pitt.   I replied that they had the worst game coach in the NFL in sneaky Pete, and they wanted to kill me.

No, we're actually persecuted by the officials, unlike seachickens.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I hear your point about Carroll and getting too fancy, but it's hard to blame an entire season on 1 mistake by the head coach who cost them 3 points before half time

21 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

He got the team to 2 Super Bowls and won the first one. They've been a contender since he was hired. They're having a tough year. I think he's pretty obnoxious on the sidelines but his record speaks for itself.

I like Derek Bevell.  He built that whole offense around the strengths of his QB.  That is running around, improvising,  and throwing deep.  If Seattle had a more conventional square peg/round hole OC like ours, they'd still not be very good with RW trying to be a pocket passer.  He is a smart OC even though RW blew the play that caused the pick in the Super Bowl.

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I like Derek Bevell.  He built that whole offense around the strengths of his QB.  That is running around, improvising,  and throwing deep.  If Seattle had a more conventional square peg/round hole OC like ours, they'd still not be very good with RW trying to be a pocket passer.  He is a smart OC even though RW blew the play that caused the pick in the Super Bowl.

I think Bevell made the call, rather than running Marshawn Lynch.  Funny how talk of Bevell being a HC candidate dried up after that SB loss.

52 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

The discussion is league wide (excluding Pats fans that come here and defend it) as fans are sick and tired of the BS officiating, myself included. 

I don't get how the league is rigged against the Seahawks though? I can show you and obvious pass interference last year directly in front of a Ref that was not flagged when we played them.

in the SB, was just a bad call period.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

And we know a thing or two - or thirty - about ****ty coaches.

If a Bills fan says your coach is bad, your coach is bad...because we know.  Just like if a Browns fan says your franchise is mismanaged.

I would disagree that Pete is the worst coaches in football, if anything he probably is a top 10 guy. I do think his game mgmt leaves a lot to be desired and I do believe he wanted Wilson to win MVP to prop him up higher which is why that pass happened in the SB even though he should've just ran the dam ball. I also think his inability to own his mistake in the SB which was well reported to divide his locker room with D vs O has come back to bite him a bit here. That team since the SB loss has not looked the same and there is a noticeable vibe that differs between the two sides of that roster.

That said the Seahawks have had a very good run here, they have won a SB and played in 2, dominated the division for almost a decade and without injuries would most likely be in the playoffs right now. Pete Carroll does deserve a lot of credit for this, although I understand Bills fans having a grudge for his failure to beat our hated rival with the worst call in the history of the Super Bowl.

Edited by corta765

52 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I have a pet conspiracy theory that all the officiating nonsense the Bills have seen the past 15+ years has been payback for the blistering letter Ralph Wilson sent to the league after the "Just Give It To 'Em" game.

Which is still the most atrocious officiating I have ever seen.  

That game and his choking to the throat sign he made at Norwood when he was a Jests coach stick out in my mind as the two rankest Carroll memories I have about that douche bag. He had the Pats*** go for 2 when The Bills walked off the field in protest for that abortion of a call. :angry:

31 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think Bevell made the call, rather than running Marshawn Lynch.  Funny how talk of Bevell being a HC candidate dried up after that SB loss.

I read an article where Butler said he was able to jump the play and get the pick because when they came out of the huddle, RW looked out at the WR and signaled something to him.  He knew if it was a run up the gut there was no need to signal anything to the WR.  So he jumped the route and you know the rest.  There was also horrible execution by the 2 WRs on that play.

It wasn't all Bevell's fault.  It was team F$ck up.  And most of it on RW and the WRs IMHO.

I miss sneaky Pete the Patriot's coach. I could always count on him to out coach himself to help us win.

I believe his success in Seattle is largely attributed to his time at USC and knowing the college talent entering the NFL.

Just now, Uncle Joe said:

I miss sneaky Pete the Patriot's coach. I could always count on him to out coach himself to help us win.

I believe his success in Seattle is largely attributed to his time at USC and knowing the college talent entering the NFL.

Except when the refs helped him out by called PI on a Hail Mary.  Ironic that the Hawks got the big win vs the Cheese because the refs DIDN'T call a flagrant one.

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Except when the refs helped him out by called PI on a Hail Mary.  Ironic that the Hawks got the big win vs the Cheese because the refs DIDN'T call a flagrant one.

IIRC that was Golden Tate that got away with that BS call in his rookie year. He's had a pretty good career since. 

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I have a pet conspiracy theory that all the officiating nonsense the Bills have seen the past 15+ years has been payback for the blistering letter Ralph Wilson sent to the league after the "Just Give It To 'Em" game.

Which is still the most atrocious officiating I have ever seen.  

Pete Carroll was the Pats Head Coach; I wanted to slug that goofy smile off his face that day!