Has officiating ever NOT been a problem?

Steptide

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

IMO the officiating is quite good.  When we scrutinize every inch and slow things down to the microsecond.... its impossible to look good 100% of the time.

We saw what can happen with the replacement refs.  We had bad calls, rules were misunderstood/not enforced correctly, and quite rapidly the fabric of the game was being torn.  After about 4 weeks games were all devolving into numerous skirmishes, large scale arguments with the refs, etc.  

Suh punched Taylor in the head - no call

Shady gets tackled by the face mash  - no call

Quite good?   I can't imagine what bad is.  

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Loved the replacement refs. I don't have the exact stat, but the Bills played the Pats in the first game back with the "real" refs.Up that point, Pats were averaging something 9 penalties a game. Bet my Pats fan friend going into the Bills game, they would have less than 3 against the Bills. They got one, an offside on a kickoff late in the 4th.

Bills got thumped, least I won $50.

I will always remember that for some silly reason. 

Apparently they made that catch rule in 1999. I guess I get it.. makes a catch completely black and white. But just because I understand why the rule is what it is doesn't make it any less dumb.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Loved the replacement refs. I don't have the exact stat, but the Bills played the Pats in the first game back with the "real" refs.Up that point, Pats were averaging something 9 penalties a game. Bet my Pats fan friend going into the Bills game, they would have less than 3 against the Bills. They got one, an offside on a kickoff late in the 4th.

Bills got thumped, least I won $50.

Replacements cost me big on the fail Mary. Or was that the first week the real refs were back? I think it was the back breaker for the replacements.

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Replacements cost me big on the fail Mary. Or was that the first week the real refs were back? I think it was the back breaker for the replacements.

Fail mary was pretty much the nail in the coffin for replacement refs. They were pretty terrible.

3 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Not for nothing he is responsible for all replays. Not just Pats games

And I heard he goes against 90% of the people who they speak to at games..   Does he listen to them?  Maybe the game day guys should call the opposite mad he might get the call right.  

2 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

Like it or not, that's why the NHL has it better.  Put away the whistle and let the players decide.  Right now the NFL ref's play a relatively major role in determining a winner of the game

Maybe but didn't we have a controversial call on a goal in the cup finals?

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

And I heard he goes against 90% of the people who they speak to at games..   Does he listen to them?  Maybe the game day guys should call the opposite mad he might get the call right.  

I heard he is Santa Claus

Teams should be given the capability of throwing a red flag on any play in my humble opinion.

If a penalty is missed it gets called, If a penalty call is mistaken it gets corrected. 

You lose a timeout and the one chance to red flag a play when wrong.

48 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Really??  Which Bills TDs did you not immediately celebrate Sunday?

Most TD's are pretty obvious and the review lasts about one viewing, I would bet. 

Plenty to celebrate. 

Not just for review, but for flags. When I am at the game, I can see a flag on the ground or not, and makes it easier. Shadys first TD this past week saw the flag fly on the corner of the screen, no celebration. The second one is just waiting for confirmation no flags were thrown, as you just cant see the whole field from the TV. And not just TD's. Tre Whiltes forced fumble in the Tampa game basically occurred right in front of us, but the way the players were positioned could not tell when ball came out, no celebration till confirmed. Same with his TD in Atlanta.

I just hate replay and the all the flags, think it hurts the game.

16 minutes ago, kota said:

In my opinion instant replay needs to be removed from the game.  It's causing the Ref's to not be at the top of their game.

agreed!

Anybody else worried about The Bills scoring the game winning TD to take the lead on Sunday......and celebrate....and the officials call excessive celebration for the first time all year......We kick off from way back and Brady gets the ball out near midfield with 20 secs left.....and the two G-skis ......you know the rest! My Nightmare!

Just now, kota said:

It's called being human.  If you have a way out of a situation it can cause you to be sloppy.

Instant replay was a way to reverse obviously blown calls.  No one would be satisfied now with the way it was then. 

This isn't new or different.  It's impossible then to conclude that it is now causing refs not to be at the top of their game.

7 hours ago, Steptide said:

Yesterday I commented on a post on Instagram about the incomplete pass that should've been a touchdown in the steelers Patriots game. My comment basically said the rule is stupid and steelers should've had a td. I was probably the 500th person to comment this, but Patriots fans being Patriots fans, didn't take it to well. 

It got me thinking though, back when I started watching the bills as a die hard fan (1999ish) I don't recall the refs dictating games the way they do now. I know from watching football since I was a kid, their has always been questionable calls, but I feel like it's now to a degree where games are being determined by calls the refs make where as I don't remember that in years past. Having said that, our last playoff game was lost due to a questionable call on a forward pass. So I guess it's always happened. You don't seem to see it as much in the college game though, even though their is way more games and players in college football. 

The NFL is clearly geared toward entertainment. Large markets and opening new stadiums are in the best interest of the NFL. Unfortunately the Bills will often get the short end of the stick because we don’t offer the most value to the league. 

They seem to make the rules more anal retentive every year.  When you combine that with the speed and strength of the players increasing every year along with (seemingly anyway) the age of the referees and do the math, it's easy to see why more mistakes are being made now.  

HD TV as well as other technology improvements also makes it much easier to notice the mistakes.

Edited by CodeMonkey

When instant replay was brought in to the NFL, the hope was that it could be used to eliminate egregious errors.  Instead we've got refs scrutinizing every aspect of a catch down to the finest detail, coaches challenging the spot of the football, and still seemingly no end to the bad calls that determine the outcome of games.  I'm coming to view it like the idea of measuring for first downs, that is, a fine level of precision based on garbage data (I always laugh when refs eyeball where the ball should be after a play, then trot out the chains, introducing more variables, then measure to the inch).

I wouldn't have said this a few years ago, but maybe it's time to eliminate instant replay.  Is it actually adding anything to the game, or just slowing it down?

To me it stems to this. Somewhere in the early 2000s when we got replay we went mentally from just getting the basic calls right foot in bounds, ball over goal line, was the knee down etc.. to making every catch, TD, tackle, fumble, you name it into the dam Zapruder film. Additionally do not under estimate the amount of rule changes the NFL has had starting in 03 on that has emphasized the offense more and made the game far more complicated for how a defender can even tackle an opposing player. This also has created a situation where if Tom Brady or Drew Brees is grazed remotely wrong its a flag immediately, yet if your a lesser QB you most likely do not get that call. That's a really bad look for the NFL and only imbalances the rich from the poor league wise.

I would honestly like to see a bit of a pull back on calls and replay. It is just too much and the amount of times a play is called back because of an insanely light hold that doesn't need to be call is astonishing. This season especially really seems to have had that a lot IMO. The NFL needs to do some work to clean up its game because its too messy with flags and rules to the point no one knows what a catch is.

10 hours ago, Steptide said:

Yesterday I commented on a post on Instagram about the incomplete pass that should've been a touchdown in the steelers Patriots game. My comment basically said the rule is stupid and steelers should've had a td. I was probably the 500th person to comment this, but Patriots fans being Patriots fans, didn't take it to well. 

It got me thinking though, back when I started watching the bills as a die hard fan (1999ish) I don't recall the refs dictating games the way they do now. I know from watching football since I was a kid, their has always been questionable calls, but I feel like it's now to a degree where games are being determined by calls the refs make where as I don't remember that in years past. Having said that, our last playoff game was lost due to a questionable call on a forward pass. So I guess it's always happened. You don't seem to see it as much in the college game though, even though their is way more games and players in college football. 

More and better replays

better access access to the full slate of games 

more and better access to fellow fans to complain with

more shows talking about it

if anything, odds are the refs have never been better. They have more training, access to reviews, etc...