Military pension, 38 yrs old. Now what??

westerndecline

2 hours ago, westerndecline said:

All my basic bills are paid for I have a little bit of money saved up goalie emergency funds but all I can do now or things to do right now is develop of workout routine which I just started other than that I am extremely extremely bored and ideas

Well, I am retired military as well.  Either complete your education or go to school for a trade that you enjoy.  There is a lot of life to be lived and it is very easy to get into a rut when one leaves the military.

That retirement check is nice but won't pay all the bills, unless you are very frugal.

I have so many ideas for you. 

Better stay living with mom and dad. Continue your freeloading. 

20 year military pension not that much and  20 years from now you will be standing on the street corner begging for money. 

Go down and volunteer at the soup kitchen. 

Become a Walmart greeter. 

Want fries with that? 

Just a few to get you started. 

I am sure others will pitch in with other ideas. 

Thanks for your service... there are several employers in the area that are military friendly, and state jobs should offer you veterans preference when it comes to hiring... tell you what, I will give you MY military benefits if you locate, track down, and physically assault Howard so bad that he spends some time in the ICU... Shirl and I could use some sexy time...

Get an RV and go live off the grid. Make sure it has a solar panel so you get free electricity and that it has self-contained water and a sewer system.

You can live rent free at RV parks all across the nation and they don't even charge you for air!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, westerndecline said:

All my basic bills are paid for I have a little bit of money saved up goalie emergency funds but all I can do now or things to do right now is develop of workout routine which I just started other than that I am extremely extremely bored and ideas

You could become a lock operator, no prior experience or skill needed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I retired at 41. It is very, very nice. "Retired" to me is not having to work for a paycheck. It doesn't mean you do not choose to work, it just means you can afford not to if so inclined. (FU money is also great!)

As far as what to do with yourself... school (college or trade school), police (if you were an MP), another civil servent testing job (fireman, water authority, etc) as many public sector jobs give preference to vets. 

Good luck with the next chapter in your life, and thank you for your service.

• Like (+1) 1

You worked hard for that pension young man and thanks for your service to our country. I also served this great nation for 60 years or more in the Postal service. I think you would like it there. i could make a few calls for you and if you wanted to serve again to ensure delivery of our correspondents and packages you could put another 20 years in the postal service and have two pensions. Its hard work but very rewarding for those of us who served over 30 years. I don't expect you will thank me for my service like I thanked you because most people think "serving the country" is just the four branches of the military but I was out on the front lines too. I served ten years in Lackawana, 8 years in Williamsville, did my biggest tour in South Buffalo for 24 years. keep it in mind as a possibility.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, westerndecline said:

You could learn English.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Howard said:

You worked hard for that pension young man and thanks for your service to our country. I also served this great nation for 60 years or more in the Postal service. I think you would like it there. i could make a few calls for you and if you wanted to serve again to ensure delivery of our correspondents and packages you could put another 20 years in the postal service and have two pensions. Its hard work but very rewarding for those of us who served over 30 years. I don't expect you will thank me for my service like I thanked you because most people think "serving the country" is just the four branches of the military but I was out on the front lines too. I served ten years in Lackawana, 8 years in Williamsville, did my biggest tour in South Buffalo for 24 years. keep it in mind as a possibility.

you...are...awesome.

6 minutes ago, Howard said:

Thank you for your service.

7 minutes ago, Howard said:

Wow, you're up early out in AZ. 

What time do you and Shirl begin your day?

Cream of Wheat or grits?

6 minutes ago, Howard said:

Thanks for your public service.  In your 24 years in S. Buffalo, you may have delivered to my boyhood home at 48 Alsace Ave (very near Caz Park).  Nice memories.