If Taylor finishes season strong, do we build around him/Dennison?

JerseyBills

11 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Says the guy who had 60 catches and 1,047 yds and 9tds in 13 games with Taylor and has 36 catches 563yds and 7TD's in 14 games this year.  I'd definately use that guy's statement.

Rams are too busy beating everyone into oblivion to care.   

I think Dennison is sold on Peterman as his backup.  I think a rookie and/or a vet will be brought in.  Pocket passer types.  If that happens there is no room or need for TT.

If TT somehow wins the heart and mind of Dennison within the next few weeks, then you don't bring in a different vet, you just keep TT around.  If that is the case, TT, Peterman and a rookie QB to be named later will be competing for the job.

26 minutes ago, Luka said:

The Peterman/Webb combo in a game where you couldn't see the ball it was snowing so hard, wasn't the worst passing performance of the season. That's all you have to know about our QB situation.

26 minutes ago, Luka said:

Since Hotrod's been here our winning percentage in games he started is .536.  .200 with everyone else.

Throw out all the good games and wins because he had a couple of bad games?  Really?

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

So you premise is that because we do not have high probability that we will get better we should stay mediocre because of sub-par play and abilities out of the QB position?  That is highly competitive of you.  Talk about settling.  I say keep drafting QB’s until you get one that you can truly build around because he is a good QB.  Enough with this stupid notion of “only if.”  Only if Tyrod had better WR’s (he did and they were not productive - for those of you who claim Woods and Watkins were the right combination).  Only if he had better protection (again TT has had as good if not better protection than most in the NFL - the line can’t help the fact that Tyrod has to be back there for an hour as he waits for his WR’s to get open “enough”), Only if the receivers caught everything that was somehow near their body even if they have to be an Olympic gymnast to be in position for the catch.

Tyrod is slow to make decisions and inaccurate with the ball.  Two qualities that have been on full display in his time in Buffalo.

I'm not settling.  I'm  just saying as a QB starved team we shouldn't just out and out dump a guy that while not an elite "franchise QB", is a very serviceable winning QB.  It's also going to cost us a lot of cap space if we do that.

We've won more than we've lost with him and  a team wins because of it's QB.  And most of those wins came with a really bad Rex defense.  Now with a better defense we're winning at a higher rate.  I believe that if we tightened up our defense more and got our offensive line and run game back to it's previous level, we could win a lot of games with Hotrod.

That said, we should absolutely be looking for a better QB.  Be it draft or FA or whatever.  

I don't want someone else, I want someone that we know gives us a better chance to win.  No possible maybes need apply.  We've finally gotten to the point where we are  winning team (2 games over since 2014).  I don't want to go backwards doing a science experiment.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Well this is just sheer and utter crap.  You did watch him in 2015 and 2016 when he had Sammy on the field, healthy, right?  :doh:

I did. I watched that game in Kansas City where Sammy was ruining the defensive backs all first half and then as the game got tight Tyrod came out 2nd half and threw it his way once. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I did. I watched that game in Kansas City where Sammy was ruining the defensive backs all first half and then as the game got tight Tyrod came out 2nd half and threw it his way once. 

Why?   The million dollar question.   

The same in the Raiders game.  

If ignoring  key players in games has become a habit it seems.  One that has carried into this season.   

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Why?   The million dollar question.   

The same in the Raiders game.  

If ignoring  key players in games has become a habit it seems.  One that has carried into this season.   

Maybe after Sammy or whoever else you're talking about had a good half, maybe the defense made some adjustments and they weren't open?  Maybe the OC called different plays?

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Maybe after Sammy or whoever else you're talking about had a good half, maybe the defense made some adjustments and they weren't open?  Maybe the OC called different plays?

3 years running with 3 different OC’s.  

This is is more than a mere coincidence is it not?  

What is is the common denominator?

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

How have the other QBs with these OCs fared in this department?

Hey, I prefer pocket passers and think it would be great if we had a really good one.  But thery're really hard to find.  I'm Just not willing to dump a guy we can win with to go with a rook for 3 years probably losing (based on percentages)  to find out if he's "The Guy".  

Unless something magical happens we won't be getting one of the top guys anyway.

How about we just try to win now for a change?

What other QB’s and where? 

Buffalo?   EJ ? Lol.   Nate?   

A Lynn?  Reading the press Lynn wanted Rivers to back off the pass and feature a run game.  

When that failed Lynn realized his mistake and let Rivers be who he is. A passing QB.   

There isnt anyone else is there? 

10 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Well 1 OC got fired because he approached game prep very poorly. Another is currently a HC. And the last one is still our OC.

If you want to blame Tyrod for Roman being fired then give him credit for getting Lynn promoted (literally the same season).

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Well 1 OC got fired because he approached game prep very poorly. Another is currently a HC. And the last one is still our OC.

If you want to blame Tyrod for Roman being fired then give him credit for getting Lynn promoted (literally the same season).

Rex fired Roman for too complex of a game plan that was used in a simpler form for Lynn.   

A Lynn realized that same thing did not work with the Chargers and adapted.   

There is a pattern and Buffalo has to figure out how to fix the problem.  

I bet A Lynn is very happy.  Are we?  

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Gonna disagree.

I'm not saying he will be back.  But it's foolish to say he's gone given the fact that this isn't just a matter of picking up an option or not.  It involves either:

-cutting him, taking a Cap hit and then finding a vet QB you're going to have to pay probably $2-$5 million in order to come in as a vet QB... at that point when you factor in the Cap hit we took for cutting Taylor along with the money to pay the vet QB, there's really not a ton of financial incentive to do it.

OR

-trading him.  But from what I understand about his contract I think we would have to trade him before the 4th day of the new league year, otherwise we have to give him a $6 million bonus, I believe.  We won't get that bonus back, even if we trade him on draft day in part of a package deal to trade up.

So I think this assumption Taylor is just automatically gone is foolish.  And people want to point out the relationship and how both sides are going to want a clean split.  I'm not in the locker room with these guys so I have no clue how the relationship actually is.  But McBeane don't really have to take Taylor's feelings into consideration because it's very simple: he's under contract.  And one thing I think about anyone would give Taylor is that he's a professional and would come back and be the ultimate team player, even if he's not overly happy, which might be an overblown assumption, anyway.

you mention foolish. it may be foolish to you if he were not in a bills uniform next year but lets just say he isn't, would it then of been foolish of you to think they should keep him?

opinions, I guess when not in line with your own are foolish?

at this point, everything is hypothetical and mixed opinions. my thought is, I believe it will depend on the next two games (if he has a strong showing I believe he could remain and compete for the starting position next off season) in determining his future.

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Rex fired Roman for too complex of a game plan that was used in a simpler form for Lynn.   

A Lynn realized that same thing did not work with the Chargers and adapted.   

There is a pattern and Buffalo has to figure out how to fix the problem.  

I bet A Lynn is very happy.  Are we?  

It wasn't just the game plan, it was the prep. The guys were practicing 80+ plays and weren't even running 50 in an entire game. Lower reps per play had a major effect on execution. Lynn dialed that back to 40-45 plays, doubled the reps and was willing to run the same play twice if it worked the first time.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It wasn't just the game plan, it was the prep. The guys were practicing 80+ plays and weren't even running 50 in an entire game. Lower reps per play had a major effect on execution. Lynn dialed that back to 40-45 plays, doubled the reps and was willing to run the same play twice if it worked the first time.

It worked for a little while and then again it got stagnant in late November and December. 

A strong run game is important and so is a strong passing game to compliment it.  

It could be all 3 OC’s and it could in part be because of Taylor.  

Your geuss is is as good as mine.  

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It worked for a little while and then again it got stagnant in late November and December. 

A strong run game is important and so is a strong passing game to compliment it.  

It could be all 3 OC’s and it could in part be because of Taylor.  

Your geuss is is as good as mine.  

Lot more factors to it than just those 2, but I'm sure you know that.

• Like (+1) 1

My opinion of Tyrod is he is average. In some games he dips below average. In some games he rises above average. I do feel like his downs are a little more frequent then his ups but the team still floats around 500 record.

I think people don't give him enough respect sometimes. I think others work way to hard defending him sometimes.

He isn't trash because he can take the ball and get a first down by himself. He also isn't that great because he can't always lead a consistent air attack and it's a weakness that forces the Bills to lean on the running game. We preach run first but at least they have to be able to lean on the  passing game and they can't for whatever reason. Some of the reason is Tyrod. 

I have a lot of respect for him. I respect anyone that will work hard to accomplish dreams. Not everybody will make it into the NFL so I tip my hat in respect he made it this far. I don't think his chances to stay a starter in Buffalo look good. He will definitely have competition for the starting position next year.

• Like (+1) 2

Win out and get into the playoffs....isnt that what we should all be rooting for instead of nit picking our QB.......what? think Peterman is gonna win out at the QB position....NO......play TT cause its our best chance....if they dont make the playoffs than continue the discussion on getting a top draft QB next year......which i would do regardless even if we retain TT........there are alot more issues on this offence than just the QB play far and large and if some cant see that than well.....pass the beer nuts.....

Edited by JPP

7 minutes ago, JPP said:

Win out and get into the playoffs....isnt that what we should all be rooting for instead of nit picking our QB.......what? think Peterman is gonna win out at the QB position....NO......play TT cause its our best chance....if they dont make the playoffs than continue the discussion on getting a top draft QB next year......which i would do regardless even if we retain TT........there are alot more issues on this offence than just the QB play far and large and if some cant see that than well.....pass the beer nuts.....

You're gonna need bigger beer nuts.

• Haha (+1) 1