Anyone else think we should use oleary more?

Steptide

2 hours ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

O'Leary has shown an ability to get open and catch passes even though he is not as athletic as Clay he still is capable of being productive and if he can work on his blocking he'll get more playing time simple as that. If we had a better o-line we wouldn't need the tight ends to be great blockers. He's our new Chris Hogan in TE form.

Except that he runs past the first down marker.

• Like (+1) 1

Underused but before criticism of his blocking is accepted as fact, it would be nice to see professionals (coaches, etc) opinion of him. Also, is he capable of improving? Understands how to get open and has shown good hands to date.

7 hours ago, CLTbills said:

O'Leary is definitely underrated as a pass-catcher, but we're a run-first team and the guy can't block. Would I love to see more pass plays designed for him? Yeah... but the problem is, other teams know that he can't block too... so it'll get to the point where other teams know that when he's on the field, we're not running behind him, or that we're throwing to him.

Dont want to make ourselves one-dimensional, especially when we have Charles Clay at our disposal.

I watched O’leary make some big plays and he was a big part of the offense at FSU , which BTW was also build around a strong running game , not every TE or WR is a great blocker but that doesn’t mean they can’t be a bigger part of the offense ,  

the problem is not O’leary in the running game , it’s  Tyrod with his limited passing game that’s a  problem  , 

Just imagine O’Leary in New England , 

Most of Buffalo's receiving options are under utilized.  BTW, O'Leary is supposed to be a decent blocker and not the liability in the run game that many tight ends are.  (Clay is also a good blocker.  Neither TE has the hulking size that you usually associate with a blocking TE, but their technique is good and they are willing to do it.

I would like a bigger backup tight end. Someone like Fumagalli front Wisconsin in the 4th Round would be a nice add if we could do it. 6’6” is hard to miss, and with the offense they want to run is like another TE option. With Clay’s health usually in question, I’d like a backup more suitable to start and more depth as well.