Zay Jones right now is a bust

Foreigner

3 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

You are being too generous. Mastery may come later, but by the second year if a WR from the first 3 rounds isnt showing more than a modicum of competency, it is highly unlikely he will ever be able to turn it around. 

I think Jones was pushed to start too soon and without good mentors, and maybe not really good coaching, either.  With Woods and Goodwin tearing it up on the Left Coast, it makes the kid look even worse.  He needs to make very significant improvement by early next season or calling him a bust is fair.  He really ought to be showing better than he is by now.

On 12/17/2017 at 11:21 PM, wppete said:

Stop it. He is not a bust.

+1 - Zay is not close to a bust.  He's done a decent job.  He'll be fine.  Really tired of these negative posts - it's time to get excited about the playoffs and cut the crap with these types of threads.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

+1 - Zay is not close to a bust.  He's done a decent job.  He'll be fine.  Really tired of these negative posts - it's time to get excited about the playoffs and cut the crap with these types of threads.

If Zay could catch a pass that hits him in the hands we'd be 9-5 and in the drivers seat.  

30 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Zay is a problem this season.  

Who was the problem last season when 20% of Taylors passes were uncatchable?

I posted the stats for people to see. 

If people refuse to read them and accept the data then the fault lies with the reader not accepting hard data.  

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

2015 - Was that when Brady lost pretty much all his WR's and Gronk for 6 or more games? 

So just to be clear Brady throwing to Edelman and Amendola, who had more games in 15 than Watkins and Woods did in 16,  gets a pass for injuries but Tyrod doesn't? 

40 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Zay is a problem this season.  

Who was the problem last season when 20% of Taylors passes were uncatchable?

I posted the stats for people to see. 

If people refuse to read them and accept the data then the fault lies with the reader not accepting hard data.  

Why don’t the other receivers suffer from it? Does he only miss Zay?!? The Bills other pass catchers have way higher catch percentages. It could be justified someone if he was averaging 20 yards a catch but he’s averaging 11. Look at the catch percentages of the other Bills. If you look at the league as a whole Zay is 74 of 74 eligible receivers. Last

39 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

It’s way too early to call him a bust. It’s too early to even panic but he has not been fine. He’s been very bad.

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Did I not say Zay has had problems?

I did.  

Now let’s talk about TT prior to Zay Jones. 

Go to one of the thousand TT threads if you want to talk about him. I’m sure you’ll have a lot of new stuff to bring to that discussion. The Zay Jones thread is a place to discuss Zay Jones.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s not asking much for him to not be the worst receiver of the last handful of seasons. The bar isn’t very high. I think that we all still believe he may be a player but he’s been awful so far and there’s no way around it. 74 out of 74 qualifying receivers.

I still hope that in time he will be a capable receiver. However, I don't know how anyone who has a scintilla of objectivity can not conclude that he arguably is the worst starting receiver in the league. Not only is he not catching the ball but when he does catch the ball it is often not done cleanly. What is also disturbing is that he has so far shown little ability to get open. It seems that on every throw to him he is blanketed by the defender. That killer attribute for a receiver is on him and not on the qb. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Beautiful cop out. 

In terms of what? We’ve already established that Zay has been WAY worse than OTHER BILLS RECEIVERS. They all play with the same QB. Why is he significantly worse than a guy like Deonte Thompson? 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I still hope that in time he will be a capable receiver. However, I don't know how anyone who has a scintilla of objectivity can not conclude that he arguably is the worst starting receiver in the league. Not only is he not catching the ball but when he does catch the ball it is often not done cleanly. What is also disturbing is that he has so far shown little ability to get open. It seems that on every throw to him he is blanketed by the defender. That killer attribute for a receiver is on him and not on the qb. 

I loved the pick. After watching him in the senior bowl I thought he could be a really good pro. He looked like the best player on the field. I still have a lot of hope for him but he has been awful.

Ju-Ju went a little later and looks like an explosive playmaker. That play he made Sunday was fantastic. He just took off and made a play. He gave his team a chance to win. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

In terms of what? We’ve already established that Zay has been WAY worse than OTHER BILLS RECEIVERS. They all play with the same QB. Why is he significantly worse than a guy like Deonte Thompson? 

I loved the pick. After watching him in the senior bowl I thought he could be a really good pro. He looked like the best player on the field. I still have a lot of hope for him but he has been awful.

Ju-Ju went a little later and looks like an explosive playmaker. That play he made Sunday was fantastic. He just took off and made a play. He gave his team a chance to win. 

I agree with you that Ju-Ju is a much more explosive and dynamic player. I get the impression that Zay will be helped when another faster and explosive receiver is added to the unit to create more open space. The problem I have with Zay and what his potential can be is that regardless what his time is in the forty you don't see much acceleration and quick twitch. Those are contributing factors for him being blanketed so much.  

It just seems to me that his production was so high in college that there has to be more production in the pro ranks. My worry is that there are players who are indistinguishable plug in players who bounce around in the league as inconsequential players. I hope that I am being too premature in my assessment but what I am seeing now has me very queasy. 

I find it interesting that Zay's detractors are still a small minority. Compare TJ Graham, a guy almost everyone seemed to hate from almost the very start. His first year:

58 targets, 31 catches (53.4%), 10.4 YPC.  Zay: 70 targets, 25 catches (35.7%), 11.6 YPC.  Is it time to give up on Zay? No, not yet. For one thing, there's nobody else knocking down the door to grab his role. But realistically he's got to show major improvement by the first few games of next season. TJ Graham actually put up worse numbers in his second season, and that finished him off. Zay is on the same path.

On 12/18/2017 at 1:14 PM, Foreigner said:

Zay Jones right now is a bust

No, no he's not.

That's like putting a roast in the oven and looking in after five minutes and saying, "This roast is unsuccessful, it's inedible as is."

Is he relatively unsuccessful so far? Yeah, Too soon to use the term bust in the first year, unless the guy's already out of the league.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, no he's not.

That's like putting a roast in the oven and looking in after five minutes and saying, "This roast is unsuccessful, it's inedible as is."

Is he relatively unsuccessful so far? Yeah, Too soon to use the term bust in the first year, unless the guy's already out of the league.

How come it didn't take Robert Woods or Sammy's roast that long to cook? They both came out of the chute catching the football.