More from obd

13 minutes ago, Dunkirk Don said:

price of admission for a franchise QB.  What did Philly trade for Wentz? or  Washington for RG3

What???  We are in week 15, they are already projecting draft slots

Yup. Look at the trade for Goff too. 

I suggest everyone read this piece, which is a classic example of "you're foolish to trade a lot of picks for the chance to draft a franchise qb because he might not be any good!"

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/05/03/the-tennessee-titans-won-the-jared-goff-trade-and-its-not-even-close/

Goff appears to be a LOT better than Mariota.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If they trade both #1s to Washington for Kirk Freakin' Cousins, I'm finally free of this franchise.

Why? I haven't formed a strong opinion yet, but I've seen a fair bit of Cousins and he has played like a near-elite level QB for 3 seasons now. He's not the problem with that franchise by a long shot.

24 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I would walk away from that trade.  I wouldn't want anything to do with a trade that involved the #1s. 

That kind of draft currency for Cousins is absurd.  And what did NE get for Garoppolo again? and Jimmy is probably better in the long run. 

I'm not sure I would trade all those picks for the #1 overall selection in 2018, but I'd rather have that option than Cousins.  

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 1

Cousins holds all the cards in DC.   There is no need to trade them anything at all.  

Cousind soes not havce to sign the restricted FA tag if DC is dumb enough to do that again.  The unrestricted TAG is not a contract but an option to match any OFFER given to him. 

24 minutes ago, Dunkirk Don said:

Dunkirk Don signing off for the Holidays . Hope you and your family have a safe and Merry Christmas.   

Thank God!!!! 

20 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Why? I haven't formed a strong opinion yet, but I've seen a fair bit of Cousins and he has played like a near-elite level QB for 3 seasons now. He's not the problem with that franchise by a long shot.

He's fine.  He's a gamer, he can make all the throws from the pocket.  His accuracy is spotty - he's a "streaky" player who will have Fitz-like games/months of staggering inaccuracy where you wonder what the hell is wrong with the guy.  He's played at his best in highly detailed passing offenses with well-defined reads and specific coverage beaters designed by the likes of Shannahan and McVay.  He can't elevate the team around him like Brady or Rogers - he's really more of a system guy.  He's not athletic.  I've never seen Cousins make a play and thought to myself, "Wow, no other QB could make a play like that."  To my mind he's a lot like Tyrod but the inverse - they're both in the "middle tier" of NFL QBs; neither can win games on their own.  Cousins (unlike Tyrod) can operate a traditional NFL passing offense but can't do much if you take away his passing weapons or put him under pressure.  Tyrod (unlike Cousins) doesn't need too many weapons and can change the game with his legs and unpredictability, but can't operate a rudimentary passing attack.  

Basically we're getting rid of one form of "meh" QB for another - PLUS TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS.  I'm not kidding, I'll stop watching them.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm definitely not wanting this, but would the Bills consider trading Tre'davious White along with one of the firsts to move up to get a top QB in the draft, or to trade for cousins?  I don't want that to happen, as I think White can be elite, but would a team that has been in QB purgatory for so long consider it.  Just brought it up for discussion.

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He's fine.  He's a gamer, he can make all the throws from the pocket.  His accuracy is spotty - he's a "streaky" player who will have Fitz-like games/months of staggering inaccuracy where you wonder what the hell is wrong with the guy.  He's played at his best in highly detailed passing offenses with well-defined reads and specific coverage beaters designed by the likes of Shannahan and McVay.  He can't elevate the team around him like Brady or Rogers - he's really more of a system guy.  He's not athletic.  I've never seen Cousins make a play and thought to myself, "Wow, no other QB could make a play like that."  To my mind he's a lot like Tyrod but the inverse - they're both in the "middle tier" of NFL QBs; neither can win games on their own.  Cousins (unlike Tyrod) can operate a traditional NFL passing offense but can't do much if you take away his passing weapons or put him under pressure.  Tyrod (unlike Cousins) doesn't need too many weapons and can change the game with his legs and unpredictability, but can't operate a rudimentary passing attack.  

Basically we're getting rid of one form of "meh" QB for another - PLUS TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS.  I'm not kidding, I'll stop watching them.

Fair enough, but it's not true to say that he has accuracy issues. He's measurably one of the most accurate QBs in the league - look at completion pct and ypa the last three seasons.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CousKi00.htm

16 minutes ago, Zac said:

LMAO.  The whole point of going after Cousins would be to save the draft picks.

And even then, I don't really want him.  

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Fair enough, but it's not true to say that he has accuracy issues. He's measurably one of the most accurate QBs in the league - look at completion pct and ypa the last three seasons.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CousKi00.htm

I dunno.  He doesn't seem like a clutch qb or the sort that can elevate those around him.  Maybe I am wrong.

He's not my last choice, but not my first.  I am ambivalent, but I definitely don't want to trade a boatload of picks to get him.

And if Shady is right, why would we?

Edited by Dr. Who

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

And even then, I don't really want him.  

I dunno.  He doesn't seem like a clutch qb or the sort that can elevate those around him.  Maybe I am wrong.

He's not might last choice, but not my first.  I am ambivalent, but I definitely don't want to trade a boatload of picks to get him.

And if Shady is right, why would we?

I get that. He doesn't seem to always shine in clutch moments. But he is very productive, and my hunch is that he's the sort of qb who gets better with age because he's pretty smart, a good and quick field reader, and can make all of the throws. Barring injury, I suspect he'll play for a long time.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I get that. He doesn't seem to always shine in clutch moments. But he is very productive, and my hunch is that he's the sort of qb who gets better with age because he's pretty smart, a good and quick field reader, and can make all of the throws. Barring injury, I suspect he'll play for a long time.

Sounds a bit like Rich Gannon.  For the right price, I could be persuaded, but it sounds like lots of money and draft picks could be involved.

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He's an accurate QB overall Dave.  He has ridiculous stretches of inaccuracy, often at key times in the game.

47 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

So I assume then that they're going to tag Cousins and trade him?  Because they can't trade him until after the start of the new league year, and they can't trade him unless he's under contract.

They also can't sign him to a new deal (that, say, Buffalo negotiated with him with Washington's permission) in order to trade him, since there's the chance that Buffalo would back out of the deal, plus there are cap ramifications resulting from trading a player with unpaid guarantees.

It would have to be a tag and trade.

Exactly

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

How does Washington have the leverage for those type of demands?  Go ahead and franchise him for a third year...

They have very little leverage.   Only Cleveland has the draft capital to match what Skins are asking, and Cleveland won’t give up those picks when they’re in the driver seat for the top pick.

Cousins situation is similar to Brees in SD a decade back.   skins don’t have the flexibility to franchise Cousins again, and it’s highly unlikely teams give up that much in a trade AND pay a huge contract.