12-11: McDermott and Coordinator Pressers

26CornerBlitz

13 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Indeed.

I felt for almost the entirety of the drought that the Bills had no plan, just a succession of duct tapings and bandaids. Whether anyone likes it or not, this team HAS a direction, finally. I happen to like it, since it's all I've really asked for for a LONG time.

I'll cut the mentally-deficient newbie some slack. Maybe he doesn't know how to use search. :lol:

Hopefully the long term plan involves bringing in a franchise QB.

Personally, I have no idea where they are going for said QB, but it should make it a fun off season.

I wonder if they find out if Luck is healthy and they make a run at him knowing there is MAJOR riff between him and the Colts. Just a thought.

Just now, njbuff said:

Hopefully the long term plan involves bringing in a franchise QB.

Personally, I have no idea where they are going for said QB, but it should make it a fun off season.

I wonder if they find out if Luck is healthy and they make a run at him knowing there is MAJOR riff between him and the Colts. Just a thought.

I wouldn't be opposed.

Then use every other pick we have left to get OL/WR/TE/RB

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Note I said "picks."

Use FA for the defense.

Rookies are cheap.

Some good D prospects this year will be hard to ignore.

I was thinking the WR position looks kinda weak in this draft, so they might have to use FA for that.

Just now, njbuff said:

Some good D prospects this year will be hard to ignore.

I was thinking the WR position looks kinda weak in this draft, so they might have to use FA for that.

And honestly, I'm not sure how much they need to address WR beyond a speed guy.

Just now, joesixpack said:

And honestly, I'm not sure how much they need to address WR beyond a speed guy.

Sign John Brown and get it over with. Done.

He shouldn't be too expensive, but you never know how these teams set the marketplace for UFA's.

2 hours ago, Bill_with_it said:

Did you not think that Sean might have thought that a very inexperienced Brissett playing qb in a blizzard driving the full length if the field making a mistake somewher aling the lines wasnt part if the thought to punt? Thats what variables are. It isnt in a vacuum, sunny day, Andrew Luck as the qb. Its Brissett in a snow storm. 

I didn't. I thought he was a too conservative imbecile who cannot be entrusted with whatever QB savior Beanie is going to draft.

56 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

8-7-1 would be impressive.

9-7 and a playoff berth would be much better.

Isn't step 1 of every team in the NFL getting to the playoffs?

of course it it.   But to expect that wit ha rookie HC is really asking a lot.  

I was all in hoping for success until I say and remembered the limitations of Taylor.   

I was this close |     |   to thinking TT had turned the corner then wham he slammed the door of reality back in my face. 

11 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

My targets for FA are DTs Donald and/or latuleleileielileiele

Is Donald a FA?

I thought he signed a mega-deal with the Rams............... or are they at an impasse. I don't know.

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

of course it it.   But to expect that wit ha rookie HC is really asking a lot.  

I was all in hoping for success until I say and remembered the limitations of Taylor.   

I was this close |     |   to thinking TT had turned the corner then wham he slammed the door of reality back in my face. 

I think 9-7 (maybe a miracle 10-6) is quite impressive with no QB. And a playoff appearance to boot.

I say a miracle 10-6 cause if the Pats lose, they may be a little flat knowing they won't catch the Steelers with Pittsburgh's remaining schedule.

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Is Donald a FA?

I thought he signed a mega-deal with the Rams............... or are they at an impasse. I don't know.

I think 9-7 (maybe a miracle 10-6) is quite impressive with no QB. And a playoff appearance to boot.

I say a miracle 10-6 cause if the Pats lose, they may be a little flat knowing they won't catch the Steelers with Pittsburgh's remaining schedule.

He's still on his rookie deal with a big pay day coming. NFW he makes it to UFA.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not nearly as many people(more like people who don't understand football) would be killing him had they went for it and didn't get it then punting and ending up in a tie or loss yesterday.

Given the flow of the game, time left in OT and a tie killing their playoff chances that was a no brainer of a decision. 

He made a bad decision. He got lucky.

McDermott is the smartest man in Buffalo from the sound of his presser.?

Totally a bad decision. What bothers me is he got lucky and now hell make the same gutless call every game.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not nearly as many people(more like people who don't understand football) would be killing him had they went for it and didn't get it then punting and ending up in a tie or loss yesterday.

Given the flow of the game, time left in OT and a tie killing their playoff chances that was a no brainer of a decision. 

As I said I disagreed with his decision.  But to say its a no brainer is not accurate at all.  It seems like the people giving him grief around the decision wont even acknowledge the fact that the decision has to be made considering variables.  The average 4th down conversion rate in the NFL is currently 44%.  The Bills are one of the worst teams in the league at picking up 4th down conversions, coming in at just below 17%.  So I ask you, with your season on the line and a 83% chance youll fail, do you still think its a no brainer? 

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

As I said I disagreed with his decision.  But to say its a no brainer is not accurate at all.  It seems like the people giving him grief around the decision wont even acknowledge the fact that the decision has to be made considering variables.  The average 4th down conversion rate in the NFL is currently 44%.  The Bills are one of the worst teams in the league at picking up 4th down conversions, coming in at just below 17%.  So I ask you, with your season on the line and a 83% chance youll fail, do you still think its a no brainer? 

you know who you're talking to...right?

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Indeed.

I felt for almost the entirety of the drought that the Bills had no plan, just a succession of duct tapings and bandaids. Whether anyone likes it or not, this team HAS a direction, finally. I happen to like it, since it's all I've really asked for for a LONG time.

I'll cut the mentally-deficient newbie some slack. Maybe he doesn't know how to use search. :lol:

...that's all it was Joe.....people put in positions NOT qualified for and NON-football to rub salt in the wound besides......people well beyond their prime in positions only because of "trust"....hell yes Pegula made mistakes as a neophyte owner AS EXPECTED but he is making a supreme effort to atone...look at the senior level personnel execs he allowed Beane to hire out of HIS check book....Marrone continually preached "culture change" throughout the interview process, which only a fool would deny as a necessity.....and why he offered Marrone the 4 year, $19.6 mil extension....but Brandon and Whaley turned on him (BOTH out of the picture now) so he booked.....McD brings that culture change mindset to the table....will he make mistakes?....don't all rooks?......sure he's been in the league but the HC has to develop the big picture mindset and manage the entire game.....punt hiccup?.....hindsight says yes.....do other FAR MORE EXPERIENCED HC's have hiccups?.....damn right.....but your DIRECTION statement is DEAN ON my friend...may take time, but.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

3 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Totally a bad decision. What bothers me is he got lucky and now hell make the same gutless call every game.

After watching the press conference, I'm now almost certain that he really was playing for the tie.  When asked about the possibility of a tie, he talked about how 2 different teams he's been on have had ties, and both were beneficial to making the playoffs.  When asked about a tie's impact to playoff scenarios, he made it sound like he's an all-seeing psychic who considers every potential butterfly effect before making a decision.  This is apparently why he needed a timeout - I guess you can't consider 10,000+ possibilities in just 40 seconds, but 1 minute 40 seconds works just fine?  However, he later said that he doesn't/won't look at specific playoff scenarios unless we're still in it with 1 game to go, so I think the first take was just coach bluster.

Bottom line (just my opinion, but I think it's right): McDermott was hoping to get lucky and get the win somehow, but mostly was focused on not losing.  Viewed through that lens, punting makes sense, and so does setting that timeout on fire.

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

McEgo

Lol seems like it. I dont care if he doesnt admit hes wrong to the media. I understand not letting them see you sweat. I am bothered bc im starting to think he doesnt see the flaw in certain decisions like the LAC debacle and the pngoing Tolbert storyline

13 minutes ago, teef said:

good talk scott.

Lmao this reminded me of X-men for some reason 

39 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And basically every trade he made.

Hes done a nice job with the players he has/players(below average players) he wanted as Jauron ball has worked to some degree.... This is the 2007 season all over again. 

Ive agreed with you as mcfly and still do when it comes to some of the bonehead trades we made that contradicted what narrative the 'process' was feeding us

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Indeed.

Oh thanks Joe. Your the greatest. You cut me some slack. Can I join your group of average. We can have a big party. Ill make the banner. 18 years and counting. No playoffs. Itll be great. We can order some really average pizza. Get some average drinks. Itll be so average. Cant wait. Make sure you PM me. Looking forward to a really average time with you and your average friends.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Thank you.  I appreciate that.  Was getting that feeling from other discussions, but hadnt got there yet.

Arguing with Scott is like talking to a parrot. Hes gonna say the same things over and over like "shoulda kept dareus" and "mcdermott dumped all the talent because ego" 

Its weird because he can be a Damn good poster when he wants to. 

Edited by BillsEnthusiast

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

The Rams are in Cap hell are they not?

They will be after they pay Sammy.

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Stop with all that fancy relevant to the Bills substantive evidence stuff. That aint ‘loud ‘round these parts...

• Haha (+1) 1

RICK DENNISON: "ADJUSTMENTS AS WE WENT" (7:10)
Offensive Coordinator Rick Dennison spoke with the media on Monday following the teams 13-7 win over the Colts, topics include; changing of the game plan last minute due to injury and other factors, how the weather played a part in calling plays, and looking ahead to the next game.

LESLIE FRAZIER: "OUR GUYS BATTLED" (13:58)
Defensive Coordinator Leslie Frazier spoke with the media Monday following the teams 13-7 victory over the Colts, topics included; adjusting to the snowy conditions during the game, complimenting the fans who were at the game, and players resilience on the season with 3 games left to go.

I know I'm in the minority, but I think it was the right decision.  Look at it this way, Buffalo went 0-2 on 4th downs until that point in the game...if they fail to convert, Colts take over at the 41 and we're looking at a tie, as a best case scenario.

on the other hand, the Colts went 3 and out on 50% of their 2nd half possessions (same as 1st half).  Pin them deep and rely on your stronger side of the ball, rather ran a 3rd string QB on 4th and 1.  the punt was solid, but if the defense executes and gets off the field with a 3 and out, then we're likely getting the ball back around midfield and only need a field.goal to win.

Playoffs on the line or not, I think McDermott took a timeout to carefully assess this very thing and took a gamble on his defense stopping them as opposed to Joe Webb and the offense converting.  

At the end of the day, we were fortunate that the defense did just enough to end the drive and that Joe Webb/DT connected on a highlight feel play.  But to act like McDermott was playing not to lose, is absurd.  

These are the types of decisions that can make or break a team at this point of the season, give credit to the coaches and team on executing

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He went for two 4th down conversions in yesterday's game alone

Do you think he would have made those calls if the weather wasnt crazy? Lol were talkin about a 4th and 1. He went for it earlier on 4th and longer than 1 and failed twice. It was a bad decision the fact he had tie on his mind if u watch the presser just confirms it. We need to think win at that stage. A tie is the same as losing at this point 

Dude your turning off the game saga in the gdt was hilarious. I was banned to comment but it had me dying in my delorean dmc12. Had to laugh cuz i knew u were gonna turn the game back on, the bbfs was too strong to not come back for more abuse

2 hours ago, dabills21 said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I think it was the right decision.  Look at it this way, Buffalo went 0-2 on 4th downs until that point in the game...if they fail to convert, Colts take over at the 41 and we're looking at a tie, as a best case scenario.

on the other hand, the Colts went 3 and out on 50% of their 2nd half possessions (same as 1st half).  Pin them deep and rely on your stronger side of the ball, rather ran a 3rd string QB on 4th and 1.  the punt was solid, but if the defense executes and gets off the field with a 3 and out, then we're likely getting the ball back around midfield and only need a field.goal to win.

Playoffs on the line or not, I think McDermott took a timeout to carefully assess this very thing and took a gamble on his defense stopping them as opposed to Joe Webb and the offense converting.  

At the end of the day, we were fortunate that the defense did just enough to end the drive and that Joe Webb/DT connected on a highlight feel play.  But to act like McDermott was playing not to lose, is absurd.  

These are the types of decisions that can make or break a team at this point of the season, give credit to the coaches and team on executing

I agree with you.  Plus, it's not like we have a reliable big back that makes that decision easier.  The lack of 4th down success up to that point is a great point that has been overlooked by many posters.  Of course we have Shady but surely Indy was going to stack the box and there were plenty of negative plays in the game with running backs losing their footing.  I think they made the right call under those specific circumstances.  In any other game...maybe they probably go for it there but with the weather other factors that you mentioned...I think they made the right call as well.  It was a tough call to make but I'm glad it worked out