Dion Dawkins Standing Out Now

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Why don't they give Groy a shot?  Didn't they just sign Wood to an extension or am I misremembering?  For that matter, why is Vlad starting?

Really don't like Dennison, Castillo, wonder if these fellas can evaluate properly.  And they are set to hopefully draft and develop a franchise qb.

Wish I had more confidence in them.

The fact that Dennison has a hand in drafting a franchise qb worries me.   Hopefully Dennison is gone and a new OC is here to make that pick.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BBills88 said:

Glenn+Dawkins+Wood+ Incognito+(INSERT HERE)  would be a great line

I think you'd look for a Dawkins type player again in this draft.  Seems to be able to play both guard and tackle really well.  That versatility is huge.  We need more mobile position flexible guys like him on that line.  I expect them to draft at least one maybe two lineman.  

10 minutes ago, BBills88 said:

Glenn+Dawkins+Wood+ Incognito+(INSERT HERE)  would be a great line

I believe these two individuals will not be on the roster next year. 

I like them both, but I keep hearing that there will be more turnover next off-season, and it will be players we've become fond of. 

If Quenton Nelson from ND falls, we should take a look.  I know everyone wants us to package the farm to move up and take a QB, but he is a once every few years guard porspect, and still with a 1st and two seconds can move around if we need to.  Personally, i wouldnt be opposed of going OL OL in round 1, and going DT, LB, LB/DE in rounds 2 and 3. 

For QB go for Cousins or maybe the odd man out in Bradford/Bridgewater.  If you get it wrong, you can take the QB in 2019 and have a young OL and young up-and-coming defense already in place.  

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

The weakest spot on our OL is center. Wood cannot stay balanced to block, and either can't read the scheme or doesn't know who to blcok.

It's terrible.  

I disagree. Wood isn't an all-pro but he's pretty consistent. He gets beat here and there but his play isn't anything that'd make me say, "He shouldn't be in there." Plus, he calls out all the protections. McCoy has said on numerous occasions that Wood is one of the most important guys on offense for them.

Ducasse and Mills on the other hand.... yeesh. I wonder if Henderson isn't quite 100% yet because how have they not considered playing him over Mills? Maybe he hasn't adjusted fully to the zone concepts or whatever but he's more athletic than Mills at the least. There was a play this past Sunday where Mills completely whiffed on his block where he was supposed to seal off the backside. Had he executed the block, McCoy likely runs in for a touchdown. Instead, he barely got a hand on the defender who got free pretty quick and made the tackle. 

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I agree Wood has been overrated for much of his career, although I like him as a person from what I can tell, but the weakest spot? In all due respect, in my mind it belongs to Mills and it's not even close....putrid is the word I'd use for Mills....not good, maybe average in one respect or another is the way I'd describe Wood. 

The difference between Mills and woods is that most people believe Woods is successful and capable as a starter where everybody knows Mills is just a fill-in for the position. If we want a strong line we already know we need to upgrade right tackle but upgrading Center would be much more valuable to this team that it would be right tackle, especially when you consider that Cordy Glenn is out with an injury and we could easily work around the entire situation to take Mills out of lineup

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

I disagree. Wood isn't an all-pro but he's pretty consistent. He gets beat here and there but his play isn't anything that'd make me say, "He shouldn't be in there." Plus, he calls out all the protections. McCoy has said on numerous occasions that Wood is one of the most important guys on offense for them.

Ducasse and Mills on the other hand.... yeesh. I wonder if Henderson isn't quite 100% yet because how have they not considered playing him over Mills? Maybe he hasn't adjusted fully to the zone concepts or whatever but he's more athletic than Mills at the least. There was a play this past Sunday where Mills completely whiffed on his block where he was supposed to seal off the backside. Had he executed the block, McCoy likely runs in for a touchdown. Instead, he barely got a hand on the defender who got free pretty quick and made the tackle. 

The position is one of the most important positions in this team, I don't think it has to do with wood. I would bet that groin could do very well there or we could save a lot of money by replacing that huge contract by a trade. He is no Max Unger but he could probably get something for us

With so many early round draft picks the Bills need to load up on QB, O Line and D Line almost exclusively. 

Dont get cute with swapping picks etc.  Just do your job, scout and evaluate talent and pick the guys who are slotted where you're picking. Trust the process!

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I agree Wood has been overrated for much of his career, although I like him as a person from what I can tell, but the weakest spot? In all due respect, in my mind it belongs to Mills and it's not even close....putrid is the word I'd use for Mills....not good, maybe average in one respect or another is the way I'd describe Wood. 

Agree. Woods is no Mangold, but he's not horrible either. Ducasse and Mills are horrible...

2 hours ago, Bill Murray said:

If Quenton Nelson from ND falls, we should take a look.  I know everyone wants us to package the farm to move up and take a QB, but he is a once every few years guard porspect, and still with a 1st and two seconds can move around if we need to.  Personally, i wouldnt be opposed of going OL OL in round 1, and going DT, LB, LB/DE in rounds 2 and 3. 

For QB go for Cousins or maybe the odd man out in Bradford/Bridgewater.  If you get it wrong, you can take the QB in 2019 and have a young OL and young up-and-coming defense already in place.  

Here's the thing...we don't have the draft picks to do it then.  This year we have the draft picks to move up and there are some good QBs at the top.  We don't have the luxury next year with the draft picks.  Do it now...

2 hours ago, Bill Murray said:

Would love to see Nelson in a Bills uni. Like Dawkins he is incredibly strong. Two issues I guess. Lateral quickness - need to see more of it. And can he play on the right side, because Cogs is good for a couple more years (unless they go for cap savings and decide to part ways). I assume moving over should be an easy adjustment. O line could be one of the best bar none.

5 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

The difference between Mills and woods is that most people believe Woods is successful and capable as a starter where everybody knows Mills is just a fill-in for the position. If we want a strong line we already know we need to upgrade right tackle but upgrading Center would be much more valuable to this team that it would be right tackle, especially when you consider that Cordy Glenn is out with an injury and we could easily work around the entire situation to take Mills out of lineup

The position is one of the most important positions in this team, I don't think it has to do with wood. I would bet that groin could do very well there or we could save a lot of money by replacing that huge contract by a trade. He is no Max Unger but he could probably get something for us

Google it up, man. McCoy and Taylor both have made comments in the past about how important Wood is to the offense. Now, that may have changed a little now that they're using the zone scheme as opposed to the power/pull scheme they ran the last two seasons. Roman's playbook and blocking schemes were very fluid. They'd line up and Wood is the one directing how the line is going to block based on the look they're getting from the defense. 

And on a line with Mills and Ducasse, I just have a hard time getting behind the idea of harping on Wood for not being good enough. It's a five man unit that needs all five guys to do their jobs as assigned otherwise it can go downhill in a hurry. To the right of him are two incredibly inconsistent players and that has an effect on his play. Say Ducasse misses a block or blocks the wrong guy, that creates a problem for Wood. The defender might zip past Wood but it may not be on Wood for that happening. 

Overall, the zone scheme doesn't play to the strengths of this OL. They really had Roman's system down and they excelled at it, especially last season. And that's a scheme that's a lot more complex than the zone stuff. I know they've implemented some stuff from Roman's playbook but the majority of it is all Dennison's stuff which, as we know, is modeled after Shanahan and Kubiak. 

I wonder if one of the reasons McD went with Dennison happens to be because Dennison was the OC for Denver when they beat Carolina in the Super Bowl a couple years ago where McD was the DC. "I know, I'll hire the guy that beat me in the biggest game of my career." I'm not trashing that notion by any means, just curious. 

Really, all I want is a coaching staff that thoroughly evaluates their roster and pinpoints the things that their players are A) exceptional at doing, B) show the ability to expand upon their existing skill set, and C) identifies what their players don't do so well and then design their playbooks based off the concepts of A and B. Wade Phillips has been coaching like that for years and it should leave no question as to why he continues to get jobs. He identifies what his players do well and he puts them in schemes that allow them to maximize the things they excel at. It's not rocket science.